Update: Microsoft reverses course on XBL Gold - no price hike, F2P games now actually free

crispy4000

• crispy4000 changed the title to Microsoft doubles increases price of XBL Gold, to $60 for 6 months
  • crispy4000 changed the title to Microsoft doubles price of XBL Gold, to $60 for 6 months
7 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Ummm had there been any announcement or press statement or anything made about this? Also, like @TheLeonsaid, anything about GamePass' price then as well or...?

Not yet.  It's people in retail corroborating it right now.  There's at least two sources.

Isi79eo.jpg?fb
IMGUR.COM

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Grain of salt of course, but the signs point to it being real.

7 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

More reason to game on PC.

More of the same reasons, I'd say.  It's another reminder that platform-wide multiplayer paywalls are born of corporate greed.

I wonder how Epic feels about this price hike, with Fortnite still not technically F2P on Xbox.  Or Activision, for that matter.

24 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

I fully expect them to gradually up the price of game pass ala Netflix as well.

I know people love those services but I think it in the long game it’s possible they’ll be a net negative for the industry. 

Yeah I think as long as Microsoft keeps the price below Netflix they will avoid most controversy when upping the price. 4k Netflix is already $17.99 a month. MS has a few years of wiggle room as they gradually increase the price. I know i'm not looking to subscribe to another monthly service, but Game Pass is pretty attractive(for now anyways). 

23 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Why keep it when you have game pass ultimate?

Would you rather have ten million people paying $15 a month and 70 million paying $10 a month, or 80 million paying $15 a month now, then $20 a month in a year or two?

The reason to keep it are mainstream gamers who predominantly play games like CoD, Madden, NB2K, Fortnite, etc.  Many of them wouldn't consider paying for Games Pass, but will pay to play their games online.  Might as well hit them with a $120 annual fee if they're not all-in.  To those who could be swayed, it makes Games Pass for $180 a year seem like a better value, and pushes them towards it.

They clearly want to have as many GP subscribers as possible while still leveraging the online paywall to its fullest.  It's how they'll get the largest monthly intake from their console base.  That is, unless these consumers reject this move with their wallets.

• crispy4000 changed the title to Microsoft doubles price of XBL Gold, to $60 for 6 months [current subscribers grandfathered in]
Social_1920x1080.jpg?fit=1920%2C1080
NEWS.XBOX.COM

Since we launched Xbox Live (18 years ago!), we’ve been working to make it the most advanced multiplayer network available, for the greatest community of gamers — and there are a lot of you. Millions of people come together on Xbox to play with friends and discover great games. We invest in our community by […]

So, what does this mean for you?

• If you’re an existing online 12-month or 6-month Xbox Live Gold member, there’s no price change. If you choose to renew your membership, it will renew at the current price.
  • The price of a 1-month Gold membership is increasing $1 USD and the price of a 3-month membership is increasing $5 USD or the equivalent amount in your local market.
  • If you’d like to upgrade your Gold membership to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate your remaining Gold time will also convert directly to Ultimate (up to 36 months). For example, if you have 11 months of Xbox Live Gold now, and you upgrade to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, those 11 months convert to 11 months of Ultimate at no additional cost.

... Going forward, new pricing will be 1-month for $10.99, 3-months for $29.99, and 6-months for $59.99, or your local market equivalent. You can always visit your account to manage your membership, and prices won’t adjust until at least 45 days after you receive the messages.

You can renew at the current price if you're currently subscribed.  Hard to tell how long that will continue from their messaging.

• crispy4000 changed the title to Microsoft doubles price of XBL Gold, to $60 for 6 months, renewals stay at current pricing (for now?)
1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

The reason to keep it are mainstream gamers who predominantly play games like CoD, Madden, NB2K, Fortnite, etc.  Many of them wouldn't consider paying for Games Pass, but will pay to play their games online.  Might as well hit them with a $120 annual fee if they're not all-in.  To those who could be swayed, it makes Games Pass for $180 a year seem like a better value, and pushes them towards it.

They clearly want to have as many GP subscribers as possible while still leveraging the online paywall to its fullest.  It's how they'll get the largest monthly intake from their console base.  That is, unless these consumers reject this move with their wallets, which is unlikely.

Well that's kinda what I mean. What I'm saying is that they want Gold and GP Ultimate to be as close as possible so that the $5 upgrade is a no-brainer, even if you don't intend to fully utilize it. 

Look for GPU to have regular deals and gimmicks to make it better/cheaper than a plain Gold account. Once enough people move over, Gold will just go away. But they can't do it right now with only 10(+) of their 100+ million Live accounts being on Game Pass.

This might also be their way of leveraging the cost of Game Pass without admitting that Game Pass needs to increase in price so soon.

EDIT: Also they just spent 7 billion on a publisher, with more rumored to be acquired. Not saying one has to do with the other, but if you're the only console that can play Bethesda games....

pay me principal skinner GIF

16 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Well that's kinda what I mean. What I'm saying is that they want Gold and GP Ultimate to be as close as possible so that the $5 upgrade is a no-brainer, even if you don't intend to fully utilize it. 

Look for GPU to have regular deals and gimmicks to make it better/cheaper than a plain Gold account. Once enough people move over, Gold will just go away. But they can't do it right now with only 10(+) of their 100+ million Live accounts being on Game Pass.

This might also be their way of leveraging the cost of Game Pass without admitting that Game Pass needs to increase in price so soon.

Gold's not going away when they can still make extra money off it and leverage it to inflate pricing.  That $5 upgrade wouldn't actually be a no-brainer if, as on PC, the multiplayer paywall was absent.

Why can't they just make Ultimate principally a cloud gaming add-on?  Because they realize the lost opportunity to price gouge.

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Gold's not going away when they can still make money off it.  That $5 upgrade wouldn't actually be a no-brainer if, like on PC, the paywall was absent.

Why can't they just make Ultimate principally a cloud gaming add-on?  Because they realize the lost opportunity to price gouge.

Hey I'm just trying to make sense of a mind-boggling decision. This seems to go against pretty much all the murmurs and hints and the press is gonna have a field day with it. It's gonna be a rough weekend for PR. 

18 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Hey I'm just trying to make sense of a mind-boggling decision. This seems to go against pretty much all the murmurs and hints and the press is gonna have a field day with it. It's gonna be a rough weekend for PR. 

Sure, but it's not like that's going to change anything.  Everyone will go back to remembering that it's just another silly fee.

I don't think it's a mind boggling decision at all.  They have all the leverage they need to test consumer tolerance on this.  After all, they already convinced enough of us that it shouldn't be free to begin with.

The only thing that could wake them up is F2P game delistings.

Damn so much for the rumors they would drop it. MS has done a lot to look customer friendly and then fucks a lot of it up with this. Glad I have GPU until 01/23. Trying to get a 3 year stack of GPU from rewards points before GP either increases in cost or they make the rewards points too high to be worth it. 

12 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Damn so much for the rumors they would drop it. MS has done a lot to look customer friendly and then fucks a lot of it up with this. Glad I have GPU until 01/23. Trying to get a 3 year stack of GPU from rewards points before GP either increases in cost or they make the rewards points too high to be worth it. 

I need 35,000 more points to have enough for a year.

51 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

MS announced next month's Games with Gold today, which is way earlier than they usually do. And there's 5 games instead of the usual 4.

Coincidence? Or a spoonful of sugar?

Maybe it's a coincidence one of those games is being given away on Epic next week...

xbox-live-gold.jpg?w=1200&strip=all
VENTUREBEAT.COM

Xbox Live Gold is getting a price hike that only makes sense if Microsft wants subscribers to shift to Xbox Game Pass instead.

So if someone wants to get a console to play Fortnite with friends, they’d end up paying $420 for the less powerful Xbox Series S in the first year. Where they would only pay $400 for the digital version of a fully next-gen PS5.

An interesting take.   But given most people won't stick to F2P, it's probably better to look at it as $420 for Series S, or $460 for PS5 with a prior gen subscription library.  Plus all the years of follow up payments for either to retain full online functionality.

3 hours ago, number305 said:

So Microsoft now has two services Gamepass ultimate, and Xbox Live Gold.  One is the absolute best value in gaming, and one is the absolute worst.  

I think that's the idea. I mean, it's the Wingman Effect.

You don't want your wingman to be more attractive than you, right?