Update: Microsoft reverses course on XBL Gold - no price hike, F2P games now actually free

crispy4000

Console manufactures have a vested interest in keeping cheaters at bay for the same reasons they do piracy.  If someone's able to cheat online in a console game beyond what the game itself allows, they're likely running a modded system that's able to run illegitimate code.  The manufactures do have recourse to ban consoles though, unless they totally screwed up on that or hackers win the day.

So I can understand an argument for wanting to play online on consoles if you're concerned about cheating.  But it's completely backwards to think console manufacturers deserve a subscription fee for giving us the privilege to play in their garden.  The decision to keep their platforms closed isn't losing them money.  It's quite literally the opposite.  And remains true with or without online paywalls.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Console manufactures have a vested interest in keeping cheaters at bay for the same reasons they do piracy.  If someone's able to cheat online in a console game beyond what the game itself allows, they're likely running a modded system that's able to run illegitimate code.  The manufactures do have recourse to ban consoles though, unless they totally screwed up on that or hackers win the day.

So I can understand an argument for wanting to play online on consoles if you're concerned about cheating.  But it's completely backwards to think console manufacturers deserve a subscription fee for giving us the privilege to play in their garden.  The decision to keep their platforms closed isn't losing them money.  It's quite literally the opposite.  And remains true with or without online paywalls.

This is stated more eloquently than I was able to state it. 

So I just realized something....

That free-to-play paywall barrier of Xbox Live was technically the only thing keeping Final Fantasy XIV from coming to Xbox. I remember interviews from way back where Squeenix basically said they'd love to bring it to Xbox but they didn't like the Gold paywall and that it was a source of conflict between MS and Squeenix. Phil Spencer even said he'd like to get it on the platform and that he was talking with them to try to work something out.

Now that they're removing that requirement, there might not be anything keeping Squeenix from porting it to Series X/S and XBO.

:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

46 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

That free-to-play paywall barrier of Xbox Live was technically the only thing keeping Final Fantasy XIV from coming to Xbox. I remember interviews from way back where Squeenix basically said they'd love to bring it to Xbox but they didn't like the Gold paywall and that it was a source of conflict between MS and Squeenix. Phil Spencer even said he'd like to get it on the platform and that he was talking with them to try to work something out.

Now that they're removing that requirement, there might not be anything keeping Squeenix from porting it to Series X/S and XBO.

:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

Does FFXIV do crossplay? If not the idea of them bringing it to a new platform seems pretty wild given the way leveling is structured. It would be kind of cool and kind of horrifying to see a whole batch of new players go through every expansion at the same time.

2 hours ago, Moa said:

Does FFXIV do crossplay? If not the idea of them bringing it to a new platform seems pretty wild given the way leveling is structured. It would be kind of cool and kind of horrifying to see a whole batch of new players go through every expansion at the same time.

As far as i know you can use the same character between platforms

18 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I find it odd that FF iv would need gold, when FF XI on the 360 didn’t.