Do you have any hot takes regarding food?

stepee

9 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Chicago Deep Dish Pizza is trash. Don’t @ me. 

I was in Chicago for work awhile back and ordered one because why not, right?  I got to pick it up and the guy hands me this maybe 10x10" box.  When I take it from his hands I almost drop it because I was not expecting a box that small that supposedly held pizza to weigh several pounds.  I get it back to my hotel room and couldn't finish half of it.  The thing was so thick and had so much cheese...it was basically a firm baked lasagna more than it could be considered pizza.  Now whenever I see "Chicago Deep Dish Style" on a menu or something here on the Right Coast, I know that it's not really even close.

I really want to keep contributing to this thread, but I think American cheese is my only hot take regarding food and that makes me sad!

Do boneless wings count? Boneless wings are bullshit. Glorified chicken nuggets. It's fucking breast meat.

I have had bonless wings that were really made with wing meat. They were awesome. But then, one day, they clearly started using breast meat. It was the last time I ever got food from that place. 

Edit: Just looked the place up and they closed down. 

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You should follow my ordering instructions I posted in the other burger thread and see if you still hate it as much.

I didn't hate it, it just wasn't special.  To me it was an average fast food burger.  I don't get why so many of the left coast transplants around here pine for it.  But next time I am in the correct part of the country for an In-n-Out I will try it your way and see if that changes things.

2 hours ago, Joe said:

I really want to keep contributing to this thread, but I think American cheese is my only hot take regarding food and that makes me sad!

Do boneless wings count? Boneless wings are bullshit. Glorified chicken nuggets. It's fucking breast meat.

If it makes you feel any better you are 100% right about american cheese.

Just now, Bacon said:

I actually really like Detroit style pizza as well. For me, only NY style is better. 

I was going to say that to make this thread relevant to you, you should share any cold takes you have about food. This is a good one!

4 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Detroit-style pizza is incredible, so you are just very wrong!

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

The only pizza variation that looks like absolute bullshit is St.Louis style. Detroit is just glorified Sicilian, but I'm sure it's tasty.

Detroit style is too doughy. But if St. Louis style is the one with the weird cheese then I guess that's probably worse.

3 hours ago, Joe said:

Calling them wings is the bullshit part, right? I just want chicken, breading, and sauce, I don’t care what you call it. They’re delicious. 

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Aren't they legally called wyngz?

My wife is from Northwest Mexico and boneless wings are HUGE there. It's so fucking bizarre to me. They just call them "boneless" and don't even know that they are supposed to be imitation wings. They just love them even though they have a billion better food options. Shit like this:

w1440-h810-k-no
ELGUAPOBONELESS.NEGOCIO.SITE

Restaurante en Hermosillo

Domino's used to have these Breaded Buffalo Boneless Wings where the buffalo flavoring was in the breading. There was no sauce involved at all, but they came with ranch. This was before Domino's redid their crust. I loved that shit. I didn't even want pizza from Domino's because I wanted that chicken. 

No one here would like it. 

On 12/29/2020 at 5:03 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Eating is a terribly overrated experience that I long to be replaced by a convenient pill or nutrient-rich beverage.

Food goes in one end and out the other - what's the big deal?

#futurepoop

Ultimately, I kind of agree. I don't cook unless I'm cooking for other people, when it's just for myself I'll eat like a salad, a sandwich, and a multivitamin or whatever and I'm not particularly fussed about what it tastes like.

But I do love cooking when it's for other people.

1 hour ago, johnny said:

vegan >>>

I will say this. After going vegetarian, then dating a vegan for 3 years (except she ate honey, that's a controversial subject amongst vegans), and also having 3 vegan roommates, I have had more fun cooking vegan food than anything else. You can have so much creativity. I made vegan potstickers that were honestly the best potstickers I've ever had, vegan or not. I made vegan ricotta that was fucking bomb. Chicken wings are my favorite food on the planet, and 100% of "vegan wings" are terrible, but buffalo fried cauliflower? Fuuuuuuck that shit is good. Not enough to make me not want chicken wings, but enough to scratch the itch.

I don't put a label on myself. I do eat meat occasionally. I ate meat on Christmas. Every once in a while I eat a frozen pepperoni pizza because it's 3am and that's all that I can get at the time. I have no shame in it. BUT.... I love vegan food. Once you get out of the realm of "prepare your meat like so, then follow the bullshit rest of the recipe," you can have so much fun.

The only thing vegan food can't replace is solid cheese. It's terrible, 100% of the time.

Honestly though, at this point I actually prefer beyond/impossible brats/burgers, since they don't fuck my stomach up so much.

2 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

I will say this. After going vegetarian, then dating a vegan for 3 years (except she ate honey, that's a controversial subject amongst vegans), and also having 3 vegan roommates, I have had more fun cooking vegan food than anything else. You can have so much creativity. I made vegan potstickers that were honestly the best potstickers I've ever had, vegan or not. I made vegan ricotta that was fucking bomb. Chicken wings are my favorite food on the planet, and 100% of "vegan wings" are terrible, but buffalo fried cauliflower? Fuuuuuuck that shit is good. Not enough to make me not want chicken wings, but enough to scratch the itch.

I don't put a label on myself. I do eat meat occasionally. I ate meat on Christmas. Every once in a while I eat a frozen pepperoni pizza because it's 3am and that's all that I can get at the time. I have no shame in it. BUT.... I love vegan food. Once you get out of the realm of "prepare your meat like so, then follow the bullshit rest of the recipe," you can have so much fun.

The only thing vegan food can't replace is solid cheese. It's terrible, 100% of the time.

Honestly though, at this point I actually prefer beyond/impossible brats/burgers, since they don't fuck my stomach up so much.

grill GIF

As someone who will never be vegan I'd rather be lied to and eat vegan buffalo wings than breaded seasoned cauliflower. Now, you may be more disappointed if you tried vegan buffalo wings as your expectations are chicken wings, but many people wouldn't even give "breaded seasoned cauliflower" a shot due to cauliflower being in the name. 

Like, if johnny or Fizzzzle had the unfortunate experience of walking up to me and offering me vegan wings or cauliflower, I'd at least try the wings (before I knew it was just cauliflower) and I most likely wouldn't be willing to try the cauliflower.