Steam Holiday Sale 2020 - Dec 22nd to Jan 5th

crispy4000

Expected to go live at the top of the hour.  What are you all hoping to pick up?

PSA: Make sure to check the free games / EGS giveaway threads to not double dip.  You can always refund on Steam if so.
January's Humble Choice should drop on the 1st or 2nd as well.

EGS's sale is pretty good as well, with a $10 credit for games $14.99 and up.

I've never been enticed by Humble Choice. It always seems like it's got 2 games I already own, one game I know about what don't really need/want, and maaaybe one game that I'm like "I've thought about buying that before when it was on sale." The rest are random indie games that if I'm honest with myself about, I'll never play.

Like right now. Indivisible is a game I have wanted for a while. It has gone on sale for about $20, and I didn't pick it up then. I already own Shining Resonance Refrain. Children of Morta is a game I've thought about getting, but I don't think it would really be my jam. The rest of the games I've never heard of, except One Step from Eden.

10 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I've never been enticed by Humble Choice. It always seems like it's got 2 games I already own, one game I know about what don't really need/want, and maaaybe one game that I'm like "I've thought about buying that before when it was on sale." The rest are random indie games that if I'm honest with myself about, I'll never play.

Like right now. Indivisible is a game I have wanted for a while. It has gone on sale for about $20, and I didn't pick it up then. I already own Shining Resonance Refrain. Children of Morta is a game I've thought about getting, but I don't think it would really be my jam. The rest of the games I've never heard of, except One Step from Eden.

The best one by far was when they had Crash and Spyro collections in there, and you got grandfathered in for the old pricing.  They also give discounts if you try to cancel. It seems to be more if you cancel several months in a row. 

I’ve gotten it for $6 some months. Hard to pass up sometimes.

The Outer Worlds going on sale would be cool. 

Resonance of Fate would be cool to go on sale. I tried to play it on PS3, but I never got into it. I feel like most Japanese publishers never put games on sales, though.

Octopath Traveler would be dope with a massive deal. I think it looks cool, but like I'm not fucking paying $60 for it

The Alliance Alive might be good

13 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Totally fair. I'm still locked in at the "classic" $12 a month price, and I usually feel like at least one game in the bundle is worth that for me. The rest? There's a good chance I'll forget to even claim half of them. 

18 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

VR games. Alyx, Skyrim, the recommendations made in our VR thread, and any new recommends in this thread. 

Also DCS World modules becahse I believe that supports VR and well I have a HOTAS again.

Also, get Doom VFR, Rez Infinite (if you like Rez), Space Pirate Trainer, Fruit Ninja VR (no, really)\, and Waltz of the Wizard (at least the free version)

• Thanks 1

@Zaku3 ALSO, if it's cheap (Steam is down so I can't check :| ), you'll want TheBlu for a "wow" factor VR experience to show off to company/family (when allowed :p ). I think I paid like $5 for it awhile ago when it was on sale, and that's the right price. Also you can get The Visitor for, I think, around $2, to scare the piss out of people :p 

Squadrons is the same price as EGS, but without the coupon. It's frustrating that PC games are not going on sale for the same prices as the console versions. Has this been a thing before? Squadrons dropped to about $16 for PS4 around BF, but never dropped below $25 (until now) on PC - similar experiences with AC: Valhalla and Watch_Dogs: Legion.

50 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Squadrons is the same price as EGS, but without the coupon. It's frustrating that PC games are not going on sale for the same prices as the console versions. Has this been a thing before? Squadrons dropped to about $16 for PS4 around BF, but never dropped below $25 (until now) on PC - similar experiences with AC: Valhalla and Watch_Dogs: Legion.

Sometimes at the end of the year console sales on retail are cheaper due to Black Friday.  PC usually beats those historical lows in a few months.

Squadrons is technically $14 on EGS with the coupon.  If you really want a Steam key, Fanatical has it for $21.50.

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Sometimes at the end of the year console sales on retail are cheaper due to Black Friday.  PC usually beats those historical lows in a few months.

Squadrons is technically $14 on EGS with the coupon.  If you really want a Steam key, Fanatical has it for $21.50.

Trying to get VR to work via EGS sounds like a ridiculous and annoying process, so I definitely want it on Steam :p 

10 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Trolls must have won these steam awards some of these are really bad. Best oustanding visual style and Avengers, BFV and Black Mesa is on there. One game looks like it has no style and Ori is the only one that does. :p

You can't nominate a game for multiple categories (there might have been some exceptions but for the most part you couldn't) and if you don't like any of the suggested choices you have to try and find something which can be tough if you mostly buy your games on sale (i.e. less likely to be from current year and therefore not eligible for many categories). So sometimes you just pick any game that it will let you pick just so that you get the badge.

It might be better if they opened up the nominations at the end of the winter sale leaving it up until the autumn sale when they normally have it. Then you could start nominating games as you play them throughout the year and update them if you play something better until the deadline.

For most categories I had to vote for games I don't own and haven't played.

39 minutes ago, dualhunter said:

You can't nominate a game for multiple categories (there might have been some exceptions but for the most part you couldn't) and if you don't like any of the suggested choices you have to try and find something which can be tough if you mostly buy your games on sale (i.e. less likely to be from current year and therefore not eligible for many categories). So sometimes you just pick any game that it will let you pick just so that you get the badge.

It might be better if they opened up the nominations at the end of the winter sale leaving it up until the autumn sale when they normally have it. Then you could start nominating games as you play them throughout the year and update them if you play something better until the deadline.

For most categories I had to vote for games I don't own and haven't played.

I did some nominations and for some categories you couldn't and some you could like you said, it's been so long that I forgot how it works really. I wish you could see what you did nominate though so I wouldn't have to speculate. The fact of the matter is you can nominate basically any game for some categories, and this one there were a lot of better choices.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter.

23 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I did some nominations and for some categories you couldn't and some you could like you said, it's been so long that I forgot how it works really. I wish you could see what you did nominate though so I wouldn't have to speculate. The fact of the matter is you can nominate basically any game for some categories, and this one there were a lot of better choices.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter.

I'm guessing you could see if you did it in a web browser with multiple tabs open, one of the tabs being the page that lists the categories and current selections. Some categories are easy but there's always one or two where I might just pick a troll choice because it's more fun than a random choice.