Black Panther 2 Won't Recast Chadwick Boseman as T'Challa

Brick

42 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Pretty sure Shuri will be the Panther moing forward... Unless they just make Killmonger the new Panther.

That's if Letitia Wright hasn't pissed them all off, and fucked herself out of a huge career move by posting that anti-vaxxer bullshit.

7 hours ago, Reputator said:

I don't know how you keep it going and do it any justice at this point. I sorta feel like the series should be laid to rest with Boseman's passing.

That would be a huge disservice to him, the rest of the cast, and all the black kids that were happy to finally see themselves in a big budget action film but also as the majority of the cast. There's nothing else Marvel has that would feature such a predominantly black cast. Dropping the series would not allow us to see another movie set in Wakanda and it's the most interesting culture Marvel has put to film. It's also the only culture aside from the Asgardians Marvel has really gone into detail about, but that's neither here nor there.

Set Shuri up as the new Black Panther, as she was in the comics, and continue with the story. What would be interesting is if they give her Black Panther powers or if they'll just leave it as no flowers left after Killmonger burned then all.

A couple of theories on how they can get around this:

1. Shuri becomes the new BP (by the end of the next movie)
    • I would like this idea the best if it wasn't so problematic that the actress is a shit-for-brain anti-vaxxer/COVID-hoaxer
  2. They use the Multiverse to pull in an alternate dimension BP, maybe played by Michael B Jordon (in the other universe he was a good guy, not Killmonger)
    • I like this since MBJ is such an amazing actor, and was Boseman's friend. 
  3. They introduce a different (non-T'Challa) male character to take the BP mantle by the end of the next movie
    • This could work too, but would still be big shoes to fill

• Guillotine 1

7 hours ago, Brick said:

That's if Letitia Wright hasn't pissed them all off, and fucked herself out of a huge career move by posting that anti-vaxxer bullshit.

If Gina Carano hasn't gotten fired, Letitia Wright won't either. They probably told her to shut the fuck up which is why she took her social media down. Plus, I don't think they would have a problem recasting HER. 

Anyway Michael B Jordan as Killmonger Black Panther wouldn't be too far fetched. A lot of fans liked him more anyway and Killmonger was already coming back for the sequel.

Plus there's another character from the comics who became the Panther for a short period of time that they could introduce and use. Kasper Cole.

The series should NOT be put to rest because of Boseman's passing. The character? Sure... for now at least. But the series? No. Not when there are viable alternatives to keep the story going and honor his memory. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

A couple of theories on how they can get around this:

1. Shuri becomes the new BP (by the end of the next movie)
    • I would like this idea the best if it wasn't so problematic that the actress is a shit-for-brain anti-vaxxer/COVID-hoaxer
  2. They use the Multiverse to pull in an alternate dimension BP, maybe played by Michael B Jordon (in the other universe he was a good guy, not Killmonger)
    • I like this since MBJ is such an amazing actor, and was Boseman's friend. 
  3. They introduce a different (non-T'Challa) male character to take the BP mantle by the end of the next movie
    • This could work too, but would still be big shoes to fill

Well they are definitely doing the multiverse thing with Spiderman.  How about if Tobey Maguire gets sucked into our dimension and stuck here... there is already a spiderman.  He could fill the role as the next Black Panther.

• Guillotine 1

46 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Anyway Michael B Jordan as Killmonger Black Panther wouldn't be too far fetched. A lot of fans liked him more anyway and Killmonger was already coming back for the sequel.

Before I saw Civil War and saw that Michael B Jordan was in Black Panther I had assumed that he was going to be Black Panther. Boy was I in for a surprise when he wasn't. Then when I saw Black Panther I was even more surprised to see them just waste his character. Killmonger was much more interesting than Black Panther.

• Guillotine 1

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

This is the MCU, if they want to use Michael B Jordan as Black Panther they can easily come up with a way to revive Killmonger that doesn't even involve pulling in an alternate universe/timeline version of him. :p

Yeah, there's no reason for multiverse when either "Shuri patched you up" or "Black Panther powers can miraculously heal you" are perfectly valid. Not like those both aren't things that already happened in the first movie.

Guys,Micheal B. Jordan is ALREADY signed on for the sequel... he WILL be back. He was stabbed, not blown up. They could have easily patched him up or put him in stasis or shit, he could have been rivived by the infinity stones or by all of the time travel bullshit. Bunch of ways he could come back that don't involve the multiverse. Plus he and Ryan Coogler are best friends. I think he and Shuri are definitely the top candidates to be the T'challa's successors. Kasper Cole is a dark horse, but I feel like they would have to introduce him and set him up for a third movie.

1 hour ago, number305 said:

How about if Tobey Maguire gets sucked into our dimension and stuck here... there is already a spiderman.  He could fill the role as the next Black Panther.

God I hope you are kidding, if not thats the most brain dead fuckling solution for this issue.

3 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

That would be a huge disservice to him, the rest of the cast, and all the black kids that were happy to finally see themselves in a big budget action film but also as the majority of the cast. There's nothing else Marvel has that would feature such a predominantly black cast. Dropping the series would not allow us to see another movie set in Wakanda and it's the most interesting culture Marvel has put to film. It's also the only culture aside from the Asgardians Marvel has really gone into detail about, but that's neither here nor there.

Set Shuri up as the new Black Panther, as she was in the comics, and continue with the story. What would be interesting is if they give her Black Panther powers or if they'll just leave it as no flowers left after Killmonger burned then all.

Wouldn't it be more of a disservice if it absolutely sucks?

Just now, Reputator said:

Wouldn't it be more of a disservice if it absolutely sucks?

I mean, that could have happened with Boseman still around. He's the only one missing here. Everyone else, including the director, is coming back. Just like real life, the world keeps moving, so seeing the kingdom torn apart by the civil war, followed by the snap, followed by End War, followed by the loss of their king can lead to a great story.

7 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I mean, that could have happened with Boseman still around. He's the only one missing here. Everyone else, including the director, is coming back. Just like real life, the world keeps moving, so seeing the kingdom torn apart by the civil war, followed by the snap, followed by End War, followed by the loss of their king can lead to a great story.

That's....a pretty big missing piece. You can't be dismissive of that. How good would Iron Man be without RDJ?

There's a HUGE possibility they fuck this up. This is a tightrope walk. The margin for getting it right is millimeters wide, whereas screwing it all up would be incredibly easy. Explaining in a credible way in the story why T'Challa isn't around anymore, after being set up to be a major player in the MCU previously, is hard to fathom. It would be for any comic book franchise, even without all the social repercussions you spoke of.

51 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

God I hope you are kidding, if not thats the most brain dead fuckling solution for this issue.

Yes... I'm joking.  My honest opinion is that they should leave it alone.  But if they are just doing things for more money than any solution that brings in more dollars is as good as the next. 

30 minutes ago, Reputator said:

That's....a pretty big missing piece. You can't be dismissive of that. How good would Iron Man be without RDJ?

There's a HUGE possibility they fuck this up. This is a tightrope walk. The margin for getting it right is millimeters wide, whereas screwing it all up would be incredibly easy. Explaining in a credible way in the story why T'Challa isn't around anymore, after being set up to be a major player in the MCU previously, is hard to fathom. It would be for any comic book franchise, even without all the social repercussions you spoke of.

Except Iron Man didn't have as many compelling supporting characters around him in his first movie... he definitely didn't have a compelling antagonist. Black Panther had a GREAT ensemble cast... shit we all forgetting about M'baku as well he was ALSO a rival to T'challa and a potential successor (although he comes from a different tribe) So there are now THREE potential succesors to the mantle of the Black Panther that ALL make sense and that would ALL honor his memory. I think this board is the only oplace I;ve seen that thinks the movies should just STOP. No fans of the movie on any of my other social media think so... some were even giving suggestions for other actors who could REPLACE Boseman. Which I think would be a mistake to be honest.

T'challa "dies" in the comics as well and becomes the king of the dead for period of time which is when Shuri became The Panther. I think they are making the right call... now if the movie is good or not is a different story. We got what, four movies with Boseman as the character? Retire the character but not the franchise... reboot in 10 or so years when this phase of the marvel cinematic u is done.

• Thanks 1

Shuri was probably going to become the MCU Black Panther eventually anyhow as long as the actress was still willing to stick around, right? So it sucks we're getting cut short on Boseman's time as Black Panther but it's probably just accelerating things more than dramatically altering them, no?

10 hours ago, Brick said:

Somehow I had missed all this. How very disappointing.

I'm totally down with MBJ taking over the mantle.

44 minutes ago, number305 said:

Yes... I'm joking.  My honest opinion is that they should leave it alone.  But if they are just doing things for more money than any solution that brings in more dollars is as good as the next. 

Sorry man , the post had me WTF.  I completely ate the onion today.

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Ironman was about Tony Stark. Black Panther starred the titular character, but was about Wakanda and Killmonger. That's why both are so memorable. Even with the Thor films, Asgard is mostly set dressing. There was more world building in one Black Panther movie than any other single Marvel movie. Wakanda is the most technologically advanced place on Earth in the MCU. It can't and really shouldn't just be abandoned.

We've got Ryan Coogler, Michael B Jordan, Lupita Nyong'o, and others back. Sure, Boseman was great, but that's a ton of amazing talent still here.

21 minutes ago, Jason said:

Shuri was probably going to become the MCU Black Panther eventually anyhow as long as the actress was still willing to stick around, right? So it sucks we're getting cut short on Boseman's time as Black Panther but it's probably just accelerating things more than dramatically altering them, no?

Pretty much. Marvel send much more conscious of the fact that they should set up future teams and characters and this one seemed like the next step. I expected it to be taken like a decade from now, so 2020 sucks, but it's still where we could wind up.

The only thing I'm wondering is how they handle this. Do they off screen kill the character or do they CG in a fight with the new big bad that kills him in the opener? Both options kind of suck, so I have no idea.

I kinda prefer Shuri as the tech person. I'd prefer Killmonger or even Okoye as the next black panther. Idk what it is but I wasn't that into Shuri in BP1. I mean seriously why cant it be Okoye? Her character is a badass warrior and Danai Gurira is great. 

I'm sure whatever Coogler does will be good though. 

4 minutes ago, johnny said:

I kinda prefer Shuri as the tech person. I'd prefer Killmonger or even Okoye as the next black panther. Idk what it is but I wasn't that into Shuri in BP1. I mean seriously why cant it be Okoye? Her character is a badass warrior and Danai Gurira is great. 

I'm sure whatever Coogler does will be good though. 

Because Okoye isn't part of the monarchy/royal bloodline. T'Challa, Killmonger, and Shuri all are. The bloodline comes from the father's side, so sadly Angela Bassett cannot be Black Panther, because she gets my vote. The suit covers the face, so a stunt woman could do the action parts, but again, she doesn't have the blood. To be fair, with all the flowers destroyed the suit could just become a tech thing with no spirituality associated with the strength of the Black Panther, but that'd be lame culturally, so they'll have to come up with something.

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

Because Okoye isn't part of the monarchy/royal bloodline. T'Challa, Killmonger, and Shuri all are. The bloodline comes from the father's side, so sadly Angela Bassett cannot be Black Panther, because she gets my vote. The suit covers the face, so a stunt woman could do the action parts, but again, she doesn't have the blood.

time for a revolution :p

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

And I'm sure there are more heartshaped herbs somewhere... that's not a tough obstacle to overcome either.

Yeah, they'll have to come up with something but it should be easy enough to write around I think. As much as I enjoy The Dark Knight Rises, it pales in comparison to The Dark Knight and that's because Nolan's original plan for TDKR was to use the Joker again in an integral role with Heath Ledger. His death seismically affected Nolan's plans, which is why TDKR ties so much more back to Batman Begins and he leaves TDK mostly alone out of respect for Ledger, focusing on the Harvey Dent stuff from that film instead.

As a result, they did what they could. Hopefully Black Panther 2 is able to recover better than TDKR did compared to TDK.

35 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Pretty much. Marvel send much more conscious of the fact that they should set up future teams and characters and this one seemed like the next step. I expected it to be taken like a decade from now, so 2020 sucks, but it's still where we could wind up.

The only thing I'm wondering is how they handle this. Do they off screen kill the character or do they CG in a fight with the new big bad that kills him in the opener? Both options kind of suck, so I have no idea.

I think handling off screen might be the most tasteful... like the movie opens with his funeral already. That may be the best way to deal with it.

24 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think handling off screen might be the most tasteful... like the movie opens with his funeral already. That may be the best way to deal with it.

It would be the most tasteful, for sure, but not really the best thematically. Imagine you have no idea Boseman died because you've been living under a rock. His death would be very confusing for anyone coming in.

It's always unfortunate when characters are killed off screen. You always have to come up with some sort of in-universe explanation. This one is just going to be tricky to navigate. I mean, could still be the big bad, just not actually animated/filmed. I guess we'll see.

Either way, I completely trust Coogler here. He hasn't given us a reason not to.

6 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

It would be the most tasteful, for sure, but not really the best thematically. Imagine you have no idea Boseman died because you've been living under a rock. His death would be very confusing for anyone coming in.

It's always unfortunate when characters are killed off screen. You always have to come up with some sort of in-universe explanation. This one is just going to be tricky to navigate. I mean, could still be the big bad, just not actually animated/filmed. I guess we'll see.

Either way, I completely trust Coogler here. He hasn't given us a reason not to.

I'm sure they'll acknowledge his death in real life in the film. If somehow a person didn't know he died. The filmmakers will make sure the audience knows. The same way the Fast and Furious franchise acknowledged Paul Walker's death.