Article: "He's Radioactive": Inside Johnny Depp's Self-Made Implosion

Joe

In another text to actor Paul Bettany, Depp writes, "Let's burn Amber!!!" To which Bettany, apparently taking it as a joke, responds, "Having thought it through I don't think we should burn Amber — she's delightful company and easy on the eye, plus I'm not sure she's a witch. We could of course try the English course of action in these predicaments ­— we do a drowning test. Thoughts?" Depp adds, "Let's drown her before we burn her!!! I will fuck her burnt corpse afterwards to make sure she's dead."

You know I've heard the accusations that Amber Heard is horrible and abusive (at first I was skeptical because when you're as big and powerful of a celebrity as Johnny Depp you can pay for a lot of negative publicity against the other person), and hearing some of the things she's accused of doing she very well might be, but you know maybe it's possible that they're both huge pieces of shit, and terrible people. 

7 minutes ago, Brick said:

You know I've heard the accusations that Amber Heard is horrible and abusive (at first I was skeptical because when you're as big and powerful of a celebrity as Johnny Depp you can pay for a lot of negative publicity against the other person), and hearing some of the things she's accused of doing she very well might be, but you know maybe it's possible that they're both huge pieces of shit, and terrible people. 

Yep!

34 minutes ago, Brick said:

Or maybe the abuse fucked him up.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Joe said:

I get that you’re an MRA

wat

1 minute ago, Joe said:

but Depp is a monster who tried to play himself as the victim.

Because people have never become monsters because they themselves got fucked up by other monsters? 

14 hours ago, Brick said:

She's probably an awful person in the sense that very few successful actors are very normal human beings. That said, a lot of the accusations being lobbed her way were being perpetuated by Depp fangirls and the same Gamergate-type dudebros. No court has sided with Depp here, so I'm inclined to believe this is all just Depp trying to ruin her. It doesn't help his cause that there's plenty of evidence of him literally saying he wants to ruin her.

19 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

She's probably an awful person in the sense that very few successful actors are very normal human beings. That says, a lot of the accusations being lobbied her way were being perpetuated by Depp fangirls and the same Gamergate-type dudebros. No court has sided with Depp here, so I'm inclined to believe this is all just Depp trying to ruin her. It doesn't help his cause that there's plenty of evidence of him literally saying he wants to ruin her.

This is the thing.

Long but worth reading guys: Johnny Depp, 49 at the time, began dating Amber Heard, 26 at the time, in 2012. They married 3 years later, in 2015, and divorced 2 years after that, in 2017; Heard was 31 and Depp was 54 by then.

Depp is, by no small measure (23 year age gap!!) the adult in the room, and he's the one behaving like a child and has lost every legal case regarding this. To even think Heard has much culpability given they first met on the set of The Rum Diary in 2009, when she was 23 years old, is kind of hilarious to me. She was a new actress, he was fucking Johnny Depp in 2009 post-Pirates trilogy. He's 23 years older than she is, and we all know that age gap when she's only 23 years old is huge and impactful. This guy is 57 fucking years old currently, I mean, Jesus, this behavior is sad, regardless of his lifelong alcohol and drug addictions. Explanation is not justification, etc.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna blame the powerful, famous, rich adult, not the 20-something girl entering into the industry with little power and no money (back when this started in 2009). Context is everything. As others have said, all the bad press regarding Amber Heard's end of things over the years has been from Depp, Depp fangirls, or Gamergate/MAGA chud dudebros. It's all hearsay. The legal cases? Much more reliable. The context of the facts as I have given them? Much more reliable.

Lest we forget, it was Amber Heard who initially filed for divorce in 2016, not Depp. Depp responded by alleging that Heard was only filing for divorce for a "premature financial gain" (only married him for his money only to then divorce him quickly) but once Heard testified under oath in court about the abuse, a divorce settlement was reached and the divorce finalized in 2017 (meaning whatever evidence of abuse she presented in court was enough for Depp's lawyers to seek a settlement), where he announced that Heard made no false statements for financial gain (meaning, Depp was wrong). 

The cherry on top? Depp paid $7 million to Heard in the settlement, and to just further prove to Depp how wrong he was, she donated all $7 million to charity, further proving she wasn't filing divorce for money but due to his abuse of her (what a clapback). There have been two major other lawsuits since then, one where Depp claims Heard wrote an op-ed in a magazine (she did) about her being an abuse victim "without evidence" (settlements aren't proof of guilt or wrongdoing). He lost that suit because it was an op-ed and Heard countersued, alleging that it was Depp who was hurting her by coordinating an online campaign to get her fired from Aquaman (much more believable to me). Depp lost his lawsuit, she won hers, I believe.

Depp's second lawsuit since the divorce (the one that's making him lose all his jobs now) is of his own hilarious doing. He brought a libel suit in England against The Sun newspaper for calling him a "wife beater" in an article they published in 2018. In August 2020, an English court determined at least 12 of the 14 alleged assaults (backed by evidence) done to Heard by Depp were found to "meet the legal standard", meaning, Depp IS a wifebeater, so he lost and now is losing his job. If he hadn't filed the libel suit in the first place, if he hadn't been so butthurt since 2017, and just let things go when they got divorced, this never would have come up again and just "quietly gone away" for someone like him. But, well, here we are.

Honestly, the most disturbing part of the news is Paul Bettany's (as I am a fan of his, and was of Depp to be honest) weird ass text response to Depp. Even if you think he's joking and you're a friend wanting to let him vent, the way he kids back is . . . weird? Maybe it's Brit humor, I suppose.

TL;DR: Amber Heard is a much younger woman from a new generation (ours) that Depp isn't as familiar with being with or dating, so she's fighting back and winning, probably unlike the women who should have but didn't from Depp's own generation. And Depp brought this recent attention, hilariously, to himself.

• Thanks 4

On 12/10/2020 at 8:10 AM, TheLeon said:

You know things are bad when you get kicked out of the damn Fantastic Beasts franchise. 

I let out an audible sound of disgust in the theater when they replaced Colin Farrell with Depp. Farrell is actually a good actor, Depp is a collection of schtick and tics held together by bad hats and ugly facial hair. 

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Long but worth reading guys: Johnny Depp, 49 at the time, began dating Amber Heard, 26 at the time, in 2012. They married 3 years later, in 2015, and divorced 2 years after that, in 2017; Heard was 31 and Depp was 54 by then.

Depp is, by no small measure (23 year age gap!!) the adult in the room, and he's the one behaving like a child and has lost every legal case regarding this. To even think Heard has much culpability given they first met on the set of The Rum Diary in 2009, when she was 23 years old, is kind of hilarious to me. She was a new actress, he was fucking Johnny Depp in 2009 post-Pirates trilogy. He's 23 years older than she is, and we all know that age gap when she's only 23 years old is huge and impactful. This guy is 57 fucking years old currently, I mean, Jesus, this behavior is sad, regardless of his lifelong alcohol and drug addictions. Explanation is not justification, etc.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna blame the powerful, famous, rich adult, not the 20-something girl entering into the industry with little power and no money (back when this started in 2009). Context is everything. As others have said, all the bad press regarding Amber Heard's end of things over the years has been from Depp, Depp fangirls, or Gamergate/MAGA chud dudebros. It's all hearsay. The legal cases? Much more reliable. The context of the facts as I have given them? Much more reliable.

Lest we forget, it was Amber Heard who initially filed for divorce in 2016, not Depp. Depp responded by alleging that Heard was only filing for divorce for a "premature financial gain" (only married him for his money only to then divorce him quickly) but once Heard testified under oath in court about the abuse, a divorce settlement was reached and the divorce finalized in 2017 (meaning whatever evidence of abuse she presented in court was enough for Depp's lawyers to seek a settlement), where he announced that Heard made no false statements for financial gain (meaning, Depp was wrong). 

The cherry on top? Depp paid $7 million to Heard in the settlement, and to just further prove to Depp how wrong he was, she donated all $7 million to charity, further proving she wasn't filing divorce for money but due to his abuse of her (what a clapback). There have been two major other lawsuits since then, one where Depp claims Heard wrote an op-ed in a magazine (she did) about her being an abuse victim "without evidence" (settlements aren't proof of guilt or wrongdoing). He lost that suit because it was an op-ed and Heard countersued, alleging that it was Depp who was hurting her by coordinating an online campaign to get her fired from Aquaman (much more believable to me). Depp lost his lawsuit, she won hers, I believe.

Depp's second lawsuit since the divorce (the one that's making him lose all his jobs now) is of his own hilarious doing. He brought a libel suit in England against The Sun newspaper for calling him a "wife beater" in an article they published in 2018. In August 2020, an English court determined at least 12 of the 14 alleged assaults (backed by evidence) done to Heard by Depp were found to "meet the legal standard", meaning, Depp IS a wifebeater, so he lost and now is losing his job. If he hadn't filed the libel suit in the first place, if he hadn't been so butthurt since 2017, and just let things go when they got divorced, this never would have come up again and just "quietly gone away" for someone like him. But, well, here we are.

Honestly, the most disturbing part of the news is Paul Bettany's (as I am a fan of his, and was of Depp to be honest) weird ass text response to Depp. Even if you think he's joking and you're a friend wanting to let him vent, the way he kids back is . . . weird? Maybe it's Brit humor, I suppose.

TL;DR: Amber Heard is a much younger woman from a new generation (ours) that Depp isn't as familiar with being with or dating, so she's fighting back and winning, probably unlike the women who should have but didn't from Depp's own generation. And Depp brought this recent attention, hilariously, to himself.

What a comeback! Thanks for that.

@sblfilms What’s your take on this?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

I let out an audible sound of disgust in the theater when they replaced Colin Farrell with Depp. Farrell is actually a good actor, Depp is a collection of schtick and tics held together by bad hats and ugly facial hair. 

Same. And it’s a shame because Depp was a real actor there for a while, but he’s been on auto-pilot for like 2 decades at this point. 

Well, Mads Mikkelsen is taking over if the third movie ever gets made, which will fix about 5% of the problems with that franchise. 

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

Same. And it’s a shame because Depp was a real actor there for a while, but he’s been on auto-pilot for like 2 decades at this point. 

Well, Mads Mikkelsen is taking over if the third movie ever gets made, which will fix about 5% of the problems with that franchise. 

It's gonna be Mads Mikkelsen??? I had no interest in seeing the second one but I would check out the third just to see Mads.

Mads Mikkelsen should be in every movie.

1 hour ago, thewhyteboar said:

It's gonna be Mads Mikkelsen??? I had no interest in seeing the second one but I would check out the third just to see Mads.

Mads Mikkelsen should be in every movie.

Yeah, that was announced a couple weeks ago. I was kinda disappointed, because I love Mads and he deserves better. I know it’s getting way off topic for this thread , but I really want to see  this new movie where he’s just constantly drunk.

• 5 months later...

If anyone wanted to know how off the deep end Depp has gone, he's now suing the ACLU to try to prove that Heard isn't as charitably as she claims to be.

image?q=85&c=sc&poi=face&w=1200&h=600&ur
PEOPLE.COM

Johnny Depp continues to claim that Amber Heard hasn't donated the $7 million divorce settlement, which her lawyers say she pledged over 10 years

• Guillotine 1

8 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I see Depp hasn't learned anything. He gets the guillotine.

He has some very expensive lawyers that are more than happy to bleed him dry with every pointless lawsuit they're willing to come up with. The US really should have stronger protections for defendants in cases like these. Depp really should be responsible for all of the ACLU's expenses related to defending themselves from stupid shit like this.