Best music of the previous gen

crispy4000

A few notables I thought of.  Feel free to add your own, I'm curious what I might have missed.

Hollow Knight's soundtrack is basically perfect. It's hard to imagine the game without it.  It paints the atmosphere of each biome as much as the visuals do.

I almost hesitate to throw a chiptune in here when I'm not the biggest fan.  But Undertale knows that it can dress it up when needed, and as a result, sounds better than the retro you're imagining when you're hearing it.  Even its off-kilter tracks one-up their main inspiration. (Earthbound)

Odyssey's soundtrack is also pretty great.  Tons of variety to match the world trotting theme, yet it all comes across as Mario in its own right.  Surprise Sonic butt-rock at the end was hilarious too.

Haven't even played Cuphead yet, but I can't imagine this game getting left out.

Xenoblade 2 is the game I'll remember the music from most, especially the choral tracks being used in nontraditional places.  Maybe the first game has more iconic music in some places, but X2's is definitely more underappreciated with fewer people seeing it through.  It's just as good on the whole.

Plus the up tempo stuff is basically modern day Guile's theme.

Not that this is a theme or song per say but I sometimes just sat down and listened to this for ten minutes at a time or so in Death Stranding. The Ambient music and sound design in that game is really evocative and good in general. People started making these types of videos:

I actually find myself putting these on in the background while working. And also while I'm not a fan of bands like Low Roar, in the context of DS, it worked so well. 

The Stellaris soundtrack is practically transcendental:

The Polybius soundtrack is what I love and expect from Llamasoft:

Also while not in the game I never expected this in my life:

https://youtu.be/gDV-dOvqKzQ

My favorite band crossing over with one of my favorite developers <3

Also iconic and worth noting:

https://youtu.be/yGWIjV7BNEw

Oh this is a good idea for a thread! 

I have loved the music from the Destiny franchise, with Regicide from The Taken King being my favourite track. It's just so epic! 

Journey from 2 is also beautifully emotional, especially within the context of the missions it's played. 

And how can we make a music thread and not talk about the metal masterpiece that is the Doom soundtrack?! 

I haven't even played Bloodborne yet, but I know the soundtrack is good!