What Are You Reading or Listening To?

Some more on The Accommodation 

Schutze contends that until 1990, when 14-1 permitted the city’s separate neighborhoods to elect their own council members — including Black and Latino candidates — Dallas never really functioned as a democracy. It operated more like a 15th-century Italian city-state run by a handful of wealthy families, with real power shared and traded amongst family members.

state-fair-picketing-gallery-1-3.jpg
ARTANDSEEK.ORG

Watch the conversation between John Wiley Price and Jim Schutze Tuesday, Sept. 14 at 7 p.m. Jim Schutze's The Accommodation has been called "the most dangerous book in Dallas" by D Magazine. That's because, written in 1986, it viewed the city entirely through the history of race -- from slavery to the "accommodation" of the title. That's Schutze's term for the under-the-table relationship that started in the '50s between the city's white business...

Here's an old ass article from the NYTimes about how Dallas was run 

defaultPromoCrop.png?year=1964
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

article on how group of businessmen, Dallas Citizens Council, rules city though unelected; council history

On 3/14/2023 at 9:40 PM, gamer.tv said:

Human Traces - Sebastian Faulks.

I’ve somehow acquired 4 books by Faulks and read one of them. So far, it’s been great, just teeny weeny writing so reading 80 pages feels more like 150.

I’ve been working my way through this and now have about 140 pages to go. It’s been pretty engaging with the usual (I say this after only reading Birdsong) weird, overly sexualised stuff that appears in Faulks’ work.

I think I’ll buy something a bit lighter after this as I was going to read Wuthering Heights, but I think I’d rather have a ‘rest’ book.

I’m listening to the Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. Jemison. I had read the books 4-5 years ago (whenever the third one was coming out), but I had some Audible credits building up and thought these would be worth the revisit. It’s shocking just how poorly I retain anything I read, apparently. I’m a few chapters into the second book, and already there’s been major characters/plot lines I had completely forgotten. 

On 3/9/2023 at 9:40 AM, thewhyteboar said:

I just finished Warlock, by Oakley Hall. This is truly a masterpiece of American literature. It's a fictionalized, quasi retelling of the Gunfight at the the OK Corral. But really, it's about the poisonous fallout of violence, and how using violence to achieve safety and justice will result in neither. Now I gotta track down the movie with Henry Fonda. 

Haven't updated in awhile. I read 100 Years of Solitude, now I'm reading Lonesome Dove.

5 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I also decided to start reading Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut. Wasn’t in my radar, but I was looking at my TBR shelf this morning and this one seemed to be calling to me. I am entertained thus far. I read Slaughterhouse Five some years back and always meant to read more of his works. 

I love Vonnegut, or at least I did the last time I read him (5+ years ago). Did you ever read Sirens of Titan? I remember that being one of my favorites of his, too. 

9 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Phew, Sign Here was pretty awful. 

Time for a palate cleanser. Starting The Moon is Down by John Steinbeck. 

I think my new nonfiction will be Black Snow: Curtis Lemay, the Firebombing of Tokyo and the Road to the Atomic Bomb by James M Scott. 

I've only read Grapes of Wrath, East of Eden, and Of Mice and Men, but absolutely loved all of them. Will be really curious to know what you think of The Moon Is Down. :)

5 hours ago, Nokra said:

I've only read Grapes of Wrath, East of Eden, and Of Mice and Men, but absolutely loved all of them. Will be really curious to know what you think of The Moon Is Down. :)

I’ll post my thoughts. I read 20 pages last night and it’s only 112 pages. 

I love Steinbeck. I’ve read the three you mentioned, and they were excellent. EoE is one of my all time favorite books. Only other one I’ve read so far is The Pearl. It was a short read, but I don’t recall it doing much for me. 

• Thanks 1

So I just literally blew through Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden here at work tonight. I’d never heard of this book before and god, I wish I’d known about it as a teenager. It gave me all the feels. 

Now to go down the rabbit hole of sapphic romance. And I’ve never been a romance reader. Fuck it. 

On 4/17/2023 at 10:09 AM, thewhyteboar said:

Haven't updated in awhile. I read 100 Years of Solitude, now I'm reading Lonesome Dove.

Finished that, I had planned on reading something else but Lonesome Dove was so good that I immediately started the sequel, Streets of Laredo.