What Are You Reading or Listening To?

I've been reading through some of the books in the Expanse series, while also re-watching some of the show. I very much enjoyed the show, but I'm finding some of the changes to be questionable. Enjoyed the first few books quite a lot. Book four is fine, but I'm not enjoying it quite as much.

Finished The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin. Amazing book, I can see why many call it the best fantasy of the past decade. Its use of second person POV for some of the chapters was jarring, at first, but I quickly adapted and loved it. I highly recommend it, it creates a really strange and fascinating world.

59 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Finished The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin. Amazing book, I can see why many call it the best fantasy of the past decade. Its use of second person POV for some of the chapters was jarring, at first, but I quickly adapted and loved it. I highly recommend it, it creates a really strange and fascinating world.

It's an incredible series. 

Reading has been slow by my standards, but I did finished Four Past Midnight last night. Great novella collection. I think my favorite was Secret Window Secret Garden, but they were are really good.

Also been reading and finished up Dust Off the Bones by Paul Howarth. Historical fiction, but I've never really read up much on Australian history and this seems to have sparked an interest.

Think my next fiction is gonna be The Hacienda by Isabel Canas. I'm way behind on my BOTM pile.

Finally got around to just now finishing up the "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood ..." novella which was a hell of a fun read (more so if you're a big fan of the film!)

Next up is to finish Tom Segura's "I Like to Play Alone Please" & then crack open Danny Trejo's autobiography that recently released.

Finding it hard to settle on a book. My father in law has let me borrow a book called Ancestors which is great - but I can’t seem to get into it properly. I have an autobiography as well, but despite it being about a person I’m very interested in, it’s classic ghost writing (dry, occasionally dull). So, I grabbed a cool book on the History of Hobbits which is interesting.

Have to say Patterson';s Doc Savage book is damn good for what it is, a crazy men's adventure. Even though Savage is the title character, the female lead seems like the true main character and she is a female assassin that underwent training that makes the Black Widow's looks like a day in the park. I know Patterson only writes the outline for his collaborations these days but I never expected something so brutal. 

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

It’s never great to start a book during the middle of a work week. 

I’ve started both The Children on the Hill by Jennifer McMahon and Bag of Bones by Stephen King. I think I’m going to enjoy them when I actually have time to relax and get absorbed. 

I'm not sure why but I had so much trouble getting into Bag of Bones, was either the 3rd or 4th time I started it when I must have finally been in the right mindset and totally got lost in it and it's become one of my favorites and I have read it at least four or five times since. 

6 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

Oh I read a series by him! Riyria Revelations. I don't remember any details, but I remember enjoying it! 

Yeah there is Ryiria Chronicles and Ryiria Revelations series. I believe he is starting a third series based in her same universe but at a different  time period as well. 

On 8/20/2022 at 9:31 PM, gamer.tv said:

Finding it hard to settle on a book. My father in law has let me borrow a book called Ancestors which is great - but I can’t seem to get into it properly. I have an autobiography as well, but despite it being about a person I’m very interested in, it’s classic ghost writing (dry, occasionally dull). So, I grabbed a cool book on the History of Hobbits which is interesting.

With all that, also doing something I never do, I’ve wound up with 3 books on the go (not even the ones listed). An autobiography on the rugby coach Eddie Jones, another autobiography about Billy Connelly, and then a book called Sweet Sorrow - which I’ve only read a few chapters of. 

6cd62948-ba42-4a61-b044-86ffd85a021c.jpe
SLATE.COM

Fairy Tale is the best kind of page-turner.

I hear more and more people lately complaining of reading slumps, an inability to concentrate and really sink into a book caused by—who knows? The lingering pandemic? TikTok? Climate dread? “I will read,” thinks the title character in Elizabeth Strout’s new novel, Lucy by the Sea, as she comes in from a walk. “But there was nothing I wanted to read. I could not read.”

I can recommend a cure for that, though it might be a bit strong for Lucy’s taste: A good old-fashioned Stephen King fantasy-horror epic. Happily, there’s a new specimen: Fairy Tale. Like its predecessors in the King canon—especially The Eyes of the Dragon, the Dark Tower series, and The Talisman (co-written with Peter Straub)—it’s sometimes grisly, sometimes tense, and sometimes a bit goofy. You’ll inhale Fairy Tale in big 100-page swathes without the slightest effort or strain, and you’ll be grateful that there are 600-plus pages of it to remind you several times over how much fun that kind of reading experience is.

• Like 2