What Are You Reading or Listening To?

21 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

That’s why I decided to read it haha. I went on a little southern gothic kick for a bit. 

I finished it this morning before going to sleep. It was pretty good. Ending wrapped up neatly, but sometimes I want a nice ending. Nothing amazing, but a decent read. 

Now onto The Guise of Another by Allen Eskens. It’s the sequel to The Life We Bury. Was kinda eager to connect with some of the characters again. 

I think for my next nonfiction, I’m gonna start Empire of Pain by Patrick Radden Keefe. 

1 minute ago, EternallDarkness said:

tearing through books this year, already finished 16-17 so far this year..and yet my TBR list never seems to get any smaller :lol:

Same. Mine remains around 550. I'm currently at 11 books so far. But I have been gaming a lot more lately.

Started Shuggie Bain on my Kindle this morning. I seem to always need to have something going on Kindle nowadays.

Witchfinders was very interesting- but very dry. I read Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine over a few days and enjoyed it.

I’ve decided to start To Kill a Mockingbird since I haven’t read it since I was 14, doing my GCSEs. Then, I’ll read Heroes by Stephen Fry as I bought it from a charity shop for the princely sum of £2. 

1 hour ago, gamer.tv said:

Witchfinders was very interesting- but very dry. I read Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine over a few days and enjoyed it.

I’ve decided to start To Kill a Mockingbird since I haven’t read it since I was 14, doing my GCSEs. Then, I’ll read Heroes by Stephen Fry as I bought it from a charity shop for the princely sum of £2. 

Those Stephen Fry books are super fun.

10 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

I'll be really curious to hear what you think of To Kill a Mockingbird once you're done. I also reread it a couple years ago for the first time since high school and absolutely loved it. 

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

That's on my shelf, but I haven't read it yet. Did you read Song of Achilles? Great book.

I have, it's good but I still prefer Circe.

22 minutes ago, Nokra said:

I'll be really curious to hear what you think of To Kill a Mockingbird once you're done. I also reread it a couple years ago for the first time since high school and absolutely loved it. 

To Kill a Mockingbird is so good, and absolutely holds up.

I just listened to “Winning Fixes Everything” by Evan Drellich, the reporter who initially broke the Astros sign stealing story in 2019.

The book is less about the sign stealing stuff and more about how Jim Crane (the Astros owner) went about building his organization after acquiring the team 10 years ago. He hired a guy who wasn’t a lifetime baseball guy, who actually came from the management consulting world before getting into baseball. A lot of what the organization was doing was textbook McKinsey stuff, and it eventually filtered its way into every nook and cranny.

On 2/19/2023 at 3:48 PM, sblfilms said:

I just listened to “Winning Fixes Everything” by Evan Drellich, the reporter who initially broke the Astros sign stealing story in 2019.

The book is less about the sign stealing stuff and more about how Jim Crane (the Astros owner) went about building his organization after acquiring the team 10 years ago. He hired a guy who wasn’t a lifetime baseball guy, who actually came from the management consulting world before getting into baseball. A lot of what the organization was doing was textbook McKinsey stuff, and it eventually filtered its way into every nook and cranny.

Just bought this, thanks. I love a good sports nonfiction and I wasn't aware of this one.

On 2/14/2023 at 6:58 AM, Nokra said:

I really enjoyed it as well. I still find it hard to read overtly racist language in a novel, even when it’s being referential- but I suppose my feelings (now) on that are part of the message of the book. I may do a little bit of essay reading to read some literature insights - namely the whole Atticus isn’t a good person/Scouts reverential attitude is based on rose coloured glasses etc

The Passage was enjoyable. Little overlong, though. Still, I'm looking forward to the rest of the trilogy. Switching gears to something short and fast Axes for Valhalla by Peter Gibbons. The third book in the Viking Blood and Blade Saga.

Still reading Shuggie Bain on Kindle. It's a slow one.

Starting Winning Fixes Everything by Evan Drellich for my nonfiction.

I just finished Warlock, by Oakley Hall. This is truly a masterpiece of American literature. It's a fictionalized, quasi retelling of the Gunfight at the the OK Corral. But really, it's about the poisonous fallout of violence, and how using violence to achieve safety and justice will result in neither. Now I gotta track down the movie with Henry Fonda. 

Phew, finally finished Shuggie Bain. I’m glad I powered through it, because it was a worthwhile story in the end. Just so damn bleak. 
 I’ve started The Bronze Drum by Phong Nguyen, but I’m kinda bored by it. 
brought The War King by Peter Gibbons to work tonight. I could use a good Viking novel as a palate cleanser. 

Finished Bronze Drum. It was okay. Also read Hard Cash Valley by Brian Panowich on my Kindle and that was good. 

Now I’m starting Essex Dogs by Dan Jones. He’s one of my favorite historians and I love his nonfiction, but this is his first novel. I’m excited. 

Also started reading Black Mouth by Ronald Malfi on my Kindle. 

5 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Next up is Desperation by Stephen King. Haven't ready my favorite author in a couple months.

Desperation is an odd one in that King released two book at the same time. Desperation and The Regulators. Desperation he published under his own name and The Regulators was published under his Bachman pen name. It's been quite a while since I read them but if I recall they are semi sorta the same story. Or rather they have many of the same characters just in different situations. 

As for what I've been reading, recently finished a bunch of books that either just came out or that'll be coming out in the next month or so including: The Lake House, The Rescue, STFU, A House with Good Bones, and What Have We Done. And I should finish up Into the Dark Dimension tonight or tomorrow. 

Stupid me, I've started a fourth book. The Once and Future Sex: Going Medieval on Women's Roles in Society by Dr Eleanor Janega. I recently discovered the delights of Dr Janega on Youtube, watching these history videos. She's very down the earth and I love her commentary. So when I found out she just released this book, I ordered it immediately. So far, it's very good. I feel like I'm reading it in her voice.

On 3/27/2023 at 10:14 PM, EternallDarkness said:

Desperation is an odd one in that King released two book at the same time. Desperation and The Regulators. Desperation he published under his own name and The Regulators was published under his Bachman pen name. It's been quite a while since I read them but if I recall they are semi sorta the same story. Or rather they have many of the same characters just in different situations.

Yep, I know. I have the other sitting on my shelf. I doubt I read them back to back, but I do look forward to reading the mirror of Desperation at some point.

• 2 weeks later...