What Are You Reading or Listening To?

I have a big stack of stuff to read while I recover from surgery:

Money: The True Story of a Made-Up Thing by Jacob Goldstein

Supermarket by Bobby Hall

The Municipalists by Seth Fried

Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon (re-read; I recently re-read The Crying of Lot 49 and was stunned by how much more I got out of it, so I want to re-read GR to see if the same pattern holds)

On 7/4/2023 at 1:08 PM, thewhyteboar said:

I just finished it. Really good. I don’t think it’s my favorite of his but I liked it a lot. 

I started The Bad Lands, another Western by Oakley Hall, who wrote the incredible Warlock. 

I forgot to update but I finished The Bad Lands a few days ago. Unforgettable characters and another story of how poisonous vigilante justice can be. I’d love to read more by the author, but I think only the two are available on Kindle. 

I started The Conformist, by Alberto Moravia. 

Woo, finished home Front last night, completing my goal of 80 books for the year. Didn't expect to read this much, especially gaming a lot of more than the last couple years. But my new job allows for a fair bit of reading time, so that probably accounts for it.

Started Black River by Matthew Spencer on my Kindle.

• Shocked 1

18 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Woo, finished home Front last night, completing my goal of 80 books for the year. Didn't expect to read this much, especially gaming a lot of more than the last couple years. But my new job allows for a fair bit of reading time, so that probably accounts for it.

Started Black River by Matthew Spencer on my Kindle.

That's impressive, nice work. At my peak I think I was only reading maybe 30 books per year. I've always wondered: are you able to read so much at work because you're working the night shift mostly and the patients are generally sleeping? 

10 minutes ago, Nokra said:

That's impressive, nice work. At my peak I think I was only reading maybe 30 books per year. I've always wondered: are you able to read so much at work because you're working the night shift mostly and the patients are generally sleeping? 

Yeah. Now that I work psych, I have more free time. Patients are in bed by 10, usually earlier. I give them meds between 8-9 and there’s nothing til we get them up between 530-6. So really all I have to do during those middle hours is round hourly. Unless we’re getting hit with admits, it isn’t very busy. Most people just do stuff on their phones, I read. And staffing is way better. We always have patient care techs and they’re really good. So I’m not running my ass off all night like I was before. 

Day shift psych is busier with discharges and group therapy and meals and all that. But I hear it’s still not that bad for the most part. 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2023 at 10:33 AM, Chris- said:

I have a big stack of stuff to read while I recover from surgery:

Money: The True Story of a Made-Up Thing by Jacob Goldstein

Supermarket by Bobby Hall

The Municipalists by Seth Fried

Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon (re-read; I recently re-read The Crying of Lot 49 and was stunned by how much more I got out of it, so I want to re-read GR to see if the same pattern holds)

I’ve finished Supermarket (super meh) and Money (obscenely, stupidly good). Now on to The Municipalists.

Just now, EternallDarkness said:

yeah I haven't kept up on his work in quite some time 

I read everything he released. I’m pretty excited for this one, but it releases while we’re in Japan, so I’ll have to wait a couple weeks. I’ve read The Firm probably 10 times in my life, but it’s been a while. I’ll likely do a reread soon to freshen my memory. 

7 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I read everything he released. I’m pretty excited for this one, but it releases while we’re in Japan, so I’ll have to wait a couple weeks. I’ve read The Firm probably 10 times in my life, but it’s been a while. I’ll likely do a reread soon to freshen my memory. 

yeah it's one of my favorites 

• Like 1

I was reading To Hell and Back at work last night and I just had to put it down after a while. Graphic descriptions don't usually get to me, but reading so much suffering of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki victims was just too much. I'll definitely finish it and it's well written, but sometimes you can only take so much at once.

On 7/27/2023 at 9:08 PM, thewhyteboar said:

I forgot to update but I finished The Bad Lands a few days ago. Unforgettable characters and another story of how poisonous vigilante justice can be. I’d love to read more by the author, but I think only the two are available on Kindle. 

I started The Conformist, by Alberto Moravia. 

That was good. Really shows how empty and broken the followers of fascism are. I watched the movie too. 
Now The Blessing Way, by Tony Hillerman. I guess there’s a tv series now based on this series, is what my dad said.