What Are You Reading or Listening To?

On 8/8/2023 at 7:02 PM, thewhyteboar said:

That was good. Really shows how empty and broken the followers of fascism are. I watched the movie too. 
Now The Blessing Way, by Tony Hillerman. I guess there’s a tv series now based on this series, is what my dad said. 

That was fun. I think I’ll delve further into the series at some point. 
Now a collection of short stories by Flannery O’Conner. 

On 8/12/2023 at 10:35 PM, thewhyteboar said:

That was fun. I think I’ll delve further into the series at some point. 
Now a collection of short stories by Flannery O’Conner. 

These were very good, I read 5 or 6 or so. I’m not someone who can just mainline short stories though. I’ll come back to it. 

The Killing Hills, Chris Offutt

I had a mixture of algorithms and date hit me today. My YouTube has started to become populated with videos of Todd MacFarlane showing how to draw (and in general a lot of how to videos), cue to today, I took my daughter to the charity shop to buy a new toy and low and behold, tucked way in the kids book section was How to Draw Superheroes the Marvel Way. I bought it and it looks brilliant. 

On 8/18/2023 at 4:43 PM, thewhyteboar said:

These were very good, I read 5 or 6 or so. I’m not someone who can just mainline short stories though. I’ll come back to it. 

The Killing Hills, Chris Offutt

Forgot to update. This was the first in a series, pretty good mystery. I got the second one but instead I decided to read a Western, The Shopkeeper by James D. Best. That was also the first in a series, but it was nothing special so I doubt I’ll track them down. The main character was too much like a superhero—rich, clever, and an amazing shot? Lame. 

Started The Diary of a Country Priest, by Georges Bernanos. 

6 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Wahoo, Kroger has Stephen King’s newest early, so I’ll be starting that this weekend. Ready to see what Holly Gibney is up to. 

The crazy thing is I have no idea what the book is going to be about. I haven't even bothered to read the blurb I just know more Gibney is likely to be a good thing. Hearing you say some stores already have it almost temps to run out this weekend and look but since I still have 10 more books to read before they release this month :lol: I'll just wait and pick it up when it officially releases next week and then somehow work it into my reading schedule. 

16 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

The crazy thing is I have no idea what the book is going to be about. I haven't even bothered to read the blurb I just know more Gibney is likely to be a good thing. Hearing you say some stores already have it almost temps to run out this weekend and look but since I still have 10 more books to read before they release this month :lol: I'll just wait and pick it up when it officially releases next week and then somehow work it into my reading schedule. 

Early on, looks more like a detective novel with a really sick murderous pair of villains. And Covid plays a part. 

I think I’m gonna like it. But I’ve also always enjoyed Holly Gibney. 

5 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I read Stillhouse Lake by Rachel Caine over the weekend. Pretty good thriller and it's part of a series, so I bought the next 2 on Kindle for like $3 each. I love cheap Kindle books that are actually fun.

those tend to go on sale fairly often because they were published by Thomas & Mercer which is one of Amazon's imprints (as is 47 North) if you see either of those listed as a publisher you can pretty much count on them going on sale dirt cheap several times a year...and usually they have really cheap add-on audio via whispersync usually as low as only 1.99 for the add on audio. 

Over the years I've picked up most of the books in that series and still haven't gotten around to reading past the first. I enjoyed it I just got sidetracked with so many other things. I don't know if you'll see the latest one in the series go on sale though as I don't think it was published by Thomas & Mercer. I also don't know how much Caine actually had to do with that one since Caine passed away back in 2020. 

If you're interested in thrillers you can pick up cheap T.R. Ragan is another author T&M publish and her stuff routinely goes on sale as well and most of the stuff I've read by her has been quite good. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EternallDarkness said:

Got a copy of King's new one Holly but not sure when I'll actually get to start it, in the middle of quite a few others that I need to finish up first  

I kinda wonder if you'll like it because of the politics and covid. It's probably the most heavy-handed one on politics I've read from him, except maybe Elevation. The covid stuff makes sense at least, because of how Holly is as a person. We know she'd be neurotic about it.

I still love Holly Gibney and they villains were great.

19 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I kinda wonder if you'll like it because of the politics and covid. It's probably the most heavy-handed one on politics I've read from him, except maybe Elevation. The covid stuff makes sense at least, because of how Holly is as a person. We know she'd be neurotic about it.

I still love Holly Gibney and they villains were great.

so I've heard. I've been well aware of Stephen's politics for ages now. And for the most part he's always bee decent about reigning them in to a degree, but lately he become more or more vocal. Trump absolutely broke the man. There are times his tweets have become nothing short of rants. I honestly hate to see it, not because the man isn't entitled to his opinion, but it's just horrible to seem him haunted for lack of a better word. At his age he shouldn't spend so much time focused on negativity and animosity. But that being said, I have no doubt I'll enjoy Holly. She's a fantastic character. I've rarely not enjoyed a King book, the man just knows how to tell a story. Writers having opposing views on any number of subjects never truly bothers me unless it's so heavy handed in delivery that it pulls me out of the story. Chuck Wendig has written some wonderful stuff over the years but at times he goes over the top heavy handed with his views and I hate it because he could still tell a fantastic story, put all this personal views in but just be a bit subtler about it and it would honestly make the stories better. I mean when you don't make your characters a charactecture, make them realistic but then in a subtle way show they are loathsome if that's how you feel.

On a side note I'm a quarter of the way through Chuck's upcoming book Black River Orchard and it's quite good. Yes once again he's been a little heavy handed with his politics, though not horrible. Who knew a story focused on apples could be so engaging. I'm getting an almost Needful Things vibe from it so far.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I did! I gave it 4/5. Good haunted house story, enjoy some humorous quirks, the daughter annoyed me, especially early on. I think that was her debut and I'll read her again if she releases a future novel.

Good to hear. I'll have to keep it on my radar while I try to clear out my backlog. Debating finishing up Eighth Continent tonight or starting on Holly. 

I’m still reading Wuthering Heights (I won’t lie, it’s not my favourite book ever and general just gives me bad vibes), but I’ve just been to the charity shop and bought:

The world according to Garp

The next Uhtred book I haven’t read

Treasure Island

and I have a Richard Dawkins book as well. So, I’ll have some random stuff to keep me going all for about £3