What Are You Reading or Listening To?

On 8/25/2023 at 9:26 AM, thewhyteboar said:

Forgot to update. This was the first in a series, pretty good mystery. I got the second one but instead I decided to read a Western, The Shopkeeper by James D. Best. That was also the first in a series, but it was nothing special so I doubt I’ll track them down. The main character was too much like a superhero—rich, clever, and an amazing shot? Lame. 

Started The Diary of a Country Priest, by Georges Bernanos. 

I forgot to update (again). I wasn't clicking with that book, so I dropped it and started The Virginian, by Owen Wister.

So, I’ve (finally) finished Wuthering Heights. It’ll go in that list of books where I can’t quite understand why anyone likes any of the characters as my impression of the various Heathcliff’s and Cathy’s was a cycle of

emotional/physical abuse. Maybe that was the point but as a book for leisure, I could do without it.

I’m now reading the Art and Science of Teaching Primary Reading for work and The World According to Garp for pleasure. 

5 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Got my copy of The Armor of Light by Ken Follett today and I started on it at work tonight. Kingsbridge series is probably my favorite of all time and I was really hyped for this. Hoping I can finish it before we fly next Saturday because I really don’t wanna take this data’s book in my carry-on. 

I think I've read two in that series. I enjoyed both of them, just never caught up with the others.

9 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

I think I've read two in that series. I enjoyed both of them, just never caught up with the others.

I love huge, historical epics like this. Follett has plucky heroes you want to root for and the worst villains you love to hate. My favorite so far has been the first, Pillars of the Earth, but I've loved them all and this one is shaping it to be great.

I also discovered an older book called Trinity: A Novel of Ireland by Leon Uris and I look forward to starting it in the near future.

On 9/19/2023 at 11:20 AM, thewhyteboar said:

I forgot to update (again). I wasn't clicking with that book, so I dropped it and started The Virginian, by Owen Wister.

That was rather beautifully written. You can see how many Western tropes originated with this book. 

Now reading If They Move…Kill ‘Em! A biography on Sam Peckinpah. 

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I finished the Follett book in 4 days. Enjoyed it. Probably my least favorite of the series, but it was still quite good, considering how much a love the others. 

Read The Stranger Upstairs by Lisa Matlin in one shift, it was short and quick. Now reading All Hallows by Christopher Golden. Spooky season and all. 

Read The Stranger Upstairs over the summer, definitely wasn't what I expected. I seem to remember liking All Hallows, though I thought it getting released last year in Jan or Feb was so dang odd for a book centered around Halloween :lol:

19 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

Read The Stranger Upstairs over the summer, definitely wasn't what I expected. I seem to remember liking All Hallows, though I thought it getting released last year in Jan or Feb was so dang odd for a book centered around Halloween :lol:

Yeah, that ending was wild. I hated the MC, but it was engaging for a day. 

Had All Hallows for a while, but I’ve been saving it for October. 

On 10/2/2023 at 7:59 PM, thewhyteboar said:

That was rather beautifully written. You can see how many Western tropes originated with this book. 

Now reading If They Move…Kill ‘Em! A biography on Sam Peckinpah. 

Quite enjoyed that bio. It put a lot of things on my watchlist, gotta see if so can find a copy of Noon Wine. I really have no idea how Peckinpah managed to make any movies with how he treated studios and how they treated him (not to mention his own addiction issues). I know The Wild Bunch is his masterpiece, but I still maintain that Pat Garret and Billy the Kid is truly his best. It is a perfect eulogy and coda to the West, not just the West as a time and place, but also an elegy to the genre. 

I started The Collected Works of Billy the Kid, by Michael Ondaatje. 

On 10/12/2023 at 11:29 AM, thewhyteboar said:

Quite enjoyed that bio. It put a lot of things on my watchlist, gotta see if so can find a copy of Noon Wine. I really have no idea how Peckinpah managed to make any movies with how he treated studios and how they treated him (not to mention his own addiction issues). I know The Wild Bunch is his masterpiece, but I still maintain that Pat Garret and Billy the Kid is truly his best. It is a perfect eulogy and coda to the West, not just the West as a time and place, but also an elegy to the genre. 

I started The Collected Works of Billy the Kid, by Michael Ondaatje. 

That is something that’s gonna stay in my guts for awhile. The book is a mix of prose and poetry, telling the story of Billy from his point of view. The violence is deeply visceral—some of the most disturbing passages I’ve ever read—while the moments of calm can be just as neatly serene. I read a Kindle version but I think I’ll need to get a print version someday that I can mark up. 

I started Ride the Pink Horse, by Dorothy B. Hughes. It’s supposed to be a classic crime/noir story. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2023 at 1:58 PM, thewhyteboar said:

That is something that’s gonna stay in my guts for awhile. The book is a mix of prose and poetry, telling the story of Billy from his point of view. The violence is deeply visceral—some of the most disturbing passages I’ve ever read—while the moments of calm can be just as neatly serene. I read a Kindle version but I think I’ll need to get a print version someday that I can mark up. 

I started Ride the Pink Horse, by Dorothy B. Hughes. It’s supposed to be a classic crime/noir story. 

I enjoyed that noir. Had a lively theme of  Catholicism running through, which I always enjoy. I’ll track down something else by the other if I want to go back to the genre. 

Time for another Western, Valdez is Coming, by Elmore Leonard. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2023 at 10:15 PM, thewhyteboar said:

I enjoyed that noir. Had a lively theme of  Catholicism running through, which I always enjoy. I’ll track down something else by the other if I want to go back to the genre. 

Time for another Western, Valdez is Coming, by Elmore Leonard. 

Fantastic Western. I need to see the movie someday. I also read Stoner by John Williams, which definitely lived up to the hype--"The best book you've never read" is the blurb on the cover. I now have read 3 of John Williams' 4 novels. Each of them are wonderful and so different from the other. 

I haven't settle on a new novel yet, but I'm going back and forth between Elmore Leonard short stories, a few chapters of Moby Dick, and a new book on the directing team of Powell and Pressburger.

8 minutes ago, rc0101 said:

Getting hyped for the movie Napoleon in a few weeks and curious what the best reads are on his life?  I’m sure @Commissar SFLUFAN has one or two recommendations? 

This one is widely-regarded as the definitive biography for Napoleon:

WWW.PENGUINRANDOMHOUSE.COM

The definitive biography of the great soldier-statesman by the acclaimed author of Churchill and The Last King of America—winner of the LA Times Book prize, finalist for the Plutarch prize,...

• Thanks 2