What Are You Reading or Listening To?

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

I’ve (sort of) joined a book club, and this was the pick of the month. Well-researched and paints an accurate picture, but hell, that ending really reinforces everything that I thought this novel was slyly critiquing. Also completely unbelievable. Sinks the whole thing. Morbidly curious about the film, in spite of its additional issues.

14 by Peter Clines

My buddy won’t shut the fuck up about this, so I decided to give it a shot. It’s fine. Runs entirely on plot. Characters are pretty thin, and constantly joking or making light of the seriousness of the situation, which I found irritating. The climax has some exciting stuff, but I don’t know if I would have gotten that far if it hadn’t been for a friend.

In the midst of:

Bleeding Edge by Thomas Pynchon - Loving it. I reckon I'll always keep a Pynchon in the rotation because the mix of the absurd with the inspired is always refreshing.

Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead by Olga Tokarczuk - Another book club read. Way better. Unforgiving terrain with a main character who’s got a big heart and a slipping psyche. Top-notch prose. Excited to read more of her.

Birds of America by Lorrie Moore - One of my plane books. Halfway through. Really delightful. Giving me a new appreciation for short stories. She drops some of these narratives off hard and I love it.

Carpenter’s Gothic by William Gaddis - Another plane book. I think I’m a fourth of the way through. Thought I’d start with his shortest (I think?) but fuck, he’s a tough one. Hard to parse with the walls of dialogue and the way he constantly elides certain actions, but I’m enjoying the challenge and change of pace. The different characters' voices are so distinct off the page.

On 6/4/2022 at 10:39 PM, thewhyteboar said:

I read about 20 more chapters of Moby Dick, then decided on a change of pace. The Keepers of the House, by Shirley Ann Grau.

Took me awhile to get through that one, felt like it started slow but then really picked up.

Up next is Election, by Tom Perotta.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Started reading The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin and am loving it. Great fantasy, and its use of second person POV (I know!) is actually really great.

Man, I’ve been in a reading funk lately, and I might just end up reading this trilogy again. It’s so good. 

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

Man, I’ve been in a reading funk lately, and I might just end up reading this trilogy again. It’s so good. 

I just finished the second book in the Books of Babel quadrilogy, and I would highly recommend giving the first book a try. It's called Senlin Ascends, by Josiah Bancroft. Beautiful prose and interesting concepts. It's kind of victorian/steampunk fantasy, but that plays a backseat to the world of the Tower of Babel.

Still working on multiple books but finished up a book called Influencer Island which is was an insane Hunger Games meets Fyre Festiva, and started Black Mouth by Ronald Malfi...which I have no doubt will be compare by many to IT, and I wouldn't argue as there are definite similarities. About halfway through and have to say it's damn good.  

• 2 weeks later...