The thread of pardons - first up, Mike Flynn

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I really, really, really, really hope a lot of people who have been counting on a pardon don't get one

For sure.  I hope that these chuds actually paid out cash in hopes of a pardon, but Trump just takes their money and gives them nothing in return.

Just now, BloodyHell said:

At this point, im just praying he doesn't pardon the capitol rioters. Jesus I can't believe I have to wonder about that.

If you can think it, he will do it, provided it benefits him. He has no conscience, it’s not a part of him that ever formed. 

26 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

If Trump does try to pardon himself, it will go to the supreme court, since there's no law that specifically says he can't. I hope the justices would recognize what a pandora's box they'd be opening if they let him do it.

Not quite:

Nemo judex in causa sua (or nemo judex in sua causa) is a Latin phrase that means, literally, "no-one is judge in his own cause." It is a principle of natural justice that no person can judge a case in which they have an interest. 

15 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Not quite:

Nemo judex in causa sua (or nemo judex in sua causa) is a Latin phrase that means, literally, "no-one is judge in his own cause." It is a principle of natural justice that no person can judge a case in which they have an interest. 

Sure, there are laws that *implicitly* say the president can't pardon himself. And I think that's pretty clear. But nothing *explicitly* says he can't do it, which is why it would go to the court.

16 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Not quite:

It'll come down to what the constitution actually says vs The Federalist Papers and folks I hate to break it to you there's a bunch of neo monarchists on scotus

Basically, there are laws that essentially say the president isn't above the law and that the defendant can't be the judge in their own trial, but they don't explicitly say the president can't pardon himself. The argument would then be that the laws imply that the president can't pardon himself, otherwise it would nullify those laws. But it's still technically an open question.

26 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It'll come down to what the constitution actually says vs The Federalist Papers and folks I hate to break it to you there's a bunch of neo monarchists on scotus

I really don't think they'd hold it up. Even this twisted court. Of course I've been wrong many, many times before, so take that for what its worth.

4 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I really don't think they'd hold it up. Even this twisted court. Of course I've been wrong many, many times before, so take that for what its worth.

I have to think it'd be one of those times where the court wouldn't go *that* far. I hope.

32 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

so we cheering for/or against pardons for the lackeys... doesnt a pardon in some ways legally trap some of these folks?

No. Presidential pardons can act essentially as armor for any federal crime, regardless of guilt. Trump says "I pardon lil wayne for any crime against the United States he may or may not have committed or participated in from 1/20/2017-1/20/2021," and that's that. There is no admission of guilt, and no prosecutor will spend the energy trying to prosecute when there's a get out of jail free card in play. It's a waste of time.

So, in theory, yes, you would have to admit to a crime to use your pardon, IF you were ever convicted of anything in the first place. But the pardon basically prevents those convictions from happening, so it's a moot point.

25 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

No. Presidential pardons can act essentially as armor for any federal crime, regardless of guilt. Trump says "I pardon lil wayne for any crime against the United States he may or may not have committed or participated in from 1/20/2017-1/20/2021," and that's that. There is no admission of guilt, and no prosecutor will spend the energy trying to prosecute when there's a get out of jail free card in play. It's a waste of time.

So, in theory, yes, you would have to admit to a crime to use your pardon, IF you were ever convicted of anything in the first place. But the pardon basically prevents those convictions from happening, so it's a moot point.

He doesn't even need to date it, just pardon in full for all federal crimes committed.

I don't give a shit about Lil Wayne, its the monsters from his administration I don't want pardoned.

2 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Wait? Did he really pardon Cruz for crimes against Kennedy? Wtf, how is that real? I know he claimed it during the primary, but is this just one last slap in the face, or am I missing something?

you ate the onion