Update: EA ($1.2 billion) outbids Take-Two ($974 million) to acquire Codemasters

Brian

• Brian changed the title to Take-Two buys Codemasters for $973.8M
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Take-Two to acquire Codemasters for nearly $1 billion

I don't really play any Codemasters games, so I can't say I necessarily have an opinion on the matter, but the last CM game I played was Dirt 3, and it was riddled with microtransactions. I think I might have played Grid Autosport a bit.

I don't like this move in the sense that I don't like large publishers slowly gobbling up smaller ones (which seems to be happening in every medium), but I don't really see an issue necessarily. I don't really view Take Two as worse than Codemasters.

Maybe Codemasters has gotten a lot better and I just haven't played the games idk

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Take-Two to acquire Codemasters for nearly $1 billion, update: EA enters the fray with a higher bid!
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: EA ($1.2 billion) outbids Take-Two ($974 million) to acquire Codemasters
14 hours ago, vaxick said:

RIP Codemasters.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
102836795-RTX1GZHV.jpg?v=1529451891
WWW.CNBC.COM

Electronic Arts reached an agreement on Monday to buy U.K. racing game developer Codemasters in a deal worth $1.2 billion.

PopEA to kill off Codemasters

Am I the only one wondering if acquiring to the rights to Dirt and the F1 series is worth 1.2 billion? Like, F1 at least has a license deal, but Dirt? Just make your own fucking racing game. If you have the backing of a publishing house like EA or Take Two, getting it in front of eyeballs isn't exactly an issue. It won't cost 1.2 billion to make. Just poach some of the staff from Codemasters and make your own.

I don't know, the business world is absolutely tits up sometimes.

Good for the people at Codemasters, though. Some folks are gonna get a nice retirement package.

Just now, The def star said:

Doesn't EA have enough studios that make racing games?

THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYING. WHY DO THIS? Just poach their staff, no need to spend over a billion dollars. It's not like you're buying the rights to Star Wars. Speaking of which, I believe EA's license deal with Star Wars ends in 2023. In their 7 years of having their exclusive Star Wars license, they've managed to make, what, 4 games? Battlefront, Battlefront II, Squadrons, and Fallen Order? And neither Battlefront game hit sales projections (let alone microtransaction revenue that never came)?

We don't know how much EA paid for that exclusive licensing deal, but I can't imagine it was worth it. And now they want to spend over a billion for Dirt?

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: EA ($1.2 billion) outbids Take-Two ($974 million) to acquire Codemasters
  • 5 weeks later...