Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I’m so skeptical of Bernie being able to win in the general. 

Hell, I’m skeptical of any of them being able to do it. 

Don't worry. None of them are going to win because trump & co will rig the fuck out of everything. 

Butti claims irregularities in the Nevada caucuses

Pete Buttigieg’s campaign has questioned his third-place finish in Nevada’s caucuses and called for the state’s Democratic party to release a more detailed breakdown of votes and address reports of more than 200 problems allocating votes in Saturday’s caucuses.

"Currently, our data shows that this is a razor thin margin for second place in Nevada," said Hari Sevugan, Buttigieg's deputy campaign manager, about the letter. "And due to irregularities and a number of unresolved questions we have raised with the Nevada Democratic Party, it's unclear what the final results will be."

The claim matches that of a Biden campaign precinct captain who told The Associated Press he witnessed two precincts Saturday where caucus organizers announced midway through that they had switched the vote numbers for the precincts, before switching them back and forth at least four times.

Curious on people's opinion on a random thought I had: would framing M4A and other social services as basically infrastructure be an effective analogy/argument for people? Clearly the "rights" argument doesn't really fly for a lot of people in the country, but there is also good motivation for it as a society productivity multiplier, because a society that is unhealthy and not getting preventative care will ultimately be less effective.

The counter point I can see being made is that infrastructure has lasting value when paid for once. But I don't think that's a greater counter point because we've all observed just how much constant maintenance roads et al require.

Just now, legend said:

Curious on people's opinion on a random thought I had: would framing M4A and other social services as basically infrastructure be an effective analogy for people? Clearly the "rights" argument doesn't really fly for a lot of people in the country, but there is also good motivation for it as a society productivity multiplier, because a society that is unhealthy and not getting preventative care will ultimately be less effective.

The counter point I can see being made is that infrastructure has lasting value. But I don't think that's a greater counter point because we've all observed just how much constant maintenance roads et al require.

I have long advocated using the "public good" argument as a framing device for M4A.

Hell, I would even go so far as to frame it as a national security argument if necessary!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, legend said:

Curious on people's opinion on a random thought I had: would framing M4A and other social services as basically infrastructure be an effective analogy/argument for people? Clearly the "rights" argument doesn't really fly for a lot of people in the country, but there is also good motivation for it as a society productivity multiplier, because a society that is unhealthy and not getting preventative care will ultimately be less effective.

The counter point I can see being made is that infrastructure has lasting value when paid for once. But I don't think that's a greater counter point because we've all observed just how much constant maintenance roads et al require.

The moderate pivot, without actually pivoting, needs to be the economic benefits of M4A.  Removing market barriers for small businesses, the back bone of the American economy. Reducing the size of government by eliminating the health division of each State's Department of Insurance, massively downsizing Medicaid (under M4A Medicaid would be simply to fund institutional long term care), and opening the door to a complete restructure of the VA. 

6 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

The moderate pivot, without actually pivoting, needs to be the economic benefits of M4A.  Removing market barriers for small businesses, the back bone of the American economy. Reducing the size of government by eliminating the health division of each State's Department of Insurance, massively downsizing Medicaid (under M4A Medicaid would be simply to fund institutional long term care), and opening the door to a complete restructure of the VA. 

Having M4A absolutely makes it easier to start a small business, or leave your existing job to risk something new. But that is actually a bad thing for the powers that be, since a captive workforce is one that can be paid less, and controlled more easily. This is why economic mobility in the US has continued to fall to where the US is one of the worst-off in the western world; if you can't afford to take a risk on a new job or small business, you won't move up the economic ladder. 

I changed careers at age 30 and went back to school and I didn't have to worry about my health insurance or anything else because I knew the government had my back. Now I work a stress-free job that pays better! If I had been tied to my old job for the insurance (especially with a spouse that was just diagnosed with MS before I made the change!) then I would never have left.

Keeping in mind that this pollster over-reports Warren, I do think she received a bump from the debate. It wasn't reflected in the NV results because over 75% of people voted early (before the debate). 

SC will be interesting. I think Biden will win, with Sanders a close second and either Steyer or Warren third. I can't wait until the media starts reporting stuff like "Biden wins SC, is Sanders' momentum stopped!?!?!"

48 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Having M4A absolutely makes it easier to start a small business, or leave your existing job to risk something new. But that is actually a bad thing for the powers that be, since a captive workforce is one that can be paid less, and controlled more easily. This is why economic mobility in the US has continued to fall to where the US is one of the worst-off in the western world; if you can't afford to take a risk on a new job or small business, you won't move up the economic ladder. 

I changed careers at age 30 and went back to school and I didn't have to worry about my health insurance or anything else because I knew the government had my back. Now I work a stress-free job that pays better! If I had been tied to my old job for the insurance (especially with a spouse that was just diagnosed with MS before I made the change!) then I would never have left.

This is issue for me right now. My wife wants me to go back to school,I have the money if something goes sideways but not enough to cover insurance.

9 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Keeping in mind that this pollster over-reports Warren, I do think she received a bump from the debate. It wasn't reflected in the NV results because over 75% of people voted early (before the debate). 

SC will be interesting. I think Biden will win, with Sanders a close second and either Steyer or Warren third. I can't wait until the media starts reporting stuff like "Biden wins SC, is Sanders' momentum stopped!?!?!"

They over-report Warren?  Are you simply going off that one NH poll? This is their first national poll AFAIK.

Just now, Jose said:

They over-report Warren?  Are you simply going off that one NH poll? This is their first national poll AFAIK.

From what I read in the resetERA thread, they have over-reported her numbers in the state surveys they've done. Possibly with how they weight education.

Could be nothing though! Personally, I hope that Warren somehow becomes the "moderate" compromise (with Bernie winning).

Steyer will return to the debate stage tomorrow, which likely concerns Biden.

In an interview broadcast on CBS’s Face the Nation on Sunday, Biden said a recent fall in his support with African Americans in South Carolina, a key bloc for a man who won elections with Barack Obama in 2008 and 2012, was due to “Steyer spending hundreds of millions, tens of thousands of dollars, millions of dollars, out campaigning there.

“And so I think a lot is happening in terms of the amount of money being spent by the billionaires to try to cut into the African American vote. I think that has a lot to do with it.”

Biden denied that Steyer was melting his “firewall” and expressed confidence in his chances.

In South Carolina, Steyer has campaigned heavily and focused on issues important to black voters including support for historically black colleges and universities and reparations for slavery.

Speaking to the Guardian this week, one South Carolina voter, Najeema Davis Washington, said Steyer “caught [her] attention years ago” with his advocacy for combating climate change and the racial wealth gap, issues she said “speak to what affects African Americans most”.

But the realclearpolitics.com polling average still puts Biden top in South Carolina with 24.5% support – followed by Sanders on 21.5% and Steyer on 16.5% – and many in the state still expect a Biden win.

So the entrants are:

Biden

Bloomberg

Buttigieg

Klobuchar

Sanders

Steyer

Warren

13 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

This is issue for me right now. My wife wants me to go back to school,I have the money if something goes sideways but not enough to cover insurance.

FWIW, if it's grad school and you can secure an RA/TA position you'll probably have health insurance.

• Thanks 1

One of my best friends came into town last night and stayed with me. We talked about the election and he shared something that was SHOCKING. Now, he is more moderate than I am and isn't feeling the Bern. That's fine. But I was flabbergasted at this...

He is supporting Klobuchar!

He's seen more than her debate appearances and he says she does very well in town hall settings (Elena cringe aside) and she is able to articulate her ideas well when not limited to 45 seconds on the debate stage. He digs the midwest moderate thing she has. And I think that's fine. If it's Trump v. Klob, then I'm getting Charred. 

But I was just surprised to meet a real life supporter of Klobuchar. 

9 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Not all insurance is good insurance, and even good insurance can put you through a nightmare of bureaucracy and still nearly bankrupt you and your family during a terrible time in your life.

Every time I read a story like this -- and there are countless -- I'm always reminded that this system is the sensible centrist one and creating a system more similar to the ones the people in Canada, New Zealand and the UK are talking about in the comments section is considered extreme.

• Guillotine 2

House Majority Whip Clyburn to endorse Biden in South Carolina

20200223-clyburn-jim-gty-773.jpg

The planned endorsement is expected three days ahead of the state's Saturday primary, giving Biden an important boost in a state that will likely determine the fate of his candidacy. Clyburn, the highest ranking African American in Congress, has long been close with Biden and has been open about his affinity for the former vice president during the Democratic primary.

Several panicked Democrats, including one with direct knowledge of the planned endorsement, said they see it as a last-ditch effort to blunt Bernie Sanders’ momentum before he runs away with the nomination. But even among those Democratic lawmakers and aides, some are skeptical it will work, given the several other moderates still in the race who are splitting the anti-Sanders vote.

48 minutes ago, Jose said:

My biggest worry is that the debate bump will end up being mitigated by how poorly she performed in Nevada.

She needs to be vicious tomorrow.

SC primary is on Saturday and there is essentially zero chance of her winning or even coming in second. 

5 minutes ago, elbobo said:

SC primary is on Saturday and there is essentially zero chance of her winning or even coming in second. 

I understand that, but her performance tomorrow could have a large impact on her Super Tuesday results.