Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

47 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I mean, the primary system is dumb in many ways (but smart in others). It's bad because it lets small rural states have too much influence on the candidates. It's good I guess in that it theoretically lets smaller candidates build momentum.

But personally I think an in-party national vote would be better.

It would be better if the early states were not just rural and white, but also significantly urban/suburban and diverse. So maybe have 2-3 early states (IA, SC, and NV) go all at once but good luck getting that to happen

Wall Street no likey Warren

For months, it has been a behind closed-doors, off-the-record conversation. Bankers and money managers grumbling that a President Elizabeth Warren would be bad for business. Her wealth tax is misguided. She doesn't understand the American Dream, and she is "vilifying success."

More recently, bankers and money men are saying it out loud.

Tuesday in an interview on CNBC, JP Morgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon said, "[Warren] uses some pretty harsh words, you know, some would say vilifies successful people. I don't like vilifying anybody. I think we should applaud successful people."

Among the first to go public, billionaire money manager Leon Cooperman, who is now in a public spat on Twitter with the Massachusetts senator. He sparked a mini "s-storm" in money circles when he said this to Politico, predicting a 25% market decline if she is elected.

"What is wrong with billionaires? You can become a billionaire by developing products and services that people will pay for," he said.  "I believe in a progressive income tax and the rich paying more. But this is the f***ing American dream she is sh***ing on."

1 hour ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

another reminder that Bill Gates is scum

You don’t get to his level without counting every bean, and if someone is talking about taking 94% of those beans (using his numbers), you’d definitely check your beans twice.

When guys like him and Buffet talk about they should pay more in taxes, I don’t believe them, the IRS takes donations, so they are free to do so. I’d prefer they do that, because anything tax law that starts at the top will trickle down to the rest with greater impact.

1 hour ago, Commodore D said:

You don’t get to his level without counting every bean, and if someone is talking about taking 94% of those beans (using his numbers), you’d definitely check your beans twice.

When guys like him and Buffet talk about they should pay more in taxes, I don’t believe them, the IRS takes donations, so they are free to do so. I’d prefer they do that, because anything tax law that starts at the top will trickle down to the rest with greater impact.

Who the hell is talking about taking 94% of his wealth? That's absurd and he knows it. 

• Like 1

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

Who the hell is talking about taking 94% of his wealth? That's absurd and he knows it. 

Which is why it's also somewhat absurd for Sanders to say "Say he was taxed $100 billion?  What's the big deal?"

It's true, Bill Gates would still have enough money to own private islands if he paid $100 billion in taxes, but you're still talking about an effective tax rate of 94%. (since Gates's net worth is 106 billion, I believe)

Not even the Nordic countries have tax rates that high--Finland and Sweden's top marginal tax rates get close to 60% at max. (and those aren't wealth taxes)

You can be for highly progressive taxes and a much more redistributive state--and even support a wealth tax--and still agree taxing away 94% of someone's net worth is excessive.

18 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

We could even double Warren's wealth tax and Bill Gates has so much money his bank account will still go up on simple investment alone. 

I don’t think there are any bank accounts generating interest rates in excess of the average inflation rate. But guy still ain’t at any risk of no longer being so wealthy he can afford whatever he wants even if he has “only” 6 billion lying around :p 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-debate/citing-labor-dispute-democrats-to-find-new-site-for-december-debate-idUSKBN1XG2UW

The Democratic Party will no longer hold its December presidential debate at the University of California, Los Angeles, party officials said on Wednesday, siding with a union locked in a labor dispute with the school’s administration.

Organized labor is a key constituency for the left-leaning party as it seeks to defeat Republican President Donald Trump in the November 2020 presidential election.

“In response to concerns raised by the local organized labor community in Los Angeles, we have asked our media partners to seek an alternative site for the December debate,” Democratic National Committee senior adviser Mary Beth Cahill said in an emailed statement.

5 hours ago, Anathema- said:

People who make bad faith arguments, like the guy you're quoting.

I didn't make the argument, Mr. Gates did (probably with a wink). Also, my arguments are always made in good faith, and on the rare occasion they are ill informed, I at least admit the short coming. 

6 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

Its really hard to defend rich people anymore, 100 billion and you still have more money left over than this entire board will make in its lifetime.

Man don't undersell the board, there is potential here. 

• Haha 1

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/one-last-candidate-qualifies-for-the-november-debate/?

Here are the candidates who qualified for the November debate:

Joe Biden   
Bernie Sanders    
Elizabeth Warren    
Pete Buttigieg    
Kamala Harris   
Andrew Yang    
Tom Steyer 
Amy Klobuchar  
Cory Booker  
Tulsi Gabbard    

These haven't and very likely won't: