AMD's Big Navi / RDNA2 Conference : Starts at 12pm EST

crispy4000

Personally, I'm happily surprised that AMD think that they can go head to head with the 3080 at 4K in any circumstance. Despite any rumors or what they'd said previously and after what nVidia pulled off with their new cards, I was fully prepared for AMD to cede the high end for another generation.

I'm still dubious how well it will perform with Ray Tracing and especially dubious about them competing with DLSS anytime soon, but I hope we see benchmarks that come close to these marketing claims.

6800XT pros and cons over RTX 3080

Pros

• Cheaper
  • More VRAM
  • Trades blows to potentially faster in rasterization
  • May consume less power
  • They may actually be available! (we will see)

Cons

• No DLSS equivalent
  • Ray tracing performance is slower 
  • Perceived worse drivers (although I don't think this is true)

Honestly, this is more than I expected from AMD! Its true that they don't presently have a DLSS type solution and when they do they may be as challenged as Nvidia has been getting it off the ground, but those raw power numbers are still pretty impressive! I'm stuck in a meeting so I didn't see, did they offer any price points yet? 

Glad to see AMD stepping up again!

I would like to remind everyone that these benchmarks are done by AMD internally and may not reflect actual testing. The charts I have seen only provide minimal information about game settings and the test rigs.

I only mention this because nVidia was guilty of saying the 3090 can do 8K when it can only do it in specific games with specific settings.

Personally I am sticking with nVidia isince I want to mess around with some AI and the fact that I have a gsync monitor.

The AMD cards sure do look like great value for people not in my circumstance!

4 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Honestly, this is more than I expected from AMD! Its true that they don't presently have a DLSS type solution and when they do they may be as challenged as Nvidia has been getting it off the ground, but those raw power numbers are still pretty impressive! I'm stuck in a meeting so I didn't see, did they offer any price points yet? 

$650 for the 6800XT

$1000 for the 6900XT

Hopefully this means nVidia will drop prices on the 3090s. They were already pretty shit value to begin with.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Holy shit, that's some genuine competitive pricing! THAK YOU AMD! 

Honestly, I am thinking about cancelling my backorder that I have for a 3080 because of this. If nVidia has TIs hidden up their sleeves and reduce pricing I may get lucky by waiting a bit. 🤔

I am just now getting around to play Dragon Age Inquisition. My 2080 Super is overkill for that game 😂

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I expected the 6900XT to be only slightly faster the 3070. I was shocked to see this. AMD has caught up in terms of performance per watt in rasterization basically.

They are missing a key feature and that's what's going to hurt. However, AMD has cash, even with their latest acquisition since it is an all stock deal. With their money and console wins, everyone has a serious motive to work with them on a good DLSS competitor. I expect good things.

4 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

I expected the 6900XT to be only slightly faster the 3070. I was shocked to see this. AMD has caught up in terms of performance per watt in rasterization basically.

They are missing a key feature and that's what's going to hurt. However, AMD has cash, even with their latest acquisition since it is an all stock deal. With their money and console wins, everyone has a serious motive to work with them on a good DLSS competitor. I expect good things.

Same! I guess this is why Nvidia is rumored to be prepping a 3080ti, looks like they'll need it! :p 

• Like 1

VERY tempted by AMD's offerings considering it's still nearly impossible to get an RTX 3000 card for a reasonable price. However, two big drawbacks for me are 1) no DLSS/equivalent at the moment and 2) LG is not bringing FreeSync support to their 2019 OLEDs, just their 2020 models. :angry:

33 minutes ago, morph89 said:

VERY tempted by AMD's offerings considering it's still nearly impossible to get an RTX 3000 card for a reasonable price. However, two big drawbacks for me are 1) no DLSS/equivalent at the moment and 2) LG is not bringing FreeSync support to their 2019 OLEDs, just their 2020 models. :angry:

Probably better to stick with Nvidia. My Samsung monitor is freesync so I am good to go there. DLSS isn't that popular yet and I am on the graphics tread mill as I chase 60+ FPS Superultrawide 1440p. Soon as the next gen of GPUs is out I will upgrade.

Ideally I'd like to see a superwide 4k monitor but I am married to Samsung for the moment. Though I think Alienware makes a 50in ultrawide 4k monitor. Not sure what the future holds but I will get Zen 4 RDNA2 and get RDNA3 and I assume we will be on Zen 6 by then. 

Did anyone catch the timeline. It showed RDNA3 before 2022? I took it as RDNA3 as a 2022 release.

2 hours ago, TomCat said:

boom TomCat  told Crispy ass That Amd  was go give Nvidia  a Good kick in the ass like they did intel.    Damn TomCat was right once again  LOL

AMD made Intel CPUs much less desirable.  

DLSS still makes AMD GPUs much less desirable.  Worse RT performance for the price too for the 6800XT, going by the leaks.

We're still waiting on the moment you think is here.

What's exciting here is the promise of things to come, and catching up on the traditional rasterization end.  Like the next-gen consoles, these cards could feel a whole lot better once 'Super Resolution' is a thing.

As others have said, it also puts pressure on NVIDIA in the next round to price competitively.

17 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

AMD made Intel CPUs much less desirable.  

DLSS still makes AMD GPUs much less desirable.  Worse RT performance for the price too for the 6800XT, going by the leaks.

What's exciting here is the promise of things to come, and catching up on the rasterization end.  Like the next-gen consoles, things could get a whole lot better once 'Super Resolution' is a thing.

As others have said, it also puts pressure on NVIDIA in the next round to price competitively.

I wasnt expecting them to have raytracing better then Nvidia because its thier first try at it.  I also didnt expect them to have a DLSS version ready yet. Both of them are for RDNA3

4 minutes ago, TomCat said:

I wasnt expecting them to have raytracing better then Nvidia because its thier first try at it.  I also didnt expect them to have a DLSS version ready yet. Both of them are for RDNA3

Actually, it's intended for RDNA2 still.

While AMD is promising to go head to head with Nvidia in 4K gaming and more, the one big missing piece of this battle is a lack of an equivalent to Nvidia’s DLSS. Nvidia’s AI-powered super sampling technology has been transformative for the games that support it, bringing great image quality and higher frame rates by simply toggling a game setting.

AMD tells me it has a new super sampling feature in testing, which is designed to increase performance during ray tracing. The company is promising its super sampling technology will be open and cross-platform, which means it could come to next-gen consoles like the Xbox Series X and PS5. AMD is working with a number of partners on this technology, and it’s expecting strong industry support. Unfortunately, this won’t be ready for the launch of these three new Radeon RX 6000 Series cards.

9 hours ago, TomCat said:

MS doesnt care what AMD is doing on that front they have their own api  DirectML  that will take care of that

They're likely one the same.  Microsoft's referred to their ML tech as "super resolution" in the past.  At AMD's conference, its in the same slide as the DX12 logo.  And today is the first time Microsoft said anything about upscaling techniques and the Series X.

14 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

They're likely one the same.  Microsoft's referred to their ML tech as "super resolution" in the past.  At AMD's conference, it in the same slide as the DX12 logo.  And today is the first time Microsoft said anything about upscaling techniques and the Series X.

No its not they have demonstrated DirectML  with nvidia cards

28101407757l.jpg
WWW.OVERCLOCK3D.NET

AI has the power to revolutionise gaming, and DirectML is how Microsoft plans to exploit it

This technique has also been showcased during one of Microsoft's SIGGRAPH 2018 tech talks. This talk, which is entitled "Deep Learning for Real-Time Rendering: Accelerating GPU Inferencing with DirectML and DirectX 12" showcases Nvidia hardware upscaling Playground Games' Forza Horizon 3 from 1080p to 4K using DirectML in real-time. DirectML has the potential to improve the graphical fidelity of future console and PC games.

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Whatever API Microsoft and/or AMD is developing wouldn't be exclusive to one vendor.

MS will use their own customized version and Sony will be the one using amd's version  not Microsoft.  Just like MS will be using thier own custom version of DXR and will get better performance then the rdna 2 cards in Raytracing

46 minutes ago, TomCat said:

MS will use their own customized version and Sony will be the one using amd's version  not Microsoft.  Just like MS will be using thier own custom version of DXR and will get better performance then the rdna 2 cards in Raytracing

Still assumes these are two different projects, not a collaboration.  We could expect some tweaks between Series X and PC regardless.

What's to say Sony couldn't do something custom with upscaling again?  They're custom building plenty of things as is.  But hopefully AMD's solution is good enough that no major tinkering is needed for either platform.

The best part about this news?  AMD's ML Super Sampling will go cross-platform and open source, meaning developers can take it and run with it as they see fit:

6 hours ago, morph89 said:

Wait, these GPUs aren’t HDMI 2.1? If they’re HDMI 2.1 then VRR will work regardless of Freesync or GSync. Freesync compatibility on TVs would only matter for VRR via a HDMI 2.0 port.

8 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Wait, these GPUs aren’t HDMI 2.1? If they’re HDMI 2.1 then VRR will work regardless of Freesync or GSync. Freesync compatibility on TVs would only matter for VRR via a HDMI 2.0 port.

Hmm, after looking a little more into it, it sounds like HDMI 2.1 VRR range is 40-120Hz. If frames drop below that range with FreeSync, AMD low framerate compensation kicks in. Not sure if LFC will work with HDMI 2.1 VRR or if that's G-Sync/FreeSync only... 

All cards were tested on the same platform, which is featuring AMD’s ‘Zen3’ Ryzen 9 5900X CPU. The platform has Smart Access Memory technology enabled through BIOS with ‘1-click overclocking’ Rage Mode not enabled. We are not yet sure how both technologies really affect performance in relation to Intel systems. Reviewers will definitely be focusing on this aspect next month when RDNA2 GPUs will be released.

RX6000-vs-RTX30-System-Configuration.png

AMD-Radeon-RX-6900XT-6800XT-6800-vs-GeFo

AMD-Radeon-RX-6900XT-6800XT-6800-vs-GeFo

The original charts can be found here: 

AMD-Radeon-RX-6900XT.jpg
VIDEOCARDZ.COM

AMD marketing machine is certainly not slowing down after the big announcement. Today the manufacturer published gaming benchmarks on an easy to use website with direct comparison to its competitor. AMD publishes further Radeon RX 6900/6800 series gaming performance data AMD is comparing Radeon RX 6900XT, Radeon RX 6800XT and Radeon RX 6800 directly with […]