Spider-Man PS5 Remaster won't be Free Upgrade for current PS4 owners

JPDunks4

And I just bought Spiderman a few months ago, believing that Sony wouldn't charge for upgrades after all the different developers and publishers had been coming out confirming they would be offering Free next gen upgrades. 

I haven't even fired it up yet, does Sony offer refunds for not played games?

• JPDunks4 changed the title to Spider-Man PS5 Remaster won't be Free Upgrade for current PS4 owners
51 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

And I just bought Spiderman a few months ago, believing that Sony wouldn't charge for upgrades after all the different developers and publishers had been coming out confirming they would be offering Free next gen upgrades. 

I haven't even fired it up yet, does Sony offer refunds for not played games?

That is kinda of an impressive cluster they have going on there.  So if you have the disc - then you can play the game if you get the disc version of the PS5.  If you get the DE you are out of luck.  If you have a digital copy it will play on any PS5.  However you will be playing the PS4 version on the PS5.  Apparently if you want the remaster version you have to buy it separate.  Maybe they will offer some form of a $10 upgrade... since that is the difference in cost.

Pretty big mess for a first party game.

24 minutes ago, number305 said:

That is kinda of an impressive cluster they have going on there.  So if you have the disc - then you can play the game if you get the disc version of the PS5.  If you get the DE you are out of luck.  If you have a digital copy it will play on any PS5.  However you will be playing the PS4 version on the PS5.  Apparently if you want the remaster version you have to buy it separate.  Maybe they will offer some form of a $10 upgrade... since that is the difference in cost.

I'm not sure I follow. There are two versions of Spiderman you can buy for ps5, just Miles or the delux with remaster. That will be the same offer online. The question is if they let you buy the remastered version on it's own without buying miles (possibly, probably?).

I do think it's a bit of a dick move/sucky to not allow those who own spiderman already to purchase an upgrade for the ps5 version (when other publishers are) but it's not like sony made any of their ps3 -> ps4 remasters get a free upgrade.

I think that Sony is having trouble dealing with the expectations that Microsoft has set, as well as the muddy state of both consoles with their upgraded versions for the Pro/One X.

Everything I've seen from Sony indicates that they want to treat the PS5 as a whole new console, new generation, and every piece of software is either a PS4 game or a PS5 game. Sure, it's backwards compatible (to whatever degree), but you're just playing your old game on the new console. Want the PS5 version of that game? Go ahead and buy it.

The nature of games as static items that you buy for a single system have fundamentally shifted, and as the market leader Sony doesn't want lose out on a dime. That's a fine position to take, but they're going to have to get much better at communication.

It's not just Microsoft, CD Project Red has thrown down the gauntlet too, updating a 2015 game for free for everyone.

The newer releases, like the Ubisoft games being updated I think are a given, but the updating of some older titles for free is definitely the nice touch from Microsoft and CD Project Red.  

The bigger question for me is what are their plans for Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima.  They are releasing the new co-op mode with GoT sometime this fall, probably pretty close to launch.  If they charge for a PS5 Upgrade on a game that released a few months ago, then I think they deserve a lot of blow back for it.  Same with Last of Us 2.

Arrogant Sony is back!

You might not like the games that MS does or think it has "no games" and you might not need any sort of Xbox because you have a gaming PC, but I think MS has been pretty clear in communicating what it is they are doing and they do things like support Backwards Compat and smart delivery. I don't think MS gets enough credit for some things they do, some of their X enhanced games were basically "free" remasters. 

21 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Arrogant Sony is back!

You might not like the games that MS does or think it has "no games" and you might not need any sort of Xbox because you have a gaming PC, but I think MS has been pretty clear in communicating what it is they are doing and they do things like support Backwards Compat and smart delivery. I don't think MS gets enough credit for some things they do, some of their X enhanced games were basically "free" remasters. 

It's a more of a question of how much added polish should warrant a re-sale.  We're seeing games now from multiple publishers now staking out that claim with raytracing (and the like).  There's also franchises like Call of Duty and NBA 2K that are creating that divide at release.

I want to know if we look back a year from now, if updates like Gears 5 and Cyberpunk will be commonplace.  Or will paid remasters like Spider-Man, Control, DMC5, etc be the norm.  Or maybe paid patches?

Either way, I don't think any publisher is updating their entire current gen catalog like this.

1 hour ago, number305 said:

I have the digital versions of Spiderman, Last of Us 2, Ghosts of Tsushima AND Days Gone. Will this be the same policy for ALL Sony 1st parties?

At least being able to play your PS4 library on the PS5 is happening. Before Microsoft’s push for BC, Ryan had no interest. 

“When we’ve dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much,” said Ryan.

“That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?”

June 2017

15 minutes ago, maddux4163 said:

Were all of the PS3 remasters free on PS4? 

Were all of the PS2 remasters free on PS3? 

Why did anyone think that companies want to put money and time into a product to give it away on a new platform. 

Sure, there are exceptions, like Cyberpunk, but that game isn’t out yet in any form. 

Those are completely different architectures.  These new consoles are x86 and continuing on with x86, hence making BC more easily possible.  So its not a direct comparison really, as in the past they had to essentially completely rebuild the game.

46 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Those are completely different architectures.  These new consoles are x86 and continuing on with x86, hence making BC more easily possible.  So its not a direct comparison really, as in the past they had to essentially completely rebuild the game.

Yea, this is more the equivalent of Shadow of the Tomb Raider getting a patch that added ray-tracing then it is an actual remaster, IMO.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

What are the changes? :confused:

Re-doing character models+animation, ray tracing, instant load times, haptic feedback on the controller, 3D audio are the things that will actually take some work.  They also said an improved framerate, draw distance, and population density, but these should be less work since PC games have been doing this shit for years now and should be simple code to change.  Also 3 new suits.  I guess you could also say the new character models aren't really "extra" work because they are most likely going to re-use those models in the sequel PS5 Spider-Man game anyway; heck they probably already made those models for the sequel but decided to throw them into remaster.

So they are offering a little more than what I'd consider a "free" upgrade, but definitely far from a full-fledged game.  $10-20 DLC is what I think all of this would be worth.  $30-40 if someone doesn't own the PS4 version and has to buy the game anyway.

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

If you own the original game, hopefully they treat the PS5 version as DLC so you don't have to pay full price for the game.  The changes they are making do sound significant, but most of the content will be the same.

Steam often does this. If it’s not free, you’ll get a cheaper offer if you have the original 

42 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

One thought on this.

This might not be Sony necessarily, it could also be Marvel and them wanting that extra $ from additional sales. 

I don't think Marvel can dictate to them what platforms they can release their game on. Sony OWNS the Spidey license as long as they continue to use it... in fact they are licensing Spidey to MARVEL for use in the Marvel films. Also the fact that other Sony first parties are going cross platform leads one to believe this is purely a Sony decisionj.

6 hours ago, maddux4163 said:

Were all of the PS3 remasters free on PS4? 

Were all of the PS2 remasters free on PS3? 

Why did anyone think that companies want to put money and time into a product to give it away on a new platform. 

Sure, there are exceptions, like Cyberpunk, but that game isn’t out yet in any form. 

Why would company want to build a reputation of goodwill to get people hyped for their future projects and make them feel supported when they can put in a minimal amount of effort and charge a bunch of money?

I don't know, maddux, why would they? The only thing that matters is immediate returns, and we as consumers should definitely rationalize this for them instead of making them fight for our dollars. That's definitely the best way to make the industry a better place to be a consumer.

I think it’s fair to hope a business follows the footsteps of a competitor when that competitor makes a pro-consumer move, like MS has been doing the last couple of years and during this cross-generation period.

I can also understand why a market leader in the high end console niche wouldn’t feel the need to do those things. But pride often comes before the fall. Maybe not right away, but it’s hard to play catch up to the things MS has been doing that Sony has been somewhat reticent to also do.

2 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Why would company want to build a reputation of goodwill to get people hyped for their future projects and make them feel supported when they can put in a minimal amount of effort and charge a bunch of money?

I don't know, maddux, why would they? The only thing that matters is immediate returns, and we as consumers should definitely rationalize this for them instead of making them fight for our dollars. That's definitely the best way to make the industry a better place to be a consumer.

Exactly. Why? Ask EA. Richest game company on earth and the filthiest pieces of shit too. Pays to be greedy. Consumers are fucking stupid and buy it up anyway 

1 minute ago, maddux4163 said:

Exactly. Why? Ask EA. Richest game company on earth and the filthiest pieces of shit too. Pays to be greedy. Consumers are fucking stupid and buy it up anyway 

EA is actually doing free next gen upgrades though and putting their games with gamepass.

I guess they aren't the greediest and filthiest anymore!

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

EA is actually doing free next gen upgrades though and putting their games with gamepass.

I guess they aren't the greediest and filthiest anymore!

Really? 

The only reason they’re on game pass is their “EA PLAY” or whatever. They made a deal with Microsoft. I assure you it wasn’t them being generous. 

That and I think Sega, Nintendo, MS Studios (Not MS as a whole) and Sony Computer Entertainment and I think Namco Bandai or something are all worth more than EA. Maybe Activision too? They're all scummy to their own degrees and obviously there's a difference between "makes games and hardware" vs just making games, but still.

Really? 

The only reason they’re on game pass is their “EA PLAY” or whatever. They made a deal with Microsoft. I assure you it wasn’t them being generous. 

You’re shifting the goal posts now. You asked why a company would

do <insert behavior> and then when presented with logical reasons why a company might choose a pro-consumer option, it’s now “it’s not them being generous”.

Who cares whether they are being generous or not if they are making a decision that favors the consumer?

Just now, sblfilms said:

You’re shifting the goal posts now. You asked why a company would

do <insert behavior> and then when presented with logical reasons why a company might choose a pro-consumer option, it’s now “it’s not them being generous”.

Who cares whether they are being generous or not if they are making a decision that favors the consumer?

I like to shift goal posts. Especially when madden hasn’t seen anything beyond a roster update in a decade and seen modes erased from their game. Instead it’s a loot box shit show 

6 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

That and I think Sega, Nintendo, MS Studios (Not MS as a whole) and Sony Computer Entertainment and I think Namco Bandai or something are all worth more than EA. Maybe Activision too? They're all scummy to their own degrees and obviously there's a difference between "makes games and hardware" vs just making games, but still.

Yeah I mean, profit wise I’m not sure. EA solely makes roster updates. Those other companies produce hardware and make new games 

Yeah I mean, profit wise I’m not sure. EA solely makes roster updates. Those other companies produce hardware and make new games 

I'm going to stop you right there. Madden 21 is not a roster update so please stop saying it is. It is by far a worse playing more buggy game than madden 20.  A roster update would have been preferred. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, number305 said:

I'm going to stop you right there. Madden 21 is not a roster update so please stop saying it is. It is by far a worse playing more buggy game than madden 20.  A roster update would have been preferred. 

Bingo. Man. Madden used to be amazing. Truly. The customization. Create your own teams, stadiums, etc. practice drills and mini games. Super deep franchise mode. Ugh. 

Madden would be better if they just had like 600 hours of Madden just talking about whatever the fuck he talks about daily. "The thing about sculptures is, y'know, they have to be sculpted." "You know, you know, I think it's important to remember that it takes a lot of paint to make a big painting."