Spider-Man PS5 Remaster won't be Free Upgrade for current PS4 owners

JPDunks4

Just now, Xbob42 said:

Madden would be better if they just had like 600 hours of Madden just talking about whatever the fuck he talks about daily. "The thing about sculptures is, y'know, they have to be sculpted." "You know, you know, I think it's important to remember that it takes a lot of paint to make a big painting."

That or maybe Frank Caliendo impersonating Madden doing that. Also he’s required to mention Bret Favre twice every 10 minutes 

Back on topic, I put together the currently released games confirmed to have next-gen lighting (ie: raytracing) updates.

Free

Witcher 3
Marvel's Avengers
Fortnite
Gears 5

New retail release

Spider-Man Remastered (part of MM's $70 edition)
Control Ultimate Edition
Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition

Notable MIAs
Metro Exodus
Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Battlefield V

Wolfenstein Youngblood

Minecraft (still just a demo, for now)

Crysis Remastered

Does it in the current gen

Very interested to see how this list grows.  I don't think we should expect nearly of much of it as general resolution/framerate/texture uplifts.  It would make these RT updates more selective ... but that's not a great argument for a full new retail release either.

59 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Back on topic, I put together the currently released games confirmed to have next-gen lighting (ie: raytracing) updates.

Free

Witcher 3
Marvel's Avengers
Fortnite
Gears 5

New retail release

Spider-Man Remastered (part of MM's $70 edition)
Control Ultimate Edition
Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition

Notable MIAs
Metro Exodus
Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Battlefield V

Wolfenstein Youngblood

Minecraft (still just a demo, for now)

Crysis Remastered

Does it in the current gen

Very interested to see how this list grows.  I don't think we should expect nearly of much of it as general resolution/framerate/texture uplifts.  It would make these RT updates more selective ... but that's not a great argument for a full new retail release either.

So $70 gets me MM+spidy upgrade day 1?

2 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Madden would be better if they just had like 600 hours of Madden just talking about whatever the fuck he talks about daily. "The thing about sculptures is, y'know, they have to be sculpted." "You know, you know, I think it's important to remember that it takes a lot of paint to make a big painting."

Holy shit I remember one game, it had to be back in the early 90's (cuz the Cowboys were good)... the camera zoomed in on the field and one of the players must have dropped his candy cuz there was a Snickers in the middle of the field. John Madden must have talked about that Snickers for most of the second half, like out of all of the shit going on on the field, the candy bar was the most fascinating thing to him. He drew a diagram on the screen where the candy bar was sitting in relation to the previous play trying to figure out who the fucking candy bar belonged to. THAT WAS GOLDEN AGE JOHN MADDEN RIGHT THERE.

34 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Wait, really? I mean I guess folks who would want to upgrade would want MM Spiderman as well but still. They're FORCING you to spend 70 bucks.

That's what this thread is about, right?  It's not free, and you can't even buy a $20 patch.  It's similar to when Modern Warfare Remastered was locked to Call of Duty Infinite's special edition.

Where people need to chill a bit, IMO, is seeing there's no new normal here.  It's not on Microsoft, Sony, Capcom, Activision, 505, any publisher really, to patch their currently on-shelf games with next-gen rendering techniques.  Only a few titles are getting significant visual updates like that to begin with, paid or not.  There's also games you'd expect to go there (because of PC implementations) that have had radio silence.

I mean, saying Sony is using the same business model as Activision and CoD isn't something I'd necessarily be cherishing.

Could be more like a CD Project Red and update a 2015 game for free for owners.

Or can be like Activision and its yearly CoD Franchise, which sometimes locks Guns into Loot Boxes.

Wonder why people would be concerned.

We can also stop acting like what is an exception is actually the norm when it isn't. 

Nobody seems to care that the Xbox 1 version of COD has no path to upgrade to the Series X version of the game unless you buy the Series X version of the game that gives you access to the XB1 version of the game.

I do on a personal level think it's good business and keeps your titles selling to offer free upgrades in the first place but I don't discount that it's not cheap/free to make the update either so not every dev is going to run out and do it for free. 

Since Insomniac already had to put in the work updating the visuals, add "Ray Tracing", a performance mode, ect all into Miles Morales, how much work is it to go back into essentially the same game, and update it with the same features.  As far as we know, this is essentially the same game, same engine, with a few updated features right, and a new story line?

So they are already recouping that cost of updating the game charging for Miles Morales.  The question becomes, do we ask people that previously supported us and bought Spiderman to pay again for the same updates to their older title, or show appreciation for their support and give them the updates for free, while hoping to possibly spark additional sales of the title for people that never owned it on the PS4 in the first place.

It is unfortunate that there is no upgrade path outside of purchasing the $70 MM edition.

I do have a suspicion though that this may be isolated case.  Not expecting any of the games in the PsPlus Collection to receive upgrades on the same level, but my guess is whatever improvements happen will be free.

No official word on that, but it's hard to imagine otherwise.

Have they outright said there will be no upgrade path yet?  I haven't seen anything saying it'll be available separate, but that doesn't mean it won't be.

I just hope the more recent tiles, like GoT and Last of Us 2 get upgraded.  I was on the fence on buying either because I figured I'd wait for the inevitable PS5 versions.  When I I saw Ubisoft, Microsoft, EA, iD, all talking about free upgrades for Next Gen versions of games, I figured it'd be safe to buy them at launch and expect Sony to follow suit.  Hoping they still offer those updates Free when they do come.  GoT especially with a brand new multiplayer mode, you'd have to assume its definitely getting an update patch for PS5.

36 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Since Insomniac already had to put in the work updating the visuals, add "Ray Tracing", a performance mode, ect all into Miles Morales, how much work is it to go back into essentially the same game, and update it with the same features.  As far as we know, this is essentially the same game, same engine, with a few updated features right, and a new story line?

Potentially a lot.  There are 2 years of engine changes to resolve, plus optimizing for Raytracing specific performance bottlenecks and material rebalancing.  Some of that work will obviously overlap with MM, but not all.

That's not to say the high-cost upgrade path is justified (it's not), just that adding Raytracing retroactively to a game like Spiderman is probably much more involved than flipping a switch.

1 hour ago, JPDunks4 said:

I mean, saying Sony is using the same business model as Activision and CoD isn't something I'd necessarily be cherishing.

Could be more like a CD Project Red and update a 2015 game for free for owners.

CD Projekt Red is deviating from the norm.  Who else will take a 5-year-old single-player game and add raytracing for free?

I imagine adding ray tracing to the game is more than just a few clicks but I’m not a game dev. I have no idea the process to update the game. 

I don’t really expect to be able to play upgraded versions for free. But I do expect to be able to play my ps4 version. 

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Am I wrong in understanding that future 1st party cross generational Sony games WILL have free upgrades from the PS4 to the PS5? So if you buy, Horizon Zero Dawn 2 for PS4 and then get a PS5, you will get a free upgrade? Is that correct?

I don’t believe they have said anything definitive either way on this.

14 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I mean there is a reason there's a game named after him. :p

You used to get Madden and Summerall announcing your games too. Those were the days...

Anyway Sony could have created a ton of goodwill by saying Spiderman Remaster will be free to current owners of the game. It would just generate that much more excitement for the PS5. Instead now they are perceived as being nickle and diming assholes while their competitor has made it to say they will be enhancing their recent first party games for free. 

It's small potatoes but MS has me over to using their consoles as my main gaming console. I know I'll have full BC for free. Recent first party games will be optimized for the XSX for free. Those 4k 1X enhancements on games were free and I enjoyed a few of them. I can bring my current controllers over to the new system. There are a lot of little things MS is doing right that have me more excited for the XSX than the PS5, I just ended up with a PS5 pre order because I'm a sucker for the souls series, and a few of their other first party games. Basically for me the XSX is primary for their games, Games Pass, third party games, and the PS5 is there for their first party games. 

59 minutes ago, johnny said:

I imagine adding ray tracing to the game is more than just a few clicks but I’m not a game dev. I have no idea the process to update the game. 

I don’t really expect to be able to play upgraded versions for free. But I do expect to be able to play my ps4 version. 

Isn't MS adding this stuff to their "optimized for series X" first party games for free?

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t believe they have said anything definitive either way on this.

So this is bullshit?  I'm legit asking... STILL have no idea what Sony's actual plans are :|

Sony hasn’t yet announced a free upgrade commitment quite like Microsoft’s Smart Delivery program, which promises all first-party Xbox One games and a growing list of third-party ones will see a free upgrade to Xbox Series X / S versions. But Sony’s blog post does point out that that the above mentioned cross-gen releases will get free upgrades regardless of whether you have the standard or digital PS5.

Here’s Sony’s full description of the process:

Additionally, we know that the PS4 community will transition to PS5 at different times, and we’re happy to announce PS4 versions of some of our exclusives. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Sackboy A Big Adventure, and Horizon Forbidden West will also launch on PS4. While these three games were designed to take advantage of PS5 and its unique next-gen features like the ultra-high-speed SSD and DualSense controller, PS4 owners will also be able to enjoy these experiences when they launch. The PS4 digital versions of launch games include a free upgrade on both PS5 consoles, while the PS4 disc versions of these games include a free upgrade on the PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive.

That last bit of wording is worth noting: “the PS4 disc versions of these games include a free upgrade on the PS5.” It implies players who own disc versions of, say, Spiderman: Miles Morales for PS4 won’t be able to transition to a PS5 version for free unless they buy the PS5 with the disc drive, suggesting you’ll need to have the PS4 disc inserted to prove your ownership. Safe to say it’s a good idea to buy cross-gen games digitally if you’re unsure which console you plan on eventually picking up.

Update September 16th, 7:43PM ET: Clarified that Sony’s free upgrade policy for PS4 cross-gen games will require you own the PS5 with a disc drive if you own a physical PS4 version of the game.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So this is bullshit?  I'm legit asking... STILL have no idea what Sony's actual plans are :|

This seems straight forward.  If you buy a Disk version of any of those 3 games, you need the PS5 with a disk drive to play the next gen versions.  If you buy the Physical Copy of any of those games and buy a Digital Edition of the PS5, you have to rebuy the next gen version.

Xbox is handling it the same way, there is no way to transfer ownership of a Physical copy to digital.  

Xbox was working on a solution to this but I don't think it ever got finalized.

I think the article gets in to why it’s not clear what will happen beyond these initial titles. Sony has said some PS4 titles will get free upgrades to the PS5 edition. Going back to high school logic class, “some” could mean all or it could be a subset of less all. But it would be strange not to say all across gen titles will get free upgrades from PS4 to PS5 if that were the case.

1 hour ago, Dodger said:

Isn't MS adding this stuff to their "optimized for series X" first party games for free?

Is any MS first party title beyond Minecraft retroactively receiving a Raytracing upgrade?  I know Gears 5 is getting a number of improvements including Screen Space GI, but not Raytracing. 

49 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I think the article gets in to why it’s not clear what will happen beyond these initial titles. Sony has said some PS4 titles will get free upgrades to the PS5 edition. Going back to high school logic class, “some” could mean all or it could be a subset of less all. But it would be strange not to say all across gen titles will get free upgrades from PS4 to PS5 if that were the case.

Hence my confusion... they're being deliberately vague.

51 minutes ago, Duderino said:

Is any MS first party title beyond Minecraft retroactively receiving a Raytracing upgrade?  I know Gears 5 is getting a number of improvements including Screen Space GI, but not Raytracing. 

That's an interesting one.  They've said they have a simplified form of raytraced shadows in the game on all platforms at the moment.

"We have some ray-traced shadows as part of our lighting techniques. In our maps, the shadows that are further away are ray-traced, whereas closer up they're cascaded shadow maps, so they're fully dynamic. That really allows us to have ultimately higher-quality shadows, the ray-traced shadows let us have shadows that get softer as they get farther away, from the shadow techniques," said Rayner.

While Gears 5 doesn't join those doubling down on ray tracing in 2019, Rayner alluded to the beginning of future ambitions. "It's all in the GPU, compute-based, ray-traced shadows. This is earlier work, that works across all platforms, versus requiring you to have bought ray trace-specific GPU hardware. And so this works on the Xbox One, works on the Xbox One S, as well as the PC."

gears-5-launch-29.jpg
WWW.WINDOWSCENTRAL.COM

Delving into the technology powering Gears 5 with The Coalition – and how it elevates the adventure on Xbox and PC.

I think they've alluded to similar things about their GI solution?  All this is already optimized for the current gen.  Probably much less robust than what other devs are doing, even compared to Crysis Remastered, but being a bit scrappy with it is still very smart.

We'll have to see how else Gears 5 is being upgraded, but it sounds as if they already put in most of the work, and will lean in on higher framerates.