Spider-Man PS5 Remaster won't be Free Upgrade for current PS4 owners

JPDunks4

5 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

I mean, saying Sony is using the same business model as Activision and CoD isn't something I'd necessarily be cherishing.

Could be more like a CD Project Red and update a 2015 game for free for owners.

Or can be like Activision and its yearly CoD Franchise, which sometimes locks Guns into Loot Boxes.

Wonder why people would be concerned.

You can earn every gun in CoD by playing though. There’s nothing locked behind a paywall. 

1 minute ago, Dodger said:

I'm not all that into hardware, can raytracing be added to a game that doesn't have it via patch/update or would you have to start from scratch?

Ray tracing can be added to just about any rasterized 3D game (there are even concepts on how to make 2D RT!) but it all comes down to how well the hardware can handle it. There is Hardware RT (currently Nvidia only) and there is software RT (everyone else). There are also many, many different ways and degrees to which RT can be applied to a game. So a game might have "Ray Traced!" as a bullet point on the box and have very little of it in the actual game. Bottom line, Hardware designed to handle ray tracing currently kicks the pants off software using some non RT customized core. 

15 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

You can earn every gun in CoD by playing though. There’s nothing locked behind a paywall. 

This wasn't true on Black Ops 4.  They had guns locked in Loot Boxes, that could be earned by playing but then it was random chance of you actually got the gun.

The new CoD if you pay for packs you can get special attachments on guns that aren't available on normal play I believe but not positive.  Also it allows you to skip progression buy buying good versions of guns you haven't earned yet.  Typically a no no for PvP.

xp9tevibvdbujl0nhncr.png
KOTAKU.COM

There are still a lot of questions surrounding Spider-Man on PlayStation 5. The good news? We have answers. The bad news? Well, the answers themselves.

So if you buy the PS4 version of Miles Morales for $40, you get the PS5 version for free.  You can then buy Spiderman Remastered for $20.  So wouldn't that make sense over buying the $70 Ultimate Edition?

I'll just wait til the price drops on all of it.

15 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:
xp9tevibvdbujl0nhncr.png
KOTAKU.COM

There are still a lot of questions surrounding Spider-Man on PlayStation 5. The good news? We have answers. The bad news? Well, the answers themselves.

So if you buy the PS4 version of Miles Morales for $40, you get the PS5 version for free.  You can then buy Spiderman Remastered for $20.  So wouldn't that make sense over buying the $70 Ultimate Edition?

I'll just wait til the price drops on all of it.

Where did you find it for $40? Amazon has it listed as 49.99 for both PS 4 and 5.

*Unless you buy the current gen version of CoD, NBA2K, an older edition of Control, or are playing a game on Series S without a Series S patch.  At the publisher’s discretion what they will or won’t do at what price.

**Not responsible for ports of Switch versions with paired back assets by Square-Enix.

"PlayStation fans who were “proud” that Sony was concentrating on actual generations by making games specifically for PS5 are now annoyed after Sony revealed that both Miles Morales and Horizon Forbidden West are also coming to PS4."

That's a weird thing to ding as being anti-consumer. A couple months ago, MS supporting the Xbox One in conjunction with the Series X was considered pro-consumer.

3 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

"PlayStation fans who were “proud” that Sony was concentrating on actual generations by making games specifically for PS5 are now annoyed after Sony revealed that both Miles Morales and Horizon Forbidden West are also coming to PS4."

That's a weird thing to ding as being anti-consumer. A couple months ago, MS supporting the Xbox One in conjunction with the Series X was considered pro-consumer.

I think a lot of people get burned by the flip flopping.  MS/Sony tells them what they'll be arguing for on internet forums for months/years, and then they flip the script. :p

Same thing happened when MS started announcing cross-gen maybe's.

4 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

This is the perceived difference

The thing that set this off most recently was Sony and Insomniac detailing the upcoming release of Spider-Man: Miles Morales which can be bundled with a PS5 remaster of the original Spider-Man. But unlike Xbox and its Smart Delivery upgrades, free upgrades of last gen games to next gen, that is not the case with Spider-Man, which does not have a free or even cheap upgrade path for PS5 as part of this bundle. 

MS is supporting current gen games but when you upgrade to next gen, they will upgrade your current gen copy to the next gen version at no cost to you. Sony (and 505 games/ Remedy) aren't doing that. I already own SPiderman for example... but if I want the PS5 version I HAVE to buy the deluxe Miles Morales version essentially rebuying a game I already own. THAT'S what is being considered anti-consumer.... I don't think folks give a shit about cross gen versions. Folks that aren't on D1P that is.

33 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

MS is supporting current gen games but when you upgrade to next gen, they will upgrade your current gen copy to the next gen version at no cost to you. Sony (and 505 games/ Remedy) aren't doing that. I already own SPiderman for example... but if I want the PS5 version I HAVE to buy the deluxe Miles Morales version essentially rebuying a game I already own. THAT'S what is being considered anti-consumer.... I don't think folks give a shit about cross gen versions. Folks that aren't on D1P that is.

Agreed. I'm sure there are some crazies out there that are heartbroken that a PS5 game will also be made available to the scum who haven't acquired a PS5, but for the most part I don't think that's a big deal. Pretty much all the other big AAA currently announced are cross-gen. It shouldn't surprise anyone that Sony's turned out to be as well.

The upgrade thing just feels petty.

I think you miss the bigger point: It isn't about not letting the plebes on PS4 play it, it's about the PS4 hardware necessarily holding it back. The entire point of "supporting generations" was that they wouldn't allow old hardware to hold back new games. And then they did exactly that not even 2 months later. This is all Sony's own narrative, all the reasons they have to sell you a PS5 that can make games in never-before-seen ways fall away when they realize they'd be missing out on an existing userbase of 100+ million people.

These games will not be a showcase of what the PS5 is capable of, at least not in a way that matters. It'll just be the same old same old with shiny new graphics. But Sony's been touting this SSD that'll change it all up, which won't be able to be properly utilized because they have to build these games around the PS4's limitations.

With Spider-Man, that was to be expected, as it's clearly just an expansion pack they gussied up and are for some reason selling for full price. But Horizon being a full-on sequel, on PS5, that could've really shown off stuff we haven't seen before. But now it won't.

Whether that upsets you or not is gonna vary on a case-by-case basis, but it goes directly counter to their own consistent narrative and just means we'll be enjoying lesser games because of it, unless both devs legit had no ideas that could've taken advantage of the new tech, which might even be more disappointing.

36 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I think you miss the bigger point: It isn't about not letting the plebes on PS4 play it, it's about the PS4 hardware necessarily holding it back. The entire point of "supporting generations" was that they wouldn't allow old hardware to hold back new games. And then they did exactly that not even 2 months later. This is all Sony's own narrative, all the reasons they have to sell you a PS5 that can make games in never-before-seen ways fall away when they realize they'd be missing out on an existing userbase of 100+ million people.

These games will not be a showcase of what the PS5 is capable of, at least not in a way that matters. It'll just be the same old same old with shiny new graphics. But Sony's been touting this SSD that'll change it all up, which won't be able to be properly utilized because they have to build these games around the PS4's limitations.

With Spider-Man, that was to be expected, as it's clearly just an expansion pack they gussied up and are for some reason selling for full price. But Horizon being a full-on sequel, on PS5, that could've really shown off stuff we haven't seen before. But now it won't.

Whether that upsets you or not is gonna vary on a case-by-case basis, but it goes directly counter to their own consistent narrative and just means we'll be enjoying lesser games because of it, unless both devs legit had no ideas that could've taken advantage of the new tech, which might even be more disappointing.

I'm generally curious because it's something I thought about, but don't know the answer to.

Both the PS5 and XSX/S have pretty openly stated the biggest difference between last gen to this gen will be the storage solution and I/O speeds along with the other tech associated with that.  Assuming a game like HZD2 and Halo Infinite have been in development for awhile now, is it possible that due to being in development prior to the tech being finalized, that they simply had to design the game's without using the benefits the SSD's provided because they weren't exactly sure how it'd all work because it wasn't done yet from a Hardware perspective.  We've seen Ratchet and Clank using it, but only to the extent that it's a hidden loading screen during an on rails segment which seems easy enough to add in without having to design it too far ahead in level design, ect.

Supposedly PS5's dev kits were out early 2019, which means HZD couldve been in development for a year or two before a dev kit was ready.  XSX/S dev kit was out end of last year supposedly due to waiting on AMDs newest tech features.

Does the new tech in this new gen's consoles revolving around changing the way games will be made from a fundamental level removing loading and much faster I/O, cause developers to be behind utilizing that tech for launch window because the tech behind it was only ready the past year or so, and the games they were working on for launch window started before that tech was ready?

UE5's timeline probably sheds some light there.  They're not even going to have that ready for developers to preview until next year.  But they did have enough time to demo what they did earlier this year.

Ratchet is doing what I'd expect a launch 'window' showpiece to do.  Take advantage of the hardware to do obvious things that put it a generation ahead, but not so much that it seems like they've mastered the hardware.