Final Fantasy XVI – Information Thread, update: PC version in "final stages of optimization', pre-release demo planned

Pikachu

19 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I actually don't play a lot of games outside of my PC. When I play on console, it's because there isn't another option. I don't consider PC a valid option for FF16 at this time. GOWR had a targeted 60FPS mode and I think that was the newest AAA game I played on console. IIRC, RE4's Frate mode was solid as well on console.

I prefer pc too but mainly because I will always "own" the content in my steam library and if I want to play 15 years from now I can without needing to repurchase or dig up some old hardware. PC games are  cheaper too. The extra fps & better graphics is an added bonus.

The only games I wont ever buy on console are shooters because fuck them sticks.

It's a bummer that you feel that way because you are missing out on some gems.

36 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

It's a bummer that you feel that way because you are missing out on some gems.

Eh, I haven't missed anything really. I'm honestly not interested in most modern games I only got two games on my PS5, DeS remake and GOWR. A remake and a sequel. I talk a lot about wanting new games, but I guess I should change that to "make new games that I want" lol. Oh, and I have replayed Mass Effect on the PS5. So 3 remasters, 1 remake, and a cross-gen sequel.

Haven't even played that many AAA games on PC either now that I think about it. Going all the way back to Sekiro, the only AAA games I have played at launch on PC since Sekiro are: CP2077, DOOM Eternal (10/10 btw), Elden Ring, RE2, and RE4. I did play MHW for the first time in 2020 and I bought Tales of Arise a while back but haven't played it. If you count expansions as new games then Endwalker is in that list as well.

It's part of the reason why I am so, uh, passionate, about games that I want to be good. I rarely hold out hope. I'd rather be a negative Nancy expecting the worst than be hopeful that the game is amazing. The more negative I am before a game comes out the more likely I am to feel positive toward a game when it releases even if everything I said turned out to be true.

3 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Now people on twitter are going after him on twitter saying he was basing it off Pax footage and not from his own eyes he saw it with at the event. :silly:

Well, that was a "fun" read. It is good to see how the comments under his responses are, well, not that dumb shit lol. You guys really don't need to defend SE even IF Max did get it wrong. It's like they just ignored that he played parts of the game.

And for those saying you won't be able to notice, unless you are blind as a bat this will be 100% noticeable. Even @best3444 who can't see frame rate correctly would be able to tell.

One of the most jarring things for me is when you play a game, like Destiny, and the game runs 4k 60fps and above then you get to a cut scene and it's runs at like 720p 30fps, it just sucks you out of the game. Now imagine that but every battle you get into, which is more frequent than a cut scene. SE goofed and this will be their Redfall.

I'm sorry Gary that you got bamboozled into getting a PS5 for this game instead of waiting for the unannounced PC version.

• True 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Final Fantasy XVI (22 June 2023) – Information Thread, update: "Salvation" launch trailer
Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

But do you trust everyone or do you trust me? 🫂

I trust whichever side is currently more aligned with my opinion. In this case, I was already positive about the voice acting from trailers past, so I pick the everyone side.

rejected vince mcmahon GIF by WWE

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Saved yourself from hearing the very iffy voice acting.

There is nothing wrong with the voice acting we’ve seen so far.

frankly, this game looks better every time I see it. I only wish they had dropped the promised demo.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want to make that other thread the official thread so I'm posting this here.

FF16 Boss battle gameplay featuring a boss named Liquid Flame. It's not quite Living Liquid. I'll put the video in spoilers so you don't have to see it. If you played FF14 you notice a similar pattern.

Spoiler

Man, that is some major particle vomit. And that precision dodge mechanic/animation that happens every time will get annoying very quickly. Can't say I like fire hurting fire either. Fight overall reminds more of, well, not DMC from what little I have seen of DMC5. Maybe more like KH or GoW+GoWR. I mean, sure, that kind of makes it like DMC, but I really feel more like I'm watching an anime version of GoWR than DMC. Which, again, sounds like DMC but whatever. Or like Code Vein but with more jumping.

44 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Man, that is some major particle vomit. And that precision dodge mechanic/animation that happens every time will get annoying very quickly. Can't say I like fire hurting fire either. Fight overall reminds more of, well, not DMC from what little I have seen of DMC5. Maybe more like KH or GoW+GoWR. I mean, sure, that kind of makes it like DMC, but I really feel more like I'm watching an anime version of GoWR than DMC. Which, again, sounds like DMC but whatever. Or like Code Vein but with more jumping.

If I have a complaint/worry, it's that enemies seem a bit spongy. If it's a full on action game battles shouldn't be lasting 6-7 minutes. Other than that everything I've seen looks fantastic.

• Halal 1

7 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

If I have a complaint/worry, it's that enemies seem a bit spongy. If it's a full on action game battles shouldn't be lasting 6-7 minutes. Other than that everything I've seen looks fantastic.

It's because ever since FFXV when they switched to active battles, they keep the other systems the same. So you're hacking away like an action game, where an enemy should have some hit stun, react and go down fairly easily but the game is like a Final Fantasy game that you mash on the enemy that has no reaction and soaks up the damage till you deplete some huge life bar.

7 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's because ever since FFXV when they switched to active battles, they keep the other systems the same. So you're hacking away like an action game, where an enemy should have some hit stun, react and go down fairly easily but the game is like a Final Fantasy game that you mash on the enemy that has no reaction and soaks up the damage till you deplete some huge life bar.

Yeah I know about stagger, it works fine in FF13, & 7 Remake (Xenoblade 2 had a similar system aslo), but it works in those games because they aren't pure action games,. They don't require you to be on your toes and have nearly perfect reactions for such an extended period of time. DMC3 is probably my favorite action game and boss battles are like 3 minutes max and almost every action game I can think of falls relatively in line with that. Maybe it works great, all the previews have been gushing about it, so I'm still hyped until I have a reason not to be.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Final Fantasy XVI (22 June 2023) – Information Thread, update: 18 minutes of dungeon-crawling gameplay (IGN)

Having played most of the FFs at this point, I am happy with the choice of a singular protagonist. I feel video game stories are best when the focus is mostly on one character. I mean, this is the most common thing in gaming, but FF has a split focus on the party members often enough that I can say it isn't what I prefer.

• True 1

final-fantasy-xvi-394x218.png
TWISTEDVOXEL.COM

The previously announced playable demo for Square Enix's upcoming action role-playing game, Final Fantasy XVI, will be available to download later today, depending on your timezone. According to a Spanish TV spot for Final Fantasy XVI, the previously announced playable demo for the game will be available for download later today during or towards the end of the pre-launch event. The TV

The previously announced playable demo for Square Enix’s upcoming action role-playing game, Final Fantasy XVI, will be available to download later today, depending on your timezone.

According to a Spanish TV spot for Final Fantasy XVI, the previously announced playable demo for the game will be available for download later today during or towards the end of the pre-launch event.

The TV spot was likely set to air after the pre-launch event, and ended up getting aired earlier in error. In the ad, it is mentioned that the demo for Final Fantasy XVI is available to play exclusively on the PlayStation 5.

Fans can tune in to the Final Fantasy XVI Pre-Launch Celebration Livestream later today on June 11th, starting at 4pm PT / 7pm ET. The event can be streamed via Square Enix’s Twitch or YouTube channel, where the producer, Yoshi-P, will deliver a special keynote to kick things off. The festivities will span a total duration of around 4 hours and 45 minutes.

• Halal 2

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Final Fantasy XVI (22 June 2023) – Information Thread, update: demo available after today's pre-launch event @ 1600 Pacific/1900 Eastern