Chuck Schumer comes out in favor of decriminalizing marijuana (AKA: full Democratic control means this will be a reality)

People are already jumping down his throat for decriminalization being half-assed bullshit when he presumably means taking it off the schedule of controlled substances, like in this bill. https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/bill-decriminalize-marijuana-federal-level-house-vote-month/story?id=72714766

Federal decriminalization means automatically legalizing it in states that have made it legal and considering we still have dry counties we were never getting the feds forcing it to be legal everywhere. 

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

2/3 of the country is for full on legalization but the best we can do is decrim just lol

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

2/3 of the country is for full on legalization but the best we can do is decrim just lol

lol literally while I was typing 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

People are already jumping down his throat for decriminalization being half-assed bullshit when he presumably means taking it off the schedule of controlled substances, like in this bill. 

nadler-more-act-file-gty-jef-200830_1598
ABCNEWS.GO.COM

A landmark bill that would decriminalize marijuana use at the federal level is up for vote soon.

Federal decriminalization means automatically legalizing it in states that have made it legal and considering we still have dry counties we were never getting the feds forcing it to be legal everywhere. 

He clarifies what he meant

Wish you folks the best of luck for it. I’m just starting to harvest a grow (slowly) now. The best part is I have a freeze dryer and smoke my just cut grow the next day all dried and cure. Plus is barely shrinks from its cut down size

my LSD strain going into dry

spacer.png

16 hours later coming out dried

spacer.png

up close with my digital microscope

spacer.png

• Shocked 1

It wholly irrelevant unless he can whip the caucus (and Joe biden) into doing away with the filibuster (and not vetoing the bill)

This might be the closest thing to legalization and I only see maybe five republicans, tops, who could consider such a bill: Mike Lee, Paul, Mitch (kentucky has a big help industry), and uh....who knows. Might not be much more than that. Maybe cornyn should he win. That's about it though.

Would manchin vote for it? Who knows!

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It wholly irrelevant unless he can whip the caucus (and Joe biden) into doing away with the filibuster (and not vetoing the bill)

This might be the closest thing to legalization and I only see maybe five republicans, tops, who could consider such a bill: Mike Lee, Paul, Mitch (kentucky has a big help industry), and uh....who knows. Might not be much more than that. Maybe cornyn should he win. That's about it though.

WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTAND ABOUT DESCHEDULING IT BEING LEGALIZING IT

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

roughly, how many republican states have legalized marijuana? You would think the senators of those states would vote yes with democrats. Plus your VP is all for it and might persuade Joe to move green 

Just now, Jason said:

WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE NOT UNDERSTAND ABOUT DESCHEDULING IT BEING LEGALIZING IT

Descheduling either requires the president/administration to do so, or have congress pass a bill, signed by said president, to remove it from the list of controlled substances.

What Schumer is talking about here, and whatever congress does, is subject to congressional rules like the filibuster. I just don't see a Biden administration unilaterally descheduling!

1 minute ago, silentbob said:

roughly, how many republican states have legalized marijuana? You would think the senators of those states would vote yes with democrats. Plus your VP is all for it and might persuade Joe to move green 

Alaska, Maine (should Susan win,ugh), colorado (gardner won't win lol), and that's it for states with legal weed and republican senators

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Descheduling either requires the president/administration to do so, or have congress pass a bill, signed by said president, to remove it from the list of controlled substances.

What Schumer is talking about here, and whatever congress does, is subject to congressional rules like the filibuster. I just don't see a Biden administration unilaterally descheduling!

And full blown legalization, which you're convinced is different, doesn't have this problem? 

• Like 1

Just now, Jason said:

And full blown legalization doesn't have this problem? 

It would that's why even if they were for it, it would be just as uphill a battle

Congressional action won't happen (big fat maybe if the filibuster is gone, which is a longer shot than legalization) and Biden won't deschedule, he won't! He's only calling for rescheduling the drug, not descheduling! 

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It would that's why even if they were for it, it would be just as uphill a battle

Congressional action won't happen (big fat maybe if the filibuster is gone, which is a longer shot than legalization) and Biden won't deschedule, he won't! He's only calling for rescheduling the drug, not descheduling! 

Where did he say it's rescheduling and not descheduling? 

Just now, Zaku3 said:

I think his point is you might as well go all out since the effort required to pass this is probably equal to or slightly greater then full blown legalization.

And my point is what the fuck is the difference between descheduling and legalization? 

It’s going to be fascinating to see how Democrats handle Biden if he is really going to oppose the MORE Act which the House is about to pass which deschedules cannabis and opposes a senate effort to deschedule. Let’s not forget that Kamala is for descheduling it as well and is the Senate sponsor for the MORE Act! 

Biden only supports making it schedule 2 and then leaving states alone. This would be problematic because it doesn’t allow the FDA to regulate the stuff nor would it allow interstate commerce between states. It’s time for full descheduling. 

If you wanted to force legalization nationwide, they could blackmail states with Federal dollars if they don’t legalize it. That won’t happen though so just deschedule. Get on board Biden!

8 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

It’s going to be fascinating to see how Democrats handle Biden if he is really going to oppose the MORE Act which the House is about to pass which deschedules cannabis and opposes a senate effort to deschedule. Let’s not forget that Kamala is for descheduling it as well and is the Senate sponsor for the MORE Act! 

Biden only supports making it schedule 2 and then leaving states alone. This would be problematic because it doesn’t allow the FDA to regulate the stuff nor would it allow interstate commerce between states. It’s time for full descheduling. 

If you wanted to force legalization nationwide, they could blackmail states with Federal dollars if they don’t legalize it. That won’t happen though so just deschedule. Get on board Biden!

Well you see that would be unlawful coercion per nfib v sebelius :silly:

On 9/14/2020 at 5:21 PM, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

https://joebiden.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/UNITY-TASK-FORCE-RECOMMENDATIONS.pdf

Democrats will decriminalize marijuana use and reschedule it 
through executive action on the federal level. 

kamala%2520harris%2520biden%2520administ
WWW.TEENVOGUE.COM

Both Biden and Harris have changed stances on marijuana policy during their career.

“Under a Biden-Harris administration, we will decriminalize the use of marijuana and automatically expunge all marijuana-use convictions, and end incarceration for drug use alone,” Harris said. “This is no time … for half-steppin’, this is no time for incrementalism. We need to deal with the system, and there needs to be significant change in the design of the system.”

Either she's fucking lying given that schedule II is still super illegal (e.g. cocaine) and she fucking knows that or dear fucking god do Joe and her need to get their messaging coordinated.

36 minutes ago, Jason said:

Either she's fucking lying given that schedule II is still super illegal (e.g. cocaine) and she fucking knows that or dear fucking god do Joe and her need to get their messaging coordinated.

My guess is the latter