Death on the Nile trailer (October 23 in cinemas maybe)

I love, love, love this book. While I figured it out long before the resolution (I'm usually not good at that, so this holds a special place for me being able to figure out whodunit), it was a riveting read. It's one of the longest Poirot stories, maybe the longest, and it takes around 200 pages for the murder to happen. Yet everything prior to the murder was a lovely read. I heard mixed things about Murder on the Orient Express, so I never got around to watching it. Hope this is good.

I'm a huge fan of the book so I'll eventually catch it on Prime or whatever, I think it looks okay overall? Something I really dislike in the trailer are those really fake looking...I actually don't know what to call it...CGI shots I guess? Many shots of actors looking like they inhabit a really disparate space and overall 'look' than the backgrounds? It looked really weird to me. 

8 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

I don't really like Branaugh as Poirot compared to David Suchet or Albert Finney from the 70s Orient Express. I'll see this, though. It's one of the better Poirot books that I've read. I've probably read seven or eight of them.

I don't remember loving Albert Finney's. I think David Suchet's is just so perfect that none have compared. An amiable voice and unintimidating look, just as we read in the books, with that accent, all of which keep others' guards down as they don't realize he's freakishly intelligent and observant.

Death on the Nile is damned good. I'm a big Christie fan, loved And Then There Were None, but the Poirot books and his relationship with Hastings have always been the most special to me. Which books have you read? Because I highly recommend to anyone:

The ABC Murders (this one especially, great theme where someone who hates Poirot lets him know of an 'A' murder coming up, and someone whose name begins with an A in an area that begins with an A is murdered, and it goes down the line)

Murder on the Orient Express

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (I think this is the one that really put Poirot on the map)

Lord Edgware Dies

Death on the Nile

Hercule Poirot's Christmas

Curtain: Poirot's Final Case

I have a couple extra I just bought (Three Act Tragedy, The Mystery of the Blue Train), and there are some other good ones that I just wouldn't put on the same level (Death in the Clouds, Cards on the Table, Peril at End House).

I'd recommend anyone who wants to read Poirot to not start with the later books. Her later books are not as good or even that good besides Curtain, and that one is good because it was written decades earlier during WWII when Agatha Christie wasn't even sure if she was going to live through the war. If she wrote it late in life, I doubt it'd have been as compelling a story.

• Thanks 1

On 8/20/2020 at 6:58 AM, SaysWho? said:

Which books have you read?

This is top of my head, so I might be forgetting some, but,

Mysterious Affair at Styles - good

Murder on the Orient Express - good

Murder of Roger Ackroyd - very good

Death on the Nile - good

ABC Murders -- pretty good

Sad Cypress -- kinda forgettable, don't remember it too well

Peril at End House -- pretty good

Halloween Party -- not very good, and extremely weird, because it's one of her last ones and it takes place in like the late 60s. Doesn't feel like a Poirot story really

7 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

This is top of my head, so I might be forgetting some, but,

Mysterious Affair at Styles - good

Murder on the Orient Express - good

Murder of Roger Ackroyd - very good

Death on the Nile - good

ABC Murders -- pretty good

Sad Cypress -- kinda forgettable, don't remember it too well

Peril at End House -- pretty good

Halloween Party -- not very good, and extremely weird, because it's one of her last ones and it takes place in like the late 60s. Doesn't feel like a Poirot story really

I read that book in 9th grade thinking all Poirot books have to be good, but those late career ones can be surprisingly boring. =\

Even something like Five Little Pigs. I read that even though she wrote it in the 1940s, it was one of her better books post-Death on the Nile. But I wasn't able to get into it as much as I tried.

For the others, Mysterious Affair at Styles is a good introduction to everything and the Poirot-Hastings relationship, but it really is just a sign of things to come. I thought the story that followed it, Murder on the Links, was unmemorable and incredibly boring. Don't waste your time unless you're a completionist. My other recommendations are good if you liked the ones you mentioned: Lord Edgware dies is a lot of fun, and Hercule Poirot's Christmas was surprisingly intriguing (I didn't expect to like it to the extent I did since I hadn't heard as much about it as ones like Death on the Nile). And Curtain is a terrific ending.

• 1 year later...

Saw it tonight and I enjoyed it a lot. But classic murder mystery is easily my favorite genre so I’m biased. I think I liked Orient better. All the characters had more to do and were connected better. Death on the Nile felt like there’s probably a cut of the film that’s about 45 min longer and much better somewhere. Which isn’t to say it’s bad. Quite the opposite. But a lot of the side characters didn’t get enough development for you to really consider them as suspects. 

I also really liked how this one was more of Poroits story. 

28 minutes ago, Brick said:

Is this a reference to a joke I don't get?

The line “enough champagne to fill the Nile” has become a meme ever since the trailer debuted, because Gadot’s delivery is kinda bad. Apparently a theater erupted in cheers once that line came up.

Screen_Shot_2022-02-11_at_2.06.52_PM.jpg
KNOWYOURMEME.COM

Enough Champagne to Fill the Nile is a quote said by actor Gal Gadot in the 20th Century Studios film Death On The Nile, released on February 11th...

2 hours ago, Komusha said:

It definitely stood out to me in the trailer.

to be fair, in the scene where she says it, her character her is actually very upset and just trying to put on a happy face so her coming off as phony is what's called for. Is she a great actress? not especially (and we know she can't sing worth a damn) but she's hardly horrible.