Nintendo reports wild 428% surge in profits due to COVID video game boom, Animal Crossing surpasses SSB Ultimate

SaysWho?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/06/nintendo-q1-earnings-profits-surge-428percent-animal-crossing-sales-double.html

• Nintendo reported operating profit of 144.7 billion yen ($1.4 billion) in the April-June quarter, smashing analyst expectations.
  • Sales of the company’s popular Nintendo Switch and Switch Lite consoles grew around 167% to 5.68 million units in the quarter.
  • The firm has now sold 22.4 million copies of “Animal Crossing: New Horizons,” surpassing sales of “Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.”

13 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

I wonder if the next Nintendo console will be part of their current trend of failure-success (Gamecube - Wii, Wii U - Switch) or will the changes in the company mean they remain in a good position going forward.

It's funny, I was wondering that the other day. It'll be interesting under leadership of the new president they have. And also that Nintendo doesn't have a dedicated handheld the support their console. Wonder if they'll do the "hybrid" thing again next gen. 

Also, was GCN really a failure? I mean sure, it was their least-selling console at the time, but it sold nearly as much as Xbox and let's face it nothing was beating PS2. 

I don’t feel like we’ll get a true “new” system from Nintendo. The Switch feels like the culmination of everything they were working towards since “dropping out” of the console wars. I think from here on out we’ll just get uodated and better versions of the Switch. 

2 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

I don’t feel like we’ll get a true “new” system from Nintendo. The Switch feels like the culmination of everything they were working towards since “dropping out” of the console wars. I think from here on out we’ll just get uodated and better versions of the Switch. 

Seeing how the Lite can’t even Switch, I doubt there is a Switch 2. I do think this handheld console hybrid trend will continue for Nintendo, but in a different form factor. 

1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Seeing how the Lite can’t even Switch, I doubt there is a Switch 2. I do think this handheld console hybrid trend will continue for Nintendo, but in a different form factor. 

I think we'll just continue to see updates to the Switch, with one being dockable, the other handheld-only.

9 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

This reads 

“Because of this reason there won’t be a switch 2”

”but also Im pretty sure we’re going to get an evolved form of the switch”

Just now, Mercury33 said:

This reads 

“Because of this reason there won’t be a switch 2”

”but also Im pretty sure we’re going to get an evolved form of the switch”

Yes. No Switch 2 but a hybrid console form factor will continue 

22 hours ago, GameDadGrant said:

It's funny, I was wondering that the other day. It'll be interesting under leadership of the new president they have. And also that Nintendo doesn't have a dedicated handheld the support their console. Wonder if they'll do the "hybrid" thing again next gen. 

Also, was GCN really a failure? I mean sure, it was their least-selling console at the time, but it sold nearly as much as Xbox and let's face it nothing was beating PS2. 

Wasn't the 3DS the first time they ever sold hardware at a loss? Look at how stingy they were with Nintendo and SNES Classic production, seemingly over fear of being left holding unsold units--they clearly care more about staying in the black than absolute profit maximization and it's not like they were losing money on the GCN, much easier to ride out a lackluster generation when you're selling each hardware unit for a (tiny) profit. Doubly so when you still have your handhelds printing money for you.

@Jason

Yeah, it was either 3DS or Wii U that they sold at a loss. I think the Wii U sold at a loss right from the start (apparently the Gamepad and it’s connectivity tech wasn’t cheap). But after the 3DS’s price cut maybe that was selling at a loss too? I honestly can’t remember and I’m too lazy to fact-check that right now, LOL.

But yeah, Nintendo definitely watches their 

bottom line more than nearly any other company out there!