Mafia: Definitive Edition (25 September 2020) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

SimpleG

11 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Mafia 2 was an Xbox 360 game.

Unless I don't know what you're talking about. Mafia 3?

Mafia 3 “Remastered” and how it runs and looks worse than the OG on a Pro or X is the discussion of which I was replying to on the previous page, yes.

Mafia 2 is arguably “remastered” - I’m half-jokingly questioning how a current gen game, Mafia 3, can even really be remastered anyway. :p 

48 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Mafia 3 “Remastered” and how it runs and looks worse than the OG on a Pro or X is the discussion of which I was replying to on the previous page, yes.

Mafia 2 is arguably “remastered” - I’m half-jokingly questioning how a current gen game, Mafia 3, can even really be remastered anyway. :p 

Mafia 2 and 3 are just a definitive edition and are named as such. The only one that claims to be remastered is the second game. This is from the website.

15 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Mafia 2 and 3 are just a definitive edition and are named as such. The only one that claims to be remastered is the second game. This is from the website.

Huh. Stuff like this is why I’m confused then: https://www.polygon.com/2020/5/19/21263772/mafia-2-mafia-3-remaster-surprise-release-xbox-ps4-pc-steam

The descriptions do say “remastered” 

See that's why I was confused :p 

Here's the Mafia 3 website: https://mafiagame.com/news/mafia-iii-definitive-edition-out-now

Mafia III: Definitive Edition benefits from a number of extras that were added after the original game's launch, including support for 4K resolution and HDR support on PlayStation®4 Pro and Xbox One X consoles that brings out the sunbaked beauty of New Bordeaux.

And the Mafia 2 website: https://mafiagame.com/news/mafia-ii-definitive-edition-out-now

Mafia II: Definitive Edition is a visually upgraded remaster of the game first released in 2010

For the first time ever, Mafia II: Definitive Edition packs the entire Mafia II crime drama into one stunning HD package. HDR and 4K resolution are supported on PC as well as on PlayStation®4 Pro and Xbox One X consoles. Mafia II: Definitive Edition also benefits from improved facial animations to give cutscenes an even more cinematic feel. While technological and graphical improvements have given Empire Bay and its inhabitants a visual overhaul, Vito's timeless story is unchanged.

Basically Mafia 3 is the same but they give you all the DLC. Mafia 2 is slightly better looking but looks kinda shitty in the comparison video. :p 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Inside the Mafia: Definitive Edition Remake: How Hangar 13 is Rebuilding It From the Ground Up (USgamer)

The concept for what would become Mafia: Definitive Edition came a few months after Hangar 13 had finished work on Mafia 3's DLC. "The idea of the Definitive Edition came up probably about six months after we wrapped Mafia 3, maybe a little bit longer than that," explains Hangar 13 president and chief creative officer Haden Blackman. "It was probably three months after our last DLC was done that we started talking about it in earnest, but that was a really small team for a long time. It's only been in the last year, year and a half, that we've been really working on it with a full production team, because we wanted to make sure we had everything laid out correctly."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mafia: Definitive Edition – why “it’s going to draw you in” (PCGamesN interview with Hangar 13)

To find out more about how and why the remake came to be, how Hangar 13 is striking the balance between the old and the new, and why Tommy Angelo’s journey from happy-go-lucky cab driver to a made man who’s kind of in over his head is worth revisiting, we spoke to Devin Hitch, lead producer at Hangar 13.

Mafia: Definitive Edition is shaping up to be a stunning remake of a game thought lost to time (GamesRadar+)

The original Mafia was developed in tandem with Grand Theft Auto 3, at a time when open world games weren't prolific. There were no established rules to follow, and just as Rockstar North set about reinventing how we play games so too did Hangar 13, but with a focus unique to this team. With Mafia, the aim was to tell a cinematic story within a large open city, with the player free to explore but never distracted by a GTA-style sandbox. This was a game that wanted to steer you down its own bloody paths.

"It set a new standard for cinematic storytelling at the time. It made quite a statement about the kinds of stories that can be told in games," says Alex Cox, game director at Hangar 13. The 1930s prohibition-era city was a backdrop to an engaging filmic flow as we followed the rise and fall of Thomas 'Tommy' Angelo from taxi driver to mobster. The open world setting was "an advanced roleplaying feature," says Cox.

• 1 month later...

Mafia: Definitive Edition Hands-On Preview: Making the Old Feel New Again (IGN)

The story is arguably the biggest reason why Mafia is remembered fondly, and a fresh run through the first half-dozen chapters of the game left me with little doubt that it will hold up in 2020. Tommy’s story of unwittingly becoming a driver and later full-fledged member of the Salieri crime family is told in flashback chapters, with the action eventually catching up to Tommy the narrator. This clever tool allows the game to move forward at a brisk pace, with little of the busywork and minutiae that bogs down so many open-world games. That’s important to know about Mafia 1; even though it’s set in an open-world, it’s really a fairly linear narrative-driven game. And I mean that as a compliment. You’ll want to see Tommy’s story through to the end; the payoff is well worth it, I assure you.

The first Mafia remains my favorite after three games and almost 20 years, so I’m thrilled to see it come back around and still be so much fun to play. The remake is very technically impressive, and the story has aged well. So far so good, Tommy.

Mafia: Definitive Edition Cleans Up and Spit-Shines a Muddy Past (USgamer)

What's interesting is what hasn't changed. Mafia: Definitive Edition is still Mafia. It hasn't moved toward a more open-world style of play, with a smooth transition between running around the city and doing a mission. Instead, it's still largely mission-based, with the Freeride mode being the only real way you can putter around Lost Heaven. (Freeride was not enabled in the demo.)

Hangar 13 didn't add any new open-world tasks or interiors, from what I can gather. This is a prettier, more accessible version of the original Mafia.

And perhaps that's all it needs to be. It's a faithful revision of a classic title not many have played. In retaining a mode similar to how the original played, it's a game that's allowing folks to see Mafia as it once was, and if they'd like, have the opportunity to turn it up a notch as well. When you're ready, you can watch that speed limit, try not to wreck that jalopy, and do your best to prevent Tommy from getting killed.

Mafia: Definitive Edition Hands-On Preview (Rocket Chainsaw)

With the preview build overing the first five or so missions of the game, I was able to engage with just a good number of the controls that you can expect from the full game. Driving didn’t necessarily feel amazing, with the physics of the cars in the game feeling overly twitchy to slight movements left and right, but it wasn’t terrible either. Combat felt a bit better, with the more responsive gunplay specifically feeling like an improvement when compared to Mafia II: Definitive Edition. General movement felt great as well, with it feeling responsive and completely lacking in an sluggishness.

In the grand scheme of things, a few hours can only tell you so much about a game, but the first few hours of Mafia: Definitive Edition I got to play as part of this preview definitely have me interested in playing more of the game. It’s clear that there’s a sizeable upgrade on the original experience here and I can’t wait to see how that shakes out across the rest of the game. If you’re a fan of open worlds or crime games, I’d suggest keeping an eye on this as we move closer to release.

Mafia Definitive Edition’s name doesn’t do this impressive remake justice (VG 24/7)

After playing the opening hours of Mafia Definitive Edition, one thing is now totally clear: this is a tightly-constructed, brilliant reimagining of the original Mafia. This is where the name of the game comes into question, though: the changes mean many fans will likely still prefer the original version, making this very much not a definitive edition. As an alternative take, a remake, something that exists alongside the original, however, it’s perfect.

If you missed the original Mafia or even enjoyed it back then but would likely bounce off it due to its eccentricities, this provides that story in a more modern package more in line with the latter two games in the series.

I honestly can’t wait to play more in the final release. There’s something special about Mafia’s more directed take on the open-world crime game. This is a game that could easily be a linear experience with its mission structure – but instead it’s set in a great big, charming open world. It stands apart, and this remake seems to understand what makes the series special. It’s a shame that this name seems to fundamentally under-represent what a huge effort this project clearly is.

Mafia: Definitive Edition Doesn’t Just Have Better Graphics, It Also Deepens The Story (Gamespot)

This hands-on was an interesting look into the revitalization of a classic game for the modern era. After my sessions, I immediately went to YouTube to compare gameplay between the two. There seems to be a lot more thought placed in the presentation for the story's key moments, such as Tommy's escape from gangsters in the second mission. I do have some concerns about whether the game will overstay its welcome in the long run by advancing its gameplay all that much, but I can't deny that I was captivated by how cool it was to see Lost Heaven remade anew. Even with the knowledge of these characters' ultimate fate, there's still an element of unpredictability given how much has been revised with the plot, and I'm excited to see how some of the other new additions will have this remake tie even closer to its sequels.

• 2 weeks later...

Game Information

Game Title: Mafia: Definitive Edition

Platforms:

• PC (Sep 25, 2020)
  • Xbox One (Sep 25, 2020)
  • PlayStation 4 (Sep 25, 2020)

Developer: Hangar 13

Publisher: 2K Games

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 80 average - 93% recommended

Critic Reviews

PowerUp! - 9.7 / 10

When it's all said and done, Mafia: Definitive Edition earns its name. It's the definitive Mafia videogame

SECTOR.sk - Slovak - 9.5 / 10

Gorgeous remake and feturn of classic Mafia game in great form. Do not be afraid, join a Gang.

Destructoid - 9 / 10

All this time, the first Mafia was the best of the trio. It just took a phenomenal effort from Hangar 13 to do it justice with Mafia: Definitive Edition. This feels like the rare necessary remake that elevates and builds upon the original. It's truly an offer you can't refuse.

Digitally Downloaded - 4.5 / 5 stars

Hangar 13 have done an amazing job in modernising Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven into a truly powerful narrative experience, one which I hope that fans of the original will be pleasantly surprised by.

GameWatcher - 9 / 10

A real remake that thoroughly updates an 18-year-old title into a proper next-gen game, and actually makes it better than the original.

Windows Central - 4.5 / 5 stars

Powerful characters, nuanced story-telling, and stunning visuals make Mafia: Definitive Edition one of the best story-driven games of the year.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 85 / 100

This Definitive Edition is a perfect example of what every remake should be. It keeps the original storyline, great characters and style, but improves every technical aspect, adds new gameplay mechanics (such as hand to hand combat or motorbikes) and deepens the story. It still feels like a Martin Scorsese movie.

Sirus Gaming - 8.5 / 10

For series veterans and first-timers, Mafia: Definitive Edition is a labor of love for more than just the original game, but for the Mafia community whose support made this game possible. Series veterans will also take note of the changes in the story. The changes aren’t groundbreaking by any stretch of the imagination, just the framing of some story elements have been changed to make the story more in line with the current series of games. This is yet another amazing remake that fully embraces many of the things that made the original so special to so many people.

Stevivor - 8.5 / 10

It presents as a modern game but retains the essence of an old one, and it’s that combination that well and truly entrenches the original Mafia, now reborn, as the best in the series.

WellPlayed - 8.5 / 10

This from-the-ground-up remake takes a certified classic and makes it even better with a thoughtful modern update that absolutely nails the storytelling and atmosphere of great mafia fiction

AusGamers - 8.2 / 10

Underneath the beauty, there’s a morality tale that slowly unfolds amid the sometimes overblown spectacle. An element that was present in the original but feels more prevalent and potent here. The ending backs an even bigger gut punch this time around.

DualShockers - 8 / 10

Mafia: Definitive Edition shows the true potential of this long-running series making it the franchise's new high-point.

Filmweb - Polish - 8 / 10 stars

Mafia: Definitive Edition stays faithful to the original game's plot points while improving greatly on character development.

GameMAG - Russian - 8 / 10

We have a solid remake, that simultaneously stays true to the original game, but also gives it a fresh coat of paint. Some much-needed changes are made to both the narrative and the gameplay, even if not all of them will sit right with the core fans. Mafia: Definitive Edition is a great way to experience one of the best games in it's genre in a completely new light.

GamingBolt - 8 / 10

Mafia: Definitive Edition's narrative and visual strengths help it overcome issues in other areas to deliver a worthy remake of the best game in the series.

IGN - 8 / 10

Oozing with 1930s atmosphere, Mafia: Definitive Edition is a successful rejuvenation of the best story in the series.

Kakuchopurei - 80 / 100

The Mafia remake makes the original 2002 title obsolete by improving and upgrading everything, which is the whole point. Archaic gameplay, tropes, and controls are refurbished to make the new game and its cast all the better while preserving the core of Tommy’s rise and subsequent fall in the game’s thrilling narrative.

PCGamesN - 8 / 10

With a gorgeous graphical overhaul and smoother gameplay, Hangar 13 delivers what a remake should. Just don't expect as much content as a modern open-world game.

PlayStation Universe - 8 / 10

Mafia: Definitive Edition is the best Mafia to date. With an amazing story and gorgeous visuals, Hanger 13 have done a great job at remaking a cult classic. Though it still suffers from sub-par shooting mechanics the overall package is more than worth the asking price.

Press Start - 8 / 10

Hangar 13's remake of Mafia is great. The story is as interesting as ever, and only minor technical issues take away from what is otherwise a welcome reintroduction to Tommy Angelo and the Salieri crew.

PC Gamer - 79 / 100

A decent, if unremarkable, cover shooter, elevated by artful scene-setting and memorable set-pieces.

Spaziogames - Italian - 7.8 / 10

Mafia Definitive Edition is an ambitious undertaking, partially mined by glitches and lack of game progress from Mafia III but faithfully remaking the original game and adding nuances that surprisingly keep staying loyal to 2002's masterpiece.

MondoXbox - Italian - 7.5 / 10

Mafia: Definitive Edition is a two-sided coin. On one side we find stunning graphics and a great plot that still manages to captivate us after 18 years, while on the other side we find some meaningful shortcomings that could have been avoided re-designing some aspects of the original game. Despite this, it's still a suggested buy both for people who loved the original game and for the ones that never played it.

Gameblog - French - 7 / 10

Especially if you know and love the original game, Mafia Definitive Edition is pure joy. We follow the adventures of Tommy Angelo like we would follow those of a character of a good move form Coppola. Beyond nostalgia,  we take part in a wonderful ganster story. Despite every issue the game suffers at the moment (random freezes, crashes...) and some terrible optimizations on PC and PS4, it's still a captivating game, but it's hard to ignore its flaws.

Push Square - 7 / 10

You'll be hard-pressed to find a remake more faithful than Mafia: Definitive Edition. It pays a great deal of respect to the source text with excellent cutscene direction, voice acting, and a cast of characters you can't help but fall in love with. The game definitely shows its age with frustrating controls and vehicle handling, but the next story beat is enough of an excuse to continue pressing forward. Mafia: Definitive Edition's narrative and everything that comes with it holds up to this day, and it's one worth revisiting even if you know it like the back of your hand.

VideoGamer - 7 / 10

If you're hoping for a sombre tale of lives brought low by the touch of darkness, my advice would be to go for a ride and take in the sights instead.

GameSpot - 6 / 10

Dated gameplay drags down this impressive remake of an 18-year-old classic.

Game Informer - 5.5 / 10

Faithful almost to a fault, Hangar 13's remake puts a glossy finish on a title that is fundamentally musty by contemporary standards

ACG - Buy

Eurogamer - No Recommendation / Blank

A mostly thorough remake of 2002's original, Mafia: Definitive Edition has its moments - but it struggles by the standards of today.

Polygon - Unscored

In 2002, the original Mafia may have felt like an epic, but in 2020, Mafia: Definitive Edition feels more like a quaint mafioso side story. “Small-time,” as Tommy describes one of Don Salieri’s operations.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Mafia: Definitive Edition (25 September 2020) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted
  • 1 year later...