Bob Iger steps down as Disney CEO

Bob Iger to step down as Disney CEO, effective immediately

Bob Iger will step down as Disney CEO and assume the role of executive chairman, Disney announced on Tuesday.

Bob Chapek, who most recently served as chairman of Disney parks, experiences and products, will assume the role of CEO, effective immediately, Disney announced. Chapek will continue to report to Iger and be appointed to the board of directors at a later date.

He stacked 2019 with huge theatrical, theme park, and streaming service launches so he could ride off into the sunset on a record breaking year. Smart of him, and what an unfortunate year to the next guy to take over :lol:

15 minutes ago, Brick said:

Rather odd to have this be immediately, instead of announcing that he'll step down in 3-6 months. I wonder if there's something more to this. Then again it's not like he's retiring. 

Yeah but in 3-6 months corona virus will have ruined theme park and movie attendance so yolo

• Haha 2

I've already seen people praise this as good because they didn't like the direction he let the new Star Wars movies go in. :|

Pretty sure that would be more on Kathleen Kennedy as the head of LucasFilm, and Alan Horn as the head of Walt Disney Studios, ie the movie division of the Disney company. Iger was head of all of Disney, not just the movies, and was more in charge of business, not creative decision making. 

6 hours ago, Brick said:

I've already seen people praise this as good because they didn't like the direction he let the new Star Wars movies go in. :|

Pretty sure that would be more on Kathleen Kennedy as the head of LucasFilm, and Alan Horn as the head of Walt Disney Studios, ie the movie division of the Disney company. Iger was head of all of Disney, not just the movies, and was more in charge of business, not creative decision making. 

well, we’ve already established a good chunk of Internet SW fans are complete and utter morons. So 🤷🏻‍♂️

8 hours ago, Brick said:

well those people obviously don't know what he's done to the parks. He's an ass that doesn't care about guest experience. He's a penny pincher, looking for anyway to save a buck. He's responsible for getting rid of a ton of the streetmosphere people (those that are dressed up in the parks interacting with the guests...the 'actors' in Hollywood studios and the main street people in the magic Kingdom. Main street people are still there but a ton of people aren't and the other forms of entertainment has been cut way back including the incredible drummers in Japan at Epcot.) He's replaced a bunch of the photopass people with automated photopass boxes which suck. The guy just doesn't give a shit. And if he's done that the parks I can only imagine what he'll be doing when he's the overlord :p 

22 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

well those people obviously don't know what he's done to the parks. He's an ass that doesn't care about guest experience. He's a penny pincher, looking for anyway to save a buck. He's responsible for getting rid of a ton of the streetmosphere people (those that are dressed up in the parks interacting with the guests...the 'actors' in Hollywood studios and the main street people in the magic Kingdom. Main street people are still there but a ton of people aren't and the other forms of entertainment has been cut way back including the incredible drummers in Japan at Epcot.) He's replaced a bunch of the photopass people with automated photopass boxes which suck. The guy just doesn't give a shit. And if he's done that the parks I can only imagine what he'll be doing when he's the overlord :p 

If your talking about the Taiko drummers , they are still there.

34 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

He got rid of smoking and strollers. What a jerk!

17 hours ago, sblfilms said:

He stacked 2019 with huge theatrical, theme park, and streaming service launches so he could ride off into the sunset on a record breaking year. Smart of him, and what an unfortunate year to the next guy to take over :lol:

Not to mention the purchase of Fox.

From the Verge article:

“If he’s sticking around, it could just be that he’s the trainer,” the former Disney executive said. “The Sith apprentice and Sith Lord. He’ll be holding Chapek’s hand. He’s going to take a position to still be deeply entwined with the company. It’s still Bob’s show.”

That's quite the analogy, Mr/Ms Former Disney Executive 

3 hours ago, SimpleG said:

If your talking about the Taiko drummers , they are still there.

Yes I know, but they used to be there every day. The number of days they are there have been cut back. Same with that roaming band at Epcot in future world. He's cut back on those little touches that helped to make a trip into the parks something special. He's sucking the magic out of the parks. 

1 minute ago, EternallDarkness said:

Yes I know, but they used to be there every day. The number of days they are there have been cut back. Same with that roaming band at Epcot in future world. He's cut back on those little touches that helped to make a trip into the parks something special. He's sucking the magic out of the parks. 

Kind of a fun 'small world' story:

I took my family to Disney 3 years ago and my wife (who had lived for 5 years in Japan and plays Taiko drums) recognized one of the Taiko drummers at Epcot and talked to him after the show.  They knew each other in japan and had played together.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, number305 said:

Kind of a fun 'small world' story:

I took my family to Disney 3 years ago and my wife (who had lived for 5 years in Japan and plays Taiko drums) recognized one of the Taiko drummers at Epcot and talked to him after the show.  They knew each other in japan and had played together.  

They are fantastic. Any time I am in Epcot I make sure to go over and watch them. 

4 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

You just described a bunch of things I legitimately could not care less about. Different strokes, as it were :p 

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

You just described a bunch of things I legitimately could not care less about. Different strokes, as it were :p 

I'm sure there are plenty of people who feel the same. But I think all the little extras is what makes the Disney experience more than just visiting a standard amusement park like a six flags or what have you. Not that there is anything wrong with that. 

1 hour ago, Reputator said:

If you go to the parks often, especially if you're a Passholder, those little touches make a difference.

Maybe, I’m also the kind of person who doesn’t want any interaction with waitstaff beyond what is necessary to get my food and drink...but data shows people on the whole really enjoy having personal interaction with waitstaff so I unfortunately get bothered all meal long :p 

2 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

CGapek's first day on the job didn't go so well. Not only did that boat sink at Jungle Cruise, a SWAT team was dispatched over to the yacht/beach club last night! :shock:

I'd laugh, but considering I'm heading down in a couple of weeks perhaps I should be worried.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

4 hours ago, Brick said:

Clearly Iger is stepping down before Bernie Sanders becomes POTUS and implements his wealth tax, so that Iger won't lose his money. Yup, that's the real reason. You heard it here first.

and you think by stepping down beforehand he'd magically not have any money anymore????

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

You'll probably get COVID19 while you're there and blame it on him.

anything is possible, and yes it would be Bob's fault. 

On 2/26/2020 at 1:37 PM, sblfilms said:

He also cut back a lot of the more immersive aspects of Star Wars land to cut back on costs, such as droids walking and rolling around. You can’t tell me you’re not interesting in droids roaming around Star Wars land!!