What are you playing today?

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

@Biggie I don't know what you were smokin when you played Jedi Survivor. It is so freakin well done. It got me to into Star Wars I'm in the middle of watching the Force Awakens. I'm turning into a Star Wars nerd!

Star Wars Jedi Ass

• Guillotine 1

Just now, best3444 said:

If it didn't have it's technical issues at launch it would have gotten more GOTY considerations. 

You're probably right.  I haven't played BG3, so my opinion might be skewed.

But SW:JS also plays to my tastes.  I like games that have metroidvania elements, I like "faster" combat that relies on combos and counters and I love the Star Wars universe.

The only really problematic thing that I personally experiences was the crashing (until I turned off RT).  I noticed the stuttering that others saw, but since it mostly happened during the slow parts of traversal, rather than during combat or during the "traversal challenges" -- it didn't really bother me.

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You're probably right.  I haven't played BG3, so my opinion might be skewed.

But SW:JS also plays to my tastes.  I like games that have metroidvania elements, I like "faster" combat that relies on combos and counters and I love the Star Wars universe.

The only really problematic thing that I personally experiences was the crashing (until I turned off RT).  I noticed the stuttering that others saw, but since it mostly happened during the slow parts of traversal, rather than during combat or during the "traversal challenges" -- it didn't really bother me.

I haven't even had one small glitch in the 8 hours I'm in. The combat really sticks out as a big highlight for me. 

• True 1

20 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Think I'm gonna start Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia on 3DS tonight.

Sooo, when I went to play this last night, game kept crashing right away. Apparently I had a corrupted cart? Anyone ever experienced this? @chakoo?

Husband ran the cart on some verification app on his 3DS and it ran into issues immediately. I just said fuck it and downloaded a ROM because I wasn't paying $30 for another cart. He ran the cart on some program  this morning and apparently got it fixed because it'll verify now. But it makes me paranoid of my other 3DS carts.

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Sooo, when I went to play this last night, game kept crashing right away. Apparently I had a corrupted cart? Anyone ever experienced this? @chakoo?

Husband ran the cart on some verification app on his 3DS and it ran into issues immediately. I just said fuck it and downloaded a ROM because I wasn't paying $30 for another cart. He ran the cart on some program  this morning and apparently got it fixed because it'll verify now. But it makes me paranoid of my other 3DS carts.

I don’t know if this is one of them but there is a small list of 3ds games that the carts are failing. One of the main ones is PersonaQ and one of the Pokémon’s but so far my carts on both seem to be fine. I own echoes but I don’t think I opened it yet. :/

11 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I don’t know if this is one of them but there is a small list of 3ds games that the carts are failing. One of the main ones is PersonaQ and one of the Pokémon’s but so far my carts on both seem to be fine. I own echoes but I don’t think I opened it yet. :/

He tested some of our oldest carts today, OoT and Star Fox and they were fine. Hopefully it's not a widespread issue at this point.

This was  the first time I'd booted up FE. It was one of the only games I haven't played yet in the series and I finally decided to get around to it.

53 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

He tested some of our oldest carts today, OoT and Star Fox and they were fine. Hopefully it's not a widespread issue at this point.

This was  the first time I'd booted up FE. It was one of the only games I haven't played yet in the series and I finally decided to get around to it.

Far as I know, the issue only affects carts that were released around a specific period. Doing a quick search it looks like Echoes was one of them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/3DS/comments/11wagsx/a_reminder_to_players_to_doublecheck_your_carts/

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I’ll try it again when it hits GamePass. I’m not downloading it again on my PS5. 

I've been playing Skyrim on my deck as a secondary game and it's still great. The combat is God awful though. 

Whelp, I just beat every side quest in FFXVI, sans the combat challenges and hunts.

It's really not that big of a thing to do, but they could have stood to cut maybe half of them and the game would be better for it.  They all fill out the world lore, just in a way that's lesser compared to say, Xenoblade 3.

Onto the final boss.

On 1/10/2024 at 3:51 PM, chakoo said:

Far as I know, the issue only affects carts that were released around a specific period. Doing a quick search it looks like Echoes was one of them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/3DS/comments/11wagsx/a_reminder_to_players_to_doublecheck_your_carts/

Ugh. That’s disappointing. Guess I’ll start looking through my carts.

Tried EDF last night for the first time (EDF 4.1) and it seems fun but I can barely stand playing it on a visual level because it’s simply horrifying to me. I thought I’d be okay with the giant insects, plenty of those in other games, but seeing so many moving so fast and so fucking gross looking it’s a bit too much for me lol. I definitely would literally not be able to play EDF in vr! I think this is about as graphically advanced as I’d be able to play one of these at all as well and after a few missions I think even at this level that’s about all I can stomach!

I’m bouncing around between a bunch of random games. I haven’t been able to stick with anything lately, I think because the PS5 update for TLOU2 is coming soon, and I know that’s gonna get all of my attention. 

31 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Whatever you do, don't share.

Outrun 2006 instructions for the steam deck - per a reddit post by mpdasher

""Here is a step by step that I took, maybe you can try following it and see if it works for you.

1 - Go to desktop mode, open steam and right click the non working copy of the game, click manage -> remove non-steam game from library. Then go to the directory you have the game in and delete the files.

2 - Go to the website my abandonware (google it, I don't know if I can post the link without breaking rules) and search for outrun 2006: coast 2 coast, click it and click download. It will take you to a page that says Windows version with a file that is 977mb and right below it is game extras with a file called nocd 6mb. Download both zip files.

3 - Go into the discover app and search for PeaZip, you will get a few results but download the one with a pea icon and the only says PeaZip.

4 - Go to the directory where you downloaded the zips files, extract the 977mb zip first, I personally extracted it to home/games/OutRun.2006.Coast.2.Coast/ but that shouldn't matter

5 - Now go and extract the OR2006C2C.EXE from the 6mb zip. Copy this file to the directory where you extracted the 977mb zip. So I copied OR2006C2C.EXE to home/games/OutRun.2006.Coast.2.Coast/. The directory already has OR2006C2C.EXE so you will then be asked if you want to suggest a new name or if you want to overwrite the file with the new one, click overwrite to replace the old OR2006C2C.EXE with the modified one.

6 - Open steam again, click Add a game -> Add a non-steam game -> browse. Then go to the directory where your files are so I navigated to home/games/OutRun.2006.Coast.2.Coast/ and clicked on Config.exe. This will now add a title called config.exe to your library.

7 - Go to the title config.exe in your library, right click it, click properties -> compatibility and put a check next to "Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool". There be a drop down under that, that shows what proton version it will use, I have mine set to Proton 7.0-4

8 - Run the game (still has the name Config.exe in your steam library) from steam, I ran it in desktop mode. A config tool will pop up with the options: video settings, cancel and okay, click video settings. A window will pop up and there will be four options: Adapter, Resolution, Anti-Aliasing, fogging. You can leave adapter and fogging alone as they are not blank. Click resolution and it should only give one option 1280x800, click it and for Anti-Aliasing, there will be three options Quality level 1,2 and 3, I went with quality level 3 and clicked okay. It will close out the window and leave the original window with the options video settings, cancel and okay. Make sure to hit okay on that window so it saves your config and it will close out the program. Note closing out the window instead of hitting okay will not save your configuration, please make sure to hit okay on both windows when you are done.

9 - Go back to your steam library (still in desktop mode) and locate your game (should still have the name config.exe) right click it -> properties -> shortcut and you will see a field called TARGET, it will have the directory to the config exe, for me it displays "home/deck/games/OutRun.2006.Coast.2.Coast/config.exe", it will display your equivalent. You want to edit this field to now run the game executable OR2006C2C.EXE. So I edited the field to "home/deck/games/OutRun.2006.Coast.2.Coast/OR2006C2C.EXE" and closed the window.

10 - Try running the game now, personally I ran it in gaming mode so I would have a way to force quit if it didn't work but it ran without issues for me at this point for me.

11 - (Optional) I then updated the name config.exe to the name of the game and got artwork, logos, icons, etc from steam grid to make it look nice in my library

Credit: Taco_Human on era

Bonus, pay attention to this part as it’s really easy to think you can do it another way and some others got it working finally after I posted this:

stepee said:

This worked great and got it running on my oled deck! Thank you! If anyone else has issues in the instructions at the end it tells you to write the name of the OR2006C2C.exe in place of config.exe. Do as it says! Dont do what I wasted 20 minutes on and select browse and then select that .exe as the target. It seems like it should work also that way but for some reason it does not. When I tried manually typing it as the direction state it did indeed work. Also, GE-Proton-7-4 was needed for me to get it to launch. I downloaded it using proton-up-qt.

Choo Choo Charles is on sale for $6 and I think that’s a pretty good price to check it out for the novelty of it. Seems like a good halloween game to play. Supposed to be short but that’s why you get it for $6.

Just now, Biggie said:

Did you try out Elder Scrolls Online?

Yes. I played today on my XSX and it's absolutely terrific. I played almost 4 hours and decided to stop to check out TLOU2 remastered. It's like Skyrim but with improved combat and it has phenomenal voice acting.

If I had to compare Skyrim and ESO, ESO is the better game.