Microsoft is testing voting machines

Microsoft is building an open source system they call "ElectionGuard," an open source voting system, that actually checks most of the boxes for being a pretty good idea. First things first: they're not using it for any major elections this year. They've done testing in Wisconsin and will be doing more, but this isn't rolling out widely for use this year.

So here's how it works: Voters make their selections using either a touch screen or an Xbox adaptive controller. Once finished, two ballots are printed. One goes into a ballot box, the other voters take home. Once the polls close, voters can scan the QR code on the ballot they took home and see that their vote was counted and verify that it was counted correctly. Homomorphic encryption allows vote totals to be counted without deciphering all the data and exposing who voted for whom. A ZIP file of all encrypted votes is also made available to download, so anyone can verify the results. Should the system be hacked, the paper ballots exist a safe, offline backup.

Lots of hurdles exist, including verification of the machines, teaching people how to use them, and making people actually check their ballots. Still, this is largely a consistent set of best practices when it comes to voting machines that I've been reading about for a decade. It should allow for a voting system that realizes the benefits of digital voting, while being transparent, verifiable, and most importantly, always having a paper backup. If the US decides to throw some real funding at fixing voting systems, a system like this could actually be a good idea.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Or we can just use fucking paper instead of giving millions (billions?) more to tech companies creating solutions to problems that don't exist

To be fair, paper ballots don't allow you to confirm that your vote was counted correctly. And I'm not so sure anyone should feel super confident that no problems with voting exist in this country at this point.

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Or we can just use fucking paper instead of giving millions (billions?) more to tech companies creating solutions to problems that don't exist

This. Paper scantron accurately counts the vote and every age group understands it. Why are we trying to change it up?

Just now, Massdriver said:

This. Paper scantron accurately counts the vote and every age group understands it. Why are we trying to change it up?

But who makes the money with a scantron??? If some asshole company isn't making millions of bucks while making things worse for regular people, then whats the point of doing anything? Destroying institutions so a few people can make money is the most American tradition we have.

21 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

But who makes the money with a scantron??? If some asshole company isn't making millions of bucks while making things worse for regular people, then whats the point of doing anything? Destroying institutions so a few people can make money is the most American tradition we have.

Big Evil Standardized Test Co (BESTCo) makes a killing

28 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

In Trinidad, you mark your ballot by first dipping your finger in ink that won't wash off for about a week and then pressing your finger in the oval of the party you're voting for on the printed cardboard ballot.

Instead of stupid "I Voted" stickers, you can easily tell who voted and who didn't!

I really do wish we'd do that

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

In Trinidad, you mark your ballot by first dipping your finger in ink that won't wash off for about a week and then pressing your finger in the oval of the party you're voting for on the printed cardboard ballot.

Instead of stupid "I Voted" stickers, you can easily tell who voted and who didn't!

screw u i like those stickers!

18 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

What about the people that don't have hands? Ableist bastard.