Hamilton Trailer and Discussion Thread (Update: Official Trailer)

TwinIon

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

$75M for a straight to Disney+ movie. It's far from the most expensive streaming acquisition, but I bet this theatrical run would have done reletively well.

It probably would have made more in a theater - but this is probably a smart move for Disney.  A lot of their content for Disney+ is stuck in production.  They may not have a lot of new stuff getting added this year, so having a big hitter like this on there will help keep their subscriber base up.

26 minutes ago, number305 said:

It probably would have made more in a theater - but this is probably a smart move for Disney.  A lot of their content for Disney+ is stuck in production.  They may not have a lot of new stuff getting added this year, so having a big hitter like this on there will help keep their subscriber base up.

This is a very good point I had not thought of.

• 1 month later...

Experience the original Broadway Production of Hamilton, streaming exclusively on Disney+ on July 3.

“Hamilton” is the story of America then, told by America now. Featuring a score that blends hip-hop, jazz, R&B and Broadway, “Hamilton” has taken the story of American founding father Alexander Hamilton and created a revolutionary moment in theatre—a musical that has had a profound impact on culture, politics, and education. Filmed at The Richard Rodgers Theatre on Broadway in June of 2016, the film transports its audience into the world of the Broadway show in a uniquely intimate way.

• Like 1

Shortly after this thread was made, I was able to get a ticket for Hamilton’s return to Cincinnati. That’s not until next March, and I don’t know if that date will hold or if the whole season (which starts in November) will get pushed back. Whatever happens with that, I’m glad we’ll all be able to see this soon. I intentionally haven’t listened to it in years. 

14 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

I didn’t realize this was next week. They better not censor any of the swears.

Hamilton film had to be censored for Disney+, Lin-Manuel Miranda reveals (The Independent)

Hamilton creator Lin-Manuel Miranda has revealed that the hip-hop musical had to be censored in order to go on Disney+.

With the film heading to Disney's streaming service on 3 July, Miranda admitted on Twitter that some of Hamilton’s swearing had to be cut in order for the film be given the required PG-13 rating.

5 hours ago, Iculus said:

He said that they literally censored 2 "fucks" I'm sure that it'll be fine.

Those familiar with the show know that these are two very well placed and deliberate “fucks”. They accentuate and heighten two powerful moments of their respective songs. Both are part of iconic lines that you wait the whole song for just to sing along at the top of your lungs.

Basically it would be like cutting out the single f-bomb from Anchorman, or even First Class. Yeah the movie largely the same, but it will greatly lessen a particular moment.

1 hour ago, sexy_shapiro said:

Those familiar with the show know that these are two very well placed and deliberate “fucks”. They accentuate and heighten two powerful moments of their respective songs. Both are part of iconic lines that you wait the whole song for just to sing along at the top of your lungs.

Basically it would be like cutting out the single f-bomb from Anchorman, or even First Class. Yeah the movie largely the same, but it will greatly lessen a particular moment.

Your options are, watch it on July 3rd on Disney+ without two fucks hand selected by the show’s creator...

... or wait until Fall 2021 and see it in the theater uncensored. 

36 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

Your options are, watch it on July 3rd on Disney+ without two fucks hand selected by the show’s creator...

... or wait until Fall 2021 and see it in the theater uncensored. 

You haven’t seen the show or heard it so you don’t know what you’re talking about. You’re just defending censorship for the sake of censorship.

And your attitude is classist. Live theater is expensive and because this is a Disney Plus exclusive, there won’t be an uncut version for those who desire it. This will be the only way that a large portion of America and its intended POC audience will be able to see it. I would happily pay 20 dollars for an uncut Blu-ray, but I’m sure that won’t happen this being an exclusive and all that.

Besides, this isn’t just any recording. It’s a recording of one of the final performances of the original cast. No amount of money will allow me to have that uncensored experience with the OG cast in a theater again. For Hamilton super fans, this fucking sucks.

I don’t care as much that there’s a censored version that more school-friendly. It bothers me that this is the only version available for most people.

A blu-ray exclusive isn't classist? And from what I can tell it's several performances edited together. It's literally 2 words that were censored during the entire run time. It also sounds like there will be a non-disney+ cut at some point, but they had to make their money up from losing the theatrical release somewhere. 

42 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

You haven’t seen the show or heard it so you don’t know what you’re talking about. You’re just defending censorship for the sake of censorship.

And your attitude is classist. Live theater is expensive and because this is a Disney Plus exclusive, there won’t be an uncut version for those who desire it. This will be the only way that a large portion of America and its intended POC audience will be able to see it. I would happily pay 20 dollars for an uncut Blu-ray, but I’m sure that won’t happen this being an exclusive and all that.

Besides, this isn’t just any recording. It’s a recording of one of the final performances of the original cast. No amount of money will allow me to have that uncensored experience with the OG cast in a theater again. For Hamilton super fans, this fucking sucks.

I don’t care as much that there’s a censored version that more school-friendly. It bothers me that this is the only version available for most people.

Lol. So I haven’t seen the show in Chicago twice? And I didn’t start listening to the album back in 2015 the month it released (thanks, @Anzo!)? And I haven’t listened to the album ad nauseam, well over 400 times from start to finish between then and now?

Way to fucking assume, douchenozzle. I’m sorry, I’m all for seeing artists’ work uncensored, but to bitch about two words that don’t functionally alter jack shit (if it did, LMM wouldn’t have approved the alteration), is really the ultimate bitch about nothing just to bitch. 

Now, if they removed an entire scene, or neglected to include the song that is not on the album, that would be one thing. But they didn’t. They 100% respected LMM’s wishes, and anyone who wants to will now be able to see the show with the original cast in 4K. 

Now, why don’t you follow LMM’s lead, care a little... and give two fucks. :p

24 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

Lol. So I haven’t seen the show in Chicago twice? And I didn’t start listening to the album back in 2015 the month it released (thanks, @Anzo!)? And I haven’t listened to the album ad nauseam, well over 400 times from start to finish between then and now?

Way to fucking assume, douchenozzle. I’m sorry, I’m all for seeing artists’ work uncensored, but to bitch about two words that don’t functionally alter jack shit (if it did, LMM wouldn’t have approved the alteration), is really the ultimate bitch about nothing just to bitch. 

Now, if they removed an entire scene, or neglected to include the song that is not on the album, that would be one thing. But they didn’t. They 100% respected LMM’s wishes, and anyone who wants to will now be able to see the show with the original cast in 4K. 

Now, why don’t you follow LMM’s lead, care a little... and give two fucks. :p

I’m sorry for assuming you haven’t seen it, but you don’t get to call me douchebkzzle, you fucking twat. It just seems like someone who is that big enough fan would understand why I’m bothered.

You are privileged enough to see the show twice, so it makes sense that you aren’t sympathetic enough to those like me who can’t afford to see the show and have been waiting for this recording to drop for years. That explains your classist attitudes.

I don’t endorse the name calling, but I’m on Emblazon’s side here. You know the words being cut. You know exactly where they are. You likely won’t be able to watch this without just hearing them in your head anyway. Even for someone who doesn’t know the show, it’s not like it’ll be some great mystery what they’re saying. This really feels like a non-issue for me. At least they won’t substitute “duck” like one of those bad cable edits. 

42 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

I’m sorry for assuming you haven’t seen it, but you don’t get to call me douchebkzzle, you fucking twat. It just seems like someone who is that big enough fan would understand why I’m bothered.

You are privileged enough to see the show twice, so it makes sense that you aren’t sympathetic enough to those like me who can’t afford to see the show and have been waiting for this recording to drop for years. That explains your classist attitudes.

If you honestly cared so much, you would be ECSTATIC to be able to see the original cast perform the show. It’s obvious you don’t. Care. At all.

It wasn’t the MPAA’s decision. It wasn’t Disney’s decision. It was LMM himself that chose to make it PG-13. Why? So that KIDS would be able to watch the movie. 

So, tell me, how much more of a selfish ass do you feel like now?

13 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I don’t endorse the name calling, but I’m on Emblazon’s side here. You know the words being cut. You know exactly where they are. You likely won’t be able to watch this without just hearing them in your head anyway. Even for someone who doesn’t know the show, it’s not like it’ll be some great mystery what they’re saying. This really feels like a non-issue for me. At least they won’t substitute “duck” like one of those bad cable edits. 

Yeah, I’m sorry. :hug:. Normally I wouldn’t, but that first line SUPER triggered me, as I’ve been waiting for this for 5 years. Take all three fucks. Give us SD and pan & scan. I don’t care. Just put the original cast show into my eyes right now. 

AND we get it more than a full year ahead of schedule. I, for one, cannot wait for July 3rd. It will be on repeat the entire weekend in our house. Hamilton is also the musical I used to introduce my daughter to musicals. Now she adores musicals. She’s as big a fan of the show as I am. I was lucky enough to take her to see the show. It’s going to be a weekend of nothing but sing-along with the sound system shaking the entire house. 

I liked the live show when I saw it. But I don't understand the people who lost their minds for it. It's kind of like 8 mile meets the founding fathers. 

That being said, if you like the show you should be happy with this release. Crying over mild edits seems childish. 

21 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

If you honestly cared so much, you would be ECSTATIC to be able to see the original cast perform the show. It’s obvious you don’t. Care. At all.

It wasn’t the MPAA’s decision. It wasn’t Disney’s decision. It was LMM himself that chose to make it PG-13. Why? So that KIDS would be able to watch the movie. 

So, tell me, how much more of a selfish ass do you feel like now?

Yeah, I’m sorry. :hug:. Normally I wouldn’t, but that first line SUPER triggered me, as I’ve been waiting for this for 5 years. Take all three fucks. Give us SD and pan & scan. I don’t care. Just put the original cast show into my eyes right now. 

AND we get it more than a full year ahead of schedule. I, for one, cannot wait for July 3rd. It will be on repeat the entire weekend in our house. Hamilton is also the musical I used to introduce my daughter to musicals. Now she adores musicals. She’s as big a fan of the show as I am. I was lucky enough to take her to see the show. It’s going to be a weekend of nothing but sing-along with the sound system shaking the entire house. 

It’s really stunning that you’re telling me the that I don’t care. Like, what are you even talking about here? I care deeply. I’m not the kind of person who would spend this much time typing arguing something I don’t care about. I run on passion. If I didn’t care I wouldn’t even bother to post in this thread.

I used to be able to rap the entirety of My Shot from memory. I even learned some of the choreography (I even tried performing it at karaoke once and boy, let me just say don’t try to do Hamilton songs in front of an audience unless they are also super fans lol). When I lived in DC back when it was on tour there I entered the lottery every single day, to no avail. I own the Hamilton book (dubbed by LMM as the “Hamiltome”). I bought the Ron Chernow biography. I used to be a regular listener of the Hamilton podcast “The Room Where it Happens.” I watched the PBS documentary on Hamilton on the first night it aired. I saw a decent bootleg of it twice before it was removed. I listened to it EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. for well over a year. I used to be able to recite the track listing from memory. At certain points I had to take breaks from listening to disc 2 because the down spiral of Alexander Hamilton’s was too much of an emotional burden to bear. Seeing the bootleg makes the second half even more painful. I can’t even imagine what it must be like seeing it in an audience.

My late aunt was a huge history nerd and we talked about seeing it together one day. Sadly that day never came. You have no idea how jealous I am of people like you who got to see it. And to flex your privilege like that, and tell me I don’t care because I’m upset about censorship is insulting. And to say I should just drop hundreds of dollars to see  it just adds insult to injury. I tried so hard to see it. I almost used all my savings to see it up in DC but my boyfriend at the time stopped me (probably wisely).

I’m not as obsessed about it as I used to be. It’s hard for a flame to burn that bright forever. I’ll admit the election of Trump did sour me a bit on the source material, even if I still recognize it as a talented work of genius. I had to force myself to stop listening to the soundtrack so that I won’t burn out on it before even seeing it for the first time. I still can’t wait to see it next week.

And it was LMM’s decision to sell it to Disney. It’s not like there was ever a chance of it being released as R under them. And I can be unhappy with his decisions too. It’s not like he’s absolved from criticism just because he’s the creator. Just like I can be a Star Wars fan and not like they changes that George Lucas made to his own movies.

One thing I liked about Hamilton is that the show had just enough edge to keep it from seeming too corny or “Schoolhouse Rock” like. I find that the tasteful use of cursing added to that edge. The original production has more cursing but a lot of that was removed before it moved to Broadway. LMM kept what he thought were essential swear words. And years later, he chooses to smooth off the edges even more. I understand it’s his decision, but that’s not really a good augment for it in my opinion.

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

I admit my annoyance over this is part of Disney+’s larger issue of censorship. No other streaming service has done as much censorship as they have. I wasn’t thrilled when LMM sold the recording to Disney because I knew this was going to happen.

https://www.newsweek.com/disney-plus-censorship-movies-series-edited-splash-racist-nudity-censored-1498006

On 6/24/2020 at 6:08 PM, sexy_shapiro said:

When he said see it in the theater in Oct 2021, he meant the movie theater, when it was originally scheduled to release. 

15 minutes ago, Anzo said:

When he said see it in the theater in Oct 2021, he meant the movie theater, when it was originally scheduled to release. 

The theatrical release is indeed still scheduled...for now