Hamilton Trailer and Discussion Thread (Update: Official Trailer)

TwinIon

I was talking to my wife about it and I noted some of the moments in the show that I already loved that were even more impactful seeing it. The one that GOT me was basically the entirety of “Quiet Uptown”, but particularly the moment when Eliza takes his hand. Absolutely ugly cried.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Weirdly I didn't cry at all, though I teared up near the end. I say weirdly since I cry for almost anything. But great musical!

Same here. Idk if it’s the medium or the fact that the musical covers a ton of time so you don’t get to really sit with the character for too long before they skip ahead 

I was a "Wait For It" fan since the soundtrack came out, but man, it's just so much more impactful in the context of the actual musical. I got goosebumps when the song started and I teared up throughout its duration.

Seeing the choreography for Satisfied is just jaw-dropping. They way they use the circular stage and completely redo Helpless from Angelica’s perspective. 

Also the king staying on stage for the second half of the show and dancing in The Reynolds Pamphlet. So good. 

I also like the alternate interpretation of Eliza’s gasp at the end breaking the 4th wall. That it wasn’t Hamilton taking Eliza’s hand, but instead LMM’s hand showing Eliza that her husband’s legacy has lived on showing her the audience watching a musical about her husband. 

19 hours ago, TheLeon said:

The take I’ve seen on my FB is “I’m conflicted, because everyone involved in this musical is very talented, but we shouldn’t celebrate these old white slave owners”

The way I view it is, there is never a 100% correct answer on controversial historical figures. In the case of the founding fathers of the US, there were a wide range of views held. Some owned slaves and liked slavery, but also wanted to free some people (white people) from perceived tyranny. Some people wanted to free slaves, but accepted the compromise to just declare white people free, hoping to win the other battle in the future. All were racist or prejudiced in some way using our current values, but some were very progressive for their time. I don't know the correct lens through which to view them. Even someone who came later, like Lincoln, is still a horrible racist by our standards. Sure he ended slavery, but he did it out of his duty to the US, not for a love of the slaves. He didn't believe that black people were the equals of white people. Again, an important figure for freedom, but very regressive by modern values.

I think, personally, that we should remember most strongly the people who were progressive for their time, and were constrained by their period's Overton Window, but also remember that they are flawed by today's standards. Maybe don't celebrate any of them, just teach about them and their role in the path that led us to where we are today.

I was very satisfied with my viewing this weekend. I've been a fan of musical theater since high school and I was extremely impressed by Hamilton. The first half in particular is astonishing. I hadn't listened to the soundtrack or seen the show before, but I felt like I had a reasonable handle on what to expect, but I was still blown away in that first half. The pace, the performances, the music, and the staging were all impeccable. I can imagine what you lose by seeing this on screen rather than live on stage, but I'll take this accessibility over not being able to see it every day of the week. I was dubious, but overall I'd say that Hamilton lives up to the hype.

As far as the history goes, I'm glad for all the fact checks that have been put out there to be able to separate fact from fiction, but I don't hold most films to a terribly high standard of truth. A Broadway musical deserves credit if it's both entertaining and gets the names right.

Also, while I was expecting Lin-Manuel and Daveed Digss, I was kind of surprised to see Holden Ford and Quellcrist Falconer on stage.

9 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I was very satisfied with my viewing this weekend. I've been a fan of musical theater since high school and I was extremely impressed by Hamilton. The first half in particular is astonishing. I hadn't listened to the soundtrack or seen the show before, but I felt like I had a reasonable handle on what to expect, but I was still blown away in that first half. The pace, the performances, the music, and the staging were all impeccable. I can imagine what you lose by seeing this on screen rather than live on stage, but I'll take this accessibility over not being able to see it every day of the week. I was dubious, but overall I'd say that Hamilton lives up to the hype.

As far as the history goes, I'm glad for all the fact checks that have been put out there to be able to separate fact from fiction, but I don't hold most films to a terribly high standard of truth. A Broadway musical deserves credit if it's both entertaining and gets the names right.

Also, while I was expecting Lin-Manuel and Daveed Digss, I was kind of surprised to see Holden Ford and Quellcrist Falconer on stage.

I'm still wiping off Groff's spittle from my face. Really though, he was awesome as well.

• Haha 2

I went in with very little knowledge of the actual show, except knowing the hype. So I was expecting it to be good. Was not expecting the cast to be as diverse as it was. I looked it up later and saw it was done intentionally by LMM. I thought they just went with the best people that auditioned, which is kind of true still. 

I enjoyed it quite a bit. I found myself so sucked in and experienced many moments of internal harmony. I was quite relaxed through most of it. But quite sad at the end. 

I will surely watch it again sometime soon. 

On 7/7/2020 at 7:02 AM, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I went in with very little knowledge of the actual show, except knowing the hype. So I was expecting it to be good. Was not expecting the cast to be as diverse as it was. I looked it up later and saw it was done intentionally by LMM. I thought they just went with the best people that auditioned, which is kind of true still. 

I enjoyed it quite a bit. I found myself so sucked in and experienced many moments of internal harmony. I was quite relaxed through most of it. But quite sad at the end. 

I will surely watch it again sometime soon. 

That's interesting. I feel like the diversity of the casting was the most well known aspect of the show.

It did get me thinking about what level of credit Hamilton deserves for more race blind / race swapped casting we've seen, especially in historical fiction. My gut is that without Hamilton's success we wouldn't see such diversity in a show like The Great, but I don't really know the history of such casting, even if I suspect Hamilton was far from the first.

8 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

That's interesting. I feel like the diversity of the casting was the most well known aspect of the show.

To be honest, since there was like a 0% chance I’d ever go to see it, I didn’t pay much attention to it. I knew tickets were expensive, they were hard to get, Lin-Manuel Miranda wrote it and I’d seen him in a few episodes of House, and Hamilton was very good. That is the sum total of all I knew about it. Any exposure I had to it was when somebody on a late night show would joke about how impossible Hamilton tickets were to get. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...