Hamilton Trailer and Discussion Thread (Update: Official Trailer)

TwinIon

2 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

What song are you referring to in Rent?

Rent is the best musical of the ones I’ve seen live, which isn’t a whole lot compared to some people. Perhaps there are better ones out there, but I can only judge on what I’ve seen.

I also recognize it’s not perfect, but it does speak to me on a personal level that other musicals haven’t quite done (except maybe Hamilton. I really relate to the young, brash Alexander in act 1).

Seasons of Love. I actually have not seen Rent live. And LMM describes Rent better than I ever could—give a watch to his Apple TV “Dear...” segment. It’s really good.

2 minutes ago, Emblazon said:

Seasons of Love. I actually have not seen Rent live. And LMM describes Rent better than I ever could—give a watch to his Apple TV “Dear...” segment. It’s really good.

I saw it recently on the 25th anniversary tour and it was so good. Seasons of Love is actually the opening song of Act 2, and it’s reprised a number of times throughout the rest of the show. I wasn’t a fan of how it was moved to the beginning of the movie, but I’m not a huge fan of the movie after seeing the show itself.

Musicals I’ve seen live:

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (x3, twice with Donny Osmond)

Jesus Christ Superstar with Corey Glover (Living Color) as Judas

Wicked (x2, once with Teal Wicks who, in my opinion, blows the doors off of Idina Menzel in the role)

Hamilton (x2)

I really do need to see more live. :)

Cats - 2x

The Nutcracker 

Spamalot

Phantom of the Opera

The Producers

Wicked

The Book of Mormon - 3x and I obtained a video recording someone filmed and watched it like 4 more times... it’s that good. You all REALLY need to watch it any way you can.

I think I’m missing one or two

Can’t wait to watch it tomorrow. Have some family down and will pack into my bedroom and blast my Atmos setup and enjoy it on the projector.

Musicals I have seen in Toronto

Rent

Into the Woods
Wicked

Avenue Q

Once on this Island

Beauty and the Beast

Bohemian Rhapsody 

Smokey Joe’s Cafe (Broadway school trip)

Evil Dead The Musical x2 (once in 4th row, 2nd dressed in white front row splatter section)

Dear Evan Hanson (last one I saw)

I skipped around and watched a few of the songs I like most and while it was cool to see the show...I feel like the sound mix is kinda bad which is kind of critical in a musical. The music overpowers a lot of the lyrics.

4 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I skipped around and watched a few of the songs I like most and while it was cool to see the show...I feel like the sound mix is kinda bad which is kind of critical in a musical. The music overpowers a lot of the lyrics.

The only moment I noticed was near the end of Schuyler Sisters. In general I felt like the mixing was similar to the cast album. LMM has always been conscious to mix the music louder than musicals typically do, which is why the show feels almost more like a concert.

I woke up and immediately opened Disney+ and hit play. It’s so good! I’ve already cried several times. I’m taking a break at intermission to take a shower, but I’ll return with more thoughts after I finish Act 2. If Act 1 is already making me emotional, I know Act 2 will just destroy me.

• Like 1

I finished it and wow, it was a powerful experience. Sure, it would have been amazing to see it live. Sure, it would have been nice to see this in a movie theater like originally planned. But even watching it by myself, sick, in the wee hours of the morning, I could still feel the power of the whole thing. It’s an inspiring work of art. It reminded me why I got obsessed with he show in the first place. I’m tempted to watch it again today.

• Like 1

Only like 25 minutes in but it’s awesome so far. It’s harder to understand them when the music kicks up and more people sing but I think that’s just part of the territory with this being an actual show. Otherwise everything has been perfect. 

20 hours ago, Emblazon said:

Musicals I’ve seen live:

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (x3, twice with Donny Osmond)

Jesus Christ Superstar with Corey Glover (Living Color) as Judas

Wicked (x2, once with Teal Wicks who, in my opinion, blows the doors off of Idina Menzel in the role)

Hamilton (x2)

I really do need to see more live. :)

THANK you. I saw Wicked with Teal Wicks in SF and not knowing really anything before seeing it, I was disappointed when I went to listen to the soundtrack album and heard Idina’s performance instead. :(

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I just don’t like the mix. It’s like Nolan and his whacky dialogue volume issues in certain films.

I think because you’re skipping around it’s harder to get lost in the production so it’s easier to pick apart what could have been done differently. There is one moment in the show that sounds ehhh, but otherwise I don’t hear what you’re hearing. The music is loud, but not overpowering. I don’t even notice it after five minutes.

Hmm, I've seen three Broadway shows all in SF, ranked as the following...

1) Hamilton

2) The Book of Mormon

3) The Lion King

I was super hyped for Hamilton and had pretty listened to the soundtrack non-stop for awhile and was able to see it relatively early in to its first SF run. It lived up to my sky-high expectations and then some.

The Book of Mormon was absolutely hilarious and I enjoyed every moment of that, still one of the best things I've seen.

The Lion King was great and the costumes, staging, set design are all fantastic, but it felt a bit samey to the movie so it isn't up there with the other two shows in terms of experiences.

Just finished my viewing and I very much enjoyed. I thought the staging was great, Atmos track was amazing, but I did some have issues with the sync. Some scenes were synced up with the video and the next camera cut was off by a half sec. I wonder if it’s because they filmed this over 2 nights (if I’m not mistaken) and might be why the issue shows up on my viewing. I almost cried near the end but I held it in like man I am (but it was awfully close) Now we need to get some more musicals streaming on whatever video format. 

6 minutes ago, silentbob said:

Just finished my viewing and I very much enjoyed. I thought the staging was great, Atmos track was amazing, but I did some have issues with the sync. Some scenes were synced up with the video and the next camera cut was off by a half sec. I wonder if it’s because they filmed this over 2 nights (if I’m not mistaken) and might be why the issue shows up on my viewing. I almost cried near the end but I held it in like man I am (but it was awfully close) Now we need to get some more musicals streaming on whatever video format. 

I’d kill for Wicked and Dear Evan Hansen. 

I actually have the TV movie version of Joseph if anyone wants it. It’s got Donny and is probably the best version you can get. 

Loved it, as I knew I would. I think part of what made this show such a phenomenon over the last 5 years is that the album feels like a complete experience. And it is, in a way, but there’s obviously a lot of things you miss in the live experience, and I thought this captured those moments beautifully. 

It was fun to see after having heard probably a dozen times start to finish. Some stuff doesn’t translate without the visual piece.

Also, it still amuses me that LMM is the worst singer in the show...by a lot. Leslie is the best <3

21 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It was fun to see after having heard probably a dozen times start to finish. Some stuff doesn’t translate without the visual piece.

Also, it still amuses me that LMM is the worst singer in the show...by a lot. Leslie is the best <3

Yeah, if I had to criticize one thing it’s that the main character is the worst singer (not that he’s bad). 

I really enjoyed seeing the acting to go with the music. 

Daveed Diggs is dynamic on the stage. Every time he came back I got excited. 

3 hours ago, Emblazon said:

I’d kill for Wicked and Dear Evan Hansen. 

I actually have the TV movie version of Joseph if anyone wants it. It’s got Donny and is probably the best version you can get. 

Well Wicked was suppose to of been filmed this year I thought for Universal, but Covid will probably delay that again. Ben Platt has already expressed interest in returning to do the film version of DEH (which seems like it might be getting a film soon) I would love to see a stage showing of Little Shop of Horrors, but I just hope the new film doesn’t ruin the classic. It is probably one of, if not, my favourite musical. I remember my first musical experience was a PBS showing of Into the Wood in the late 80’s, early 90’s. I guess I’ve been sort of hooked since then.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Yeah, I think I preferred Michael Luwoye as Hamilton, he was absolutely dynamic.

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

The irony is that even his alternate, Javier Munoz, is supposedly a much better singer than Lin.

However, LMM wrote his character’s songs with his own strengths and weaknesses in mind. I still think Hurricane is a bit too out of his range though. But Lin does bring an earnestness to the role that goes beyond technical talent and is fitting of the character.

My wife and I watched it last night. It was sublime. It's hard to express just how much I enjoyed it. The music, the story, the acting, it was incredible.

I haven't seen much theater in my life, but this has definitely sparked an interest. Are other popular musicals available in similar formats? Either in a fixed position or film-style?