~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:
0334126d-9957-4676-bd60-9d049d94aaef_114
WWW.THV11.COM

Researchers at UAMS have identified a potential reason for why some COVID-19 long-haul patients continue to see symptoms longer than others.

In a press release, UAMS said the antibody causes problems for the immune system by attacking an enzyme the body's response to COVID-19. The "attacking antibody" interferes with the enzyme's work.

Researchers found that 81% of blood samples taken from patients with a history of COVID-19 in Arkansas and Oklahoma had the antibody that attacked the enzyme. They tested for the antibody in 67 patients who were infected with the virus and 13 with no history of infection.

“If we show that the whole hypothesis is right, that this interference of ACE2 really does cause long COVID, then it opens up many potential treatments,” Arthur said. “If our next steps confirm that this antibody is the cause of long COVID symptoms, there are medications that should work to treat them. If we get to that phase of research, the next step would be to test these drugs and hopefully relieve people of the symptoms they're having.”

Alright - this is a promising research avenue!

That letter is just so fucking nuts. It reads like something a homeless man would hand you on a street corner.

It's just completely and totally disconnected from the actual reality of the real world.

People are really this demented? I mean, I know people are, but military officers? Yikes...

4 minutes ago, ort said:

That letter is just so fucking nuts. It reads like something a homeless man would hand you on a street corner.

It's just completely and totally disconnected from the actual reality of the real world.

People are really this demented? I mean, I know people are, but military officers? Yikes...

tenor.gif

latest?cb=20200319011259
VILLAINS.FANDOM.COM

Brigadier General Jack D. Ripper is the main antagonist of the 1964 black comedy film Dr. Strangelove (or how I learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb). He was Captain Mandrake's supervisor and the Strategic Air Command General who blamed the Russians for contaminating his "precious bodily fluids" and ruining his sexual performance and was convinced they were planning a sneak attack. He was...

I'd say this pretty much puts paid to the notion of generalized booster shots for the time being:

106929747-1629295956971-gettyimages-1234
WWW.CNBC.COM

While Covid vaccine effectiveness against mild disease may wane over time, protection against severe disease may persist, the scientists said.

An expert review of scientific evidence to date has concluded that Covid-19 vaccine booster shots are not needed at this time for the general public, a group of leading U.S. and international scientists said Monday in the peer-reviewed journal The Lancet.

The conclusion by scientists, including two senior Food and Drug Administration officials and the WHO, came as studies continue to show the authorized Covid vaccines in the U.S. remain highly effective against severe disease and hospitalization caused by the fast-spreading delta variant.

While Covid vaccine effectiveness against mild disease may wane over time, protection against severe disease may persist, the scientists said. That’s because the body’s immune system is complex, they said, and has other defenses besides antibodies that may protect someone from getting seriously sick.

I hadn't really thought about this. If you had a Class B, why would you risk a COVID exposure driving school buses around when you could totally be driving a truck for like Amazon? I guess we now know if anyone else did that math.

haverhill2.jpg?w=1024
BOSTON.CBSLOCAL.COM

The Massachusetts National Guard has been activated to help with the state's shortage of school bus drivers.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It is one thing to have had no good plans for the 20-21 school year, but all these school districts being so unprepared for 21-22 is something else entirely.

In Massachusetts, blame our Republican governor and crazy anti-vaxxers across the country. Don't look at me. I didn't vote for him.

A bunch of school districts wanted to continue offering remote learning, but his need to free parents up and get them back into the workforce overruled the will of parents, teachers, and districts across the state. Had half the student population been remote, there would be enough drivers to make things work out. If anti-vaxxers hadn't forced the delay of the approval of the vaccines for children under 12, there would be a ton of vaccinated kids right now which wouldn't have scared off drivers.

With that much out of there control, there's no way school districts can overcome this hurdle. Their budgets can't compete with Amazon and UPS. They also can't just will more Class B drivers that are fine dealing with a roudy bus of kids spreading germs everywhere into existence. Doubly so for the coming winter months where driving the bus with windows open will be torture.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It is one thing to have had no good plans for the 20-21 school year, but all these school districts being so unprepared for 21-22 is something else entirely.

Working for a school division in a province that is run by a conservative government, I can 100% say that it's because of government, not school divisions. Our government creates no plans that are opposed to its ideological narrative, so when a situation arises that is "unexpected" (according to the ideology), they are caught flat-flooted. Since school divisions here need government plans and funding, that meant the divisions were not able to budget or make plans properly, and now are massively behind.

29 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

They didn't think the plandemic would be renewed for the 21-22 school year. :silly:

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

There are a bunch of anti-vaccine mandate protests taking place at hospitals across Canada today. Rumours (leaked from twitter posts from planned participants) is that they may try to gain entry to some of the hospitals to "prove" that COVID is fake, and that the ICUs are empty.

Luckily in toronto they're not ****ing around and police are staged around the entrances of hospitals. At least what I see on twitter it doesn't feel like a very large group compared to the usual weekend protest groups.

4 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

There's been a lot of districts here that have had kids show up at 10:30 or later because the buses just aren't showing up due to lack of drivers.

busing is a major issue around here too, they had to postpone the entire first day of classes because of it

8 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'd say this pretty much puts paid to the notion of generalized booster shots for the time being:

106929747-1629295956971-gettyimages-1234
WWW.CNBC.COM

While Covid vaccine effectiveness against mild disease may wane over time, protection against severe disease may persist, the scientists said.

I feel like the fact that the two US officials involved in the study are the FDA officials that quit is a pretty huge story that is hidden in most of the articles I have read today.