~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

10 hours ago, sblfilms said:

What made the HIPAA line blow up suddenly?

You can thank Marjorie Taylor Greene and her response from a Q&A with reporters from earlier this week. She was asked if she has taken the vaccine and said they weren’t allowed to ask her as she was protected but HIPAA.

Ugh. Just cancel the damn games. Tell me again why people are against vaccine passports? One of the MPs here, Roman Baber, who got kicked out of the Ford government for his covid bullshit, has been against vaccine passports and saying they don't work. My friend has been reposting him on his stories on Instagram which is making me think my friend hasn't even gotten his vaccine. 

• Guillotine 1

Vaccine passports would work and that is exactly why people don’t want them. I mean, even without the actual system in place when Macron said that unvaccinated people were banned from certain places, they nearly over night had 4 million sign ups for vaccine appointments. People like to talk tough, but if the government were to actually aid in enforcing restrictions on unvaccinated people are lot more people would go ahead and get the shots.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Vaccine passports would work and that is exactly why people don’t want them. I mean, even without the actual system in place when Macron said that unvaccinated people were banned from certain places, they nearly over night had 4 million sign ups for vaccine appointments. People like to talk tough, but if the government were to actually aid in enforcing restrictions on unvaccinated people are lot more people would go ahead and get the shots.

Exactly. Most people talk tough, but they will submit to authority almost all the time, even out of just sheer convenience.

5568.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Chaotic scenes in Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Brisbane as protesters demand end to lockdowns

Something like only 15% of Australia has been vaccinated at this point due to the government's ineptitude at procuring vaccines (basically didn't want to pay what companies were asking, and thought a local vaccine could be developed), and now they will likely be waiting until October until they can ramp up large-scale vaccination. In the meantime, the usual crowd is restless about restrictions and are starting protests (despite Australia being the poster child for restrictions working very well). I don't blame people for being tired of restrictions...but unless you've got the vaccines ready, there isn't an alternative for preventing an overflow of the ICU system that will result from re-opening and allowing the virus to spread.

8 hours ago, sblfilms said:

You're right most people would just comply especially when it's such an easy thing to do to get a shot that will keep you safer. People talk tough but when push comes to shove they cave. It's like the people who oppose gun buyback programs; they'll holler and moan about the government taking their guns, but if a certain model is banned, and a buyback is issued for anyone who owns one, when they come knocking on their door those people will give them up because what's the alternative, resist and shoot the cops? 

For reference this was the post I was talking about that my friend reposted from Baber. You know you fucked up when even Doug Ford kicks you out of the caucus. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRq7jQQAdXe/?utm_medium=copy_link

With how contagious this Delta variant is I don't think measures that worked before are gonna stop it. It might slow it down for a bit but once it starts geometrically expanding it will be a runaway train. 

Even countries like Japan and South Korea which have a much more cooperative population are struggling to contain it.

Vaccines are the only hope.

10 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

With how contagious this Delta variant is I don't think measures that worked before are gonna stop it. It might slow it down for a bit but once it starts geometrically expanding it will be a runaway train. 

Even countries like Japan and South Korea which have a much more cooperative population are struggling to contain it.

Vaccines are the only hope.

At this point I believe the unfortunate reality is that most kids under 12 in the world (including USA/Canada, etc) are going to catch it because people are "tired" of being cautious (not that I don't recognize there are real issues with keeping kids locked up at home, etc). God help us if there are long-term consequences to cognitive function, etc, even very slight effects.

My niece was over this evening. She is a pediatric ICU nurse and works at the top pediatric hospital in Houston. She mentioned that the last couple of months they’ve been short staffed and are now short of beds, but not because of Covid. It’s because of RSV. Apparently they are seeing Winter like case loads for RSV which they simply have t been prepared to handle. This is pretty concerning with the Delta wave still growing.

Just wanna thank @CitizenVectronfor posting the Twitter long hauler stuff, cause you can count me and my mom in that group. We have been battling the nausea and headaches this past week again, some bad moments, but not the worse we’ve had either. Plus this week we have both had what we call “verbal diarrhea” You are trying to say one thing and then you either mumble it together to sound like nothing or you just go blank and forget your train of thought completely. I’m fully vaccinated and was hoping this would of been long gone, like some other long haulers who got fully vaccinated. Local hospital has a doctor who might be trying a long hauler study and looking for volunteers. We just might sign up and volunteer 

• Like 2