~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

23 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

My older brother and his wife got their first Pfizer doses on Friday.

Now that nearly everyone in my immediate family is at least partially vaccinated, we're thinking about getting together for Mother's day or Memorial day.  Would be our first big family get-together in over a year.

my family is getting together May 15th for the first large gathering since Christmas 2019. By then everyone will be at least two weeks past getting their second shot. 

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

She must have talked to @sblfilms

I wore them indoors before the mandates 😎 I also closed my indoor theater before required because caution is warranted absent data. I’m just not worried about microscopically low risk activities, unlike certain people on this board :p 

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Ontario laying out rules for triage :(

These sort of things were bandied about often in the US at various times last year and I don’t think they ever actually were implemented, and many places had worse situations than you guys are under at this point. Keep hope alive.

Just now, Joe said:

Big if true

You know, now that you mention it, my wife has been having basically light period bleeding for literally a month now which is the post vaccine dose 2 time period. She has a hysterectomy scheduled to address a fibroid she’s had for a while, but this is a particularly odd episode for her...

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

I merely posted it for the absurdity of "bleeding around vaccinated women," but that is nuts!

LOL, yeah, THAT part is kooooky. And I’m sure mostly just coincidence on the wife’s issues, but interesting to see other people allegedly having the same issue with the same timing. Obviously humans are pattern seekers and so we can often make connections that aren’t really there!

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

At my meeting today my mask DEFINITELY came in handy when my biz partner spun some of her bullshit on the COTA people and I had a big stupid grin when they went for it :lol:

Before I was fully vaccinated, I would always go out wearing a form fitting N95 mask... and it sucked big time.

Now I'm wearing either a regular cloth mask or one of those flimsy light blue hospital style disposable ones... and what the hell man. It's like some sort of dream come true. It's 10 times more tolerable.

I was always somewhat sympathetic to the whole "masks suck!" line of thinking, because, wearing one of those for hours really did suck.

But anyone complaining about wearing a cloth or flimsy disposable mask is a total fucking diaper baby. Like, this is what they were bitching about the whole time? These flimsy comfortable things that feel like basically nothing?

The whole situation makes me even madder as time goes on.

Just now, ort said:

Before I was fully vaccinated, I would go out wearing a form fitting N95 mask... and it sucked big time.

Now I'm wearing either a regular cloth mask or one of those flimsy light blue hospital style disposable ones... and what the hell man. It's like some sort of dream come true. It's 10 times more tolerable.

I was always somewhat sympathetic to the whole "masks suck!" line of thinking, because, wearing one of those for hours really did suck.

But anyone complaining about wearing a cloth or flimsy disposable mask is a total fucking diaper baby. The whole situation makes me even madder as time goes on.

It's uncomfortable because it works!

I use a KN95 that was highly rated by the FDA and it's suspiciously comfortable lol. But it's only about a dollar and change per mask.

18 minutes ago, Joe said:

I always found the criticism strange just based on the efficacy math. Turns out it was the best way forward and other nations are now starting to delay dose 2 as well. Good for them.

3 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

The dose sparing strategy worked out but there were a lot of unknowns at the time and its understandable to play it safe and follow the trials as conducted.

I mean are we actually following the trials as conducted? We don't give the doses at exactly 21 and 28 day intervals, for example. I joke about that as a schtick, but people smarter than you and I concluded that it was extremely reasonable to not be super precise with the 2nd dose date and give 4 or so days leeway. Same thing with the single shot strategy. It's not like some dude just threw it out there for shits and giggles. 

The dose sparing strategy worked out but there were a lot of unknowns at the time and its understandable to play it safe and follow the trials as conducted.

The efficacy of a single dose was better than pretty much any of the vaccines we use in modern times. There wasn’t anything unknown about a single dose with a second at a date to be determined that wasn’t also unknown about two doses spaced close together, mainly the length of time the protection lasts.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

It's not like some dude just threw it out there for shits and giggles. 

Yeah, it wasn’t like it was just BoJo spitballing...at least I don’t think it was

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The efficacy of a single dose was better than pretty much any of the vaccines we use in modern times. There wasn’t anything unknown about a single dose with a second at a date to be determined that wasn’t also unknown about two doses spaced close together, mainly the length of time the protection lasts.

1) We didn't know that at the time

2) We didn't know how long the protection would last. There was a scenario that the efficacy would drop off and we would be at square one.

1) We didn't know that at the time

2) We didn't know how long the protection would last. There was a scenario that the efficacy would drop off and we would be at square one.

1. Yes, they did know that when they decided to delay dose 2. That was the basis for doing it!

2. We don’t know how long the protection lasts for either the label dosage or going with delayed second dose, but there was good reason to believe the delayed second dose strategy would provide enough protection to squash the virus. And they seem to be right.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

1. Yes, they did know that when they decided to delay dose 2. That was the basis for doing it!

2. We don’t know how long the protection lasts for either the label dosage or going with delayed second dose, but there was good reason to believe the delayed second dose strategy would provide enough protection to squash the virus. And they seem to be right.

They didn't know it. They took a chance based on what they thought but the data didn't come in till months later. 

39 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I always found the criticism strange just based on the efficacy math. Turns out it was the best way forward and other nations are now starting to delay dose 2 as well. Good for them.

So, when Canada was falling behind in doses in January, Conservatives were saying we were doomed, and that we wouldn't be vaccinated until 2030. Now that we are dosing at the same rate as the US (and are 2nd or 3rd in the G20 for total people with at least a single dose), they are changing their tune to "but Canada is now 47th in total vaccination." Bitch, total vaccination doesn't matter as much as the single dose, provided you still administer the second dose at some  point. Getting the first dose to 80% of people matters waaaaay more than getting two doses to 40% of people (in the same timeframe).

41 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

They didn't know it. They took a chance based on what they thought but the data didn't come in till months later. 

The UK looked at the data in the AZ trials, as well as the mRNA vaccines, and recognized a pattern that was highly suggestive that a single dose provided ample protection and as such delaying the second dose was a good idea. The first big block of data out of Israel came out in the second week of January, only roughly 4 weeks after the UK began dosing.

I think the disconnect here is that the trials did not attempt to ascertain efficacy after 1 dose, but that doesn't mean there was no data to suggest the answer to that question in the process. There was, which is why the UK went the route they did. They had good reason to believe what they did, it wasn't like the accidentally came upon a good strategy.

4 hours ago, Joe said:

I mean are we actually following the trials as conducted? We don't give the doses at exactly 21 and 28 day intervals, for example. I joke about that as a schtick, but people smarter than you and I concluded that it was extremely reasonable to not be super precise with the 2nd dose date and give 4 or so days leeway. Same thing with the single shot strategy. It's not like some dude just threw it out there for shits and giggles. 

I think it was always obvious that +/- a day was fine. I think everyone figured even a week or two of delay on the second dose was fine. The real uncertainty was on how long dose 1 immunity would last and if you could still get the booster effect from it with the second shot if you waited too long.