Rumor: New Nintendo Switch Model in 2020

Brian

If I could play BoTW2 at 1080p+ docked, I'd be down.

12 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Any games that are really going to push the graphical limits of the Switch are probably going to be available for other platforms anyway. I think I'll be fine with my Gen 1 model.

Xenoblade 2 (and Torna, I presume) is one of the biggest offenders from a 1st party standpoint.  Undocked can look like a mess, with sub 480p lows for 3d elements and an ugly sharpening filter:

akT7UNN.png

If BoTW2 tries to push things much further than the first game, it could run into similar problems.

20 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Part of me wants to say that it was due to being a launch title. Hopefully future releases will come with a better handling of the hardware.

Technically, it came out a year after launch.  From a developer that was previously known for pushing hardware limits, but in a very good way.  Xenoblade on Wii and Xenoblade X on Wii U might be the best looking games on their respective systems, depending on what you value.

X's image quality is still better than 2's docked, which is mind boggling.

I was very wrong about how popular the Switch would become, but I do stand by my initial criticism that Nintendo should have waited and put in a better chip. 6 months and they could have had a much more powerful console, but now they're going to be stuck supporting the underpowered first gen for a long time.

I just don't expect much from any update. There is a lot they could do, but they clearly don't need to push it much, so I don't believe they will.

I'd be up for a pro, but then again I'm up for console hardware refresh cycles that are no longer than 3 years between units. I realize that with the PS4 Pro and XB1X that is exactly what we got, I'm referring specifically to Nintendo joining this club. I really wanted the Vita to be more successful, so the Switch is, for me, its successor. I would love a portable series that can at least handle lower res/graphics ports of each year's major games as well as its first party titles, and the switch will need a 50% power boost and RAM upgrade if it wants to keep having that option in any form. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I'd be up for a pro, but then again I'm up for console hardware refresh cycles that are no longer than 3 years between units. I realize that with the PS4 Pro and XB1X that is exactly what we got, I'm referring specifically to Nintendo joining this club. I really wanted the Vita to be more successful, so the Switch is, for me, its successor. I would love a portable series that can at least handle lower res/graphics ports of each year's major games as well as its first party titles, and the switch will need a 50% power boost and RAM upgrade if it wants to keep having that option in any form. 

Even a Switch Pro would be obsolete for that within 2-3 years because of next-gen.  That's like, only slightly better than then Wii U had it.

Just now, crispy4000 said:

Even a Switch Pro would be obsolete for that within 2-3 years because of next-gen.  That's like, only slightly better than then Wii U had it.

Yup, which is why there would have to be a Switch 2 by late 2021 or early 2022! Console hardware needs a refresh about once every 3 years now. 

7 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yup, which is why there would have to be a Switch 2 by late 2021 or early 2022! Console hardware needs a refresh about once every 3 years now. 

Second thought, if this releases mid-year, I'd give it a 1.5 year lifecycle for AAA ports, tops.

Nintendo hardware is always going to be behind the curve.  But maybe by the time we get to Switch 2, we won't see dips to 480p (and below) to run modern stuff.  This gen, it's just too low for me to care, and this revision could only be a temporary band-aid.

If the Switch was a bit more powerful to begin with, I don't think I would consider upgrading until the successor.

36 minutes ago, Enlityn said:

They apparently haven't been receiving my letters. Make a Switch Lite Lite- smaller, sexier, and have it fit in the pockets of a slim straight pair of jeans (you know the ones), and I'm all on board. 

Nah man, a portable shouldn't be portable, buy a bag for it! That's what all the hipster gaming sites said about the Switch at least.