The Root: Pete Buttigieg is a lying MF

Here's my problem. Claiming PoC don't do well in schools because of a lack of better role models is no different than the old broken homes story. I'm not sure I'd spin that into calling Mayor Pete a liar, but it's not like this is some secret perception rich white folks have of poor minorities.

5 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Here's my problem. Claiming PoC don't do well in schools because of a lack of better role models is no different than the old broken homes story. I'm not sure I'd spin that into calling Mayor Pete a liar, but it's not like this is some secret perception rich white folks have of poor minorities.

Right - that's what I mean in my contention that the article doesn't support its premise that Mayo Pete is a "liar" as much as it does the premise that he has no goddamned idea about the real issues facing poor minority communities.

And that alone is disqualifying for him as a candidate.

5 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Right - that's what I mean in my contention that the article doesn't support its premise that Mayo Pete is a "liar" as much as it does the premise that he has no goddamned idea about the real issues facing poor minority communities.

And that alone is disqualifying for him as a candidate.

He's literally an ivory tower LiBeRaL

Good role models are necessary, generally, but I don’t think they function in the way Pete thinks.l based on this clip. I do think it was helpful for me and my brothers to have so many family members on our mother’s side who were college graduates, about 80% have at least a bachelors. It normalized that path. On my dad’s side of the family, I have 7 aunts/uncles and 50 cousins. 8 are college graduates, 4 of them being my brothers and I.

But I can think of many more important factors in our educational attainment and career success relative to the one set of cousins than the educational role model issue.

38 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Yes, I certainly did.

I'm going to have to read it again because I don't think it really supported its premise effectively in regard to Mayo Pete which is a separate issue than its well-supported premise of the institutional deprivation of education in black communities.

I agree. It's hard to say that Mayor Pete actually did know that he was lying or if he was just that ivory tower removed to know any better, especially in a clip from eight years ago. He was four years removed from college, having only worked at a big consulting firm, and hadn't yet worked in government at all. Not that it's necessarily an excuse, but it's hard to say that he was just lying. If he doubled down on it now, I might agree.

The clip is too short for me to tell, but is Pete actually saying it's a role model adjacent issue? I can see how that might be what he's saying, but I parsed it as saying the issue is that education isn't working for black people, which is entirely different.

Any further context?

Pete is a real piece of shit. He tries to talk to Tea Party people, the nerve, and now he made a reductive comment about education which no other politician has ever done! The rest of them are all spot on analyzing the issue.  He smokes dope with Zuckerberg and laughs about how elite he is compared to others despite his 6 figure net worth.  He is not qualified to be president, but a 77 year old straight white man that just had a heart attack and regularly spoke about nationalizing most of the U.S. economy when he was younger is not only qualified, but the most qualified person to ever run for the president. Pete is also a racist.

Sorry this was really rude and snarky, but it does seem like Pete is being held to an impossible standard here. If you look at Warren's early history or Bernie's, they have done and said things that are questionable too. So has everyone else running for president.

I would agree with people here that he does seem full of himself and elitist and is probably in it for his own ego and self, but I don't mind that because I assume that about everyone except Bernie (who is sincere and means well). I expect the president to be elite, but not elite in the way that Trump is. 

I don’t dislike Pete, but he really lost me in one of the debates with his college plan. He said something like “the middle class shouldn’t pay for the college education of kids from wealthy families” which is just so many types of stupid: they can already go to state/local elementary and high school tuition free, just like any other kid, but the wealthy usually send their kids to tuition based prep schools anyway. Tuition from state colleges being tax payer funded shouldn’t be based on income, it should be treated like high school or elementary school. Non-state colleges will still charge tuition.

So I read the article and it's follow up where Pete calls him to discuss the topic and it does a better job of explaining why he called Pete a "lying mother fucker". In summation it's because he thinks Pete is being intellectually dishonest when he blames the lack of role models for the problems with black students in the educational system. This author is being sensational in the way that infuriates the ever living FUCK out of me but he's not wrong. We're WAAAAY past the point where white people can try to sell black people on the pull yourself up by your bootstraps bullshit when all of the data out there tells you that black people's boots often have no straps and are filled with lead... yet we persevere anyway because that's what we do. The whole reason I talked to my buddy who is working on the campaign yesterday was because I was giving him shit for the campaign's screw up with the photo of "African Americans" on his website that was actually taken in Kenya :p I told my friend (who is White) that they should probably hire more black people so that they wouldn't have these kinds of problems. While he said that they actually do have quite a few black folks working on the campaign, this article and Pete's response to it show that he has a long way to go before he connects with black folks. And he should probably try and spend more time with them.