Twitter to end all political advertising

1 minute ago, 2user1cup said:

What if you just lie?  This is fucked up, now you can't tell the truth either since anything "political" won't be distributed. 

I'm not sure what you mean. Lie about it being political? They'll use some machine learning to figure out if something is political or not, and if you get caught you probably get kicked off. It certainly stops the major advertisers.

As far as distribution is concerned, your regular accounts will still get the same reach they always would, you just can't pay to boost it. This isn't kicking political content off the platform, just advertisements.

Just now, TwinIon said:

I'm not sure what you mean. Lie about it being political? They'll use some machine learning to figure out if something is political or not, and if you get caught you probably get kicked off. It certainly stops the major advertisers.

As far as distribution is concerned, your regular accounts will still get the same reach they always would, you just can't pay to boost it. This isn't kicking political content off the platform, just advertisements.

So Trump will still lie and the organizations that try to tell the truth are silenced. 

Silence, something about silence makes me sick!
Cause silence can be violent, sorta like a slit wrist
(If) the vibe was suicide, then you would push the button
But if ya bowin down, then let me do the cuttin!
Some speak the sounds, but speak in silent voices
Like radio is silent though it fills the air with noises
Its transmissions bring submission, as ya mold to the unreal
And mad boy grips the microphone, with a fistful of steel

1 minute ago, 2user1cup said:

So Trump will still lie and the organizations that try to tell the truth are silenced. 

How so? News organizations can still advertise.

2 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

Y'all think Jack-I-won't-ban-Nazis is doing it for the right reasons. It's a motherfucking trap. 

I think he's doing it out of pure self interest, as a way to avoid potential regulation. That doesn't mean that the outcome is necessarily bad.

37 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

Corporate news organizations can advertise and Jack gets to decide which non-profits are political and which messages should be shut down. Cool.

I don't know the details but a decent line would be the tax status of the organization purchasing the ad. Obviously not perfect but knocks a lot of it out. 

47 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

It would be sweet to see other social media companies (and media in general) fall in line with Twitter.  

This doesn't really solve the "meme-magic" problem though.

I'll be very happy to see YouTube go with the same policy...not that I see ads on YouTube, but that's beside the point.