Something is going down at Kotaku

AbsolutSurgen

4 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Deadspin was never solely a sports website, so they’re not off topic. Not to mention sports overlap all the time with bigger issues. It seems you’re finding no problem with the CEO, which is odd to me. 

The CEO decided they should be solely a sports site.  Arguing with your boss is rarely a good strategy for anyone.  The CEO was brought in because they were losing tons of money, and were already at significant risk of shutting down.

All of these sites may end up shutting down because of this - will anyone have actually won?

6 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The CEO decided they should be solely a sports site.  Arguing with your boss is rarely a good strategy for anyone.  The CEO was brought in because they were losing tons of money, and were already at significant risk of shutting down.

All of these sites may end up shutting down because of this - will anyone have actually won?

What is the point of having a site that restricts what made it a beloved site to begin with? Who benefits? Not this CEO, and then maybe next time he isn’t a pompous ass and listens to the people who actually do the fucking work to drive people to the site. 

You keep stating that arguing with your boss is a good way to get fired as if that is something people didn’t know. 

28 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Again, he didn't want them to talk only about sports to take the sure in some new, hyper-focused direction. That was always a bit to get them to stop complaining about the crazy number of ads that were pissing off readers.

Also, Deadspin was profitable. That's why those guys had now leverage here to complain about things. The entire problem with this entire collections of sites was that they wound up being bought by Univision that had no idea what it wanted to do with them after the Gawker fallout following the Hogan lawsuit. Deadspin was never a site that has issues attracting readers and the editors of Deadspin knew that and took advantage of that to the benefit of their writers. That's why, when internal issues popped up at Gawker, the long form essays about it would get featured on Deadspin and not, say, Gizmodo or Kotaku or Jalopnik.

You're seemingly just taking the CEO at his word here when there's literally no reason to.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

cuck

3 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Deadspin made money. They got fucked over by vulture capitalists trying to do a pump and dump.

This was obviously the play as soon as their CEO started hiring a bunch of his friends to senior and c-level positions that were never posted without even announcing it to the rest of the company.

Just now, RedSoxFan9 said:

Can’t say I’ve even been in a situation similar to the deadspin writers.

Anyways, your take is boneheaded and you should be embarrassed for posting it. :peace:

The boss is the boss, if you hate what they are doing you go find a new job. I have left jobs I have hated. If you want to continue to work at a business expect to have to do what they say. 

7 minutes ago, Chris- said:

There can be consequences for not listening to your bosses. Bosses can be idiots with no clue what they are doing. Those are not mutually exclusive concepts.

no argument here and if that boss is from capital asset management firm odds are high they will be idiots but they are still the boss. 

2 minutes ago, elbobo said:

no argument here and if that boss is from capital asset management firm odds are high they will be idiots but they are still the boss. 

Right. And personally, when it's 'capital asset management moron' versus 'good writer', my sympathy is with the latter.

6 minutes ago, elbobo said:

yes telling writers on a mostly sports focused site to only write about sports is exactly the same as raping your wife

Again...The only reason there was ever a "stick to sports" edict was to stop the writers from talking about any issues readers were having with the site. Deadspin has/had an entire section dedicated to non-sports content. It's no different than how Kotaku has a cosplay section you can just ignore. You can't successfully run a website in this day and age and pretend that all the complaints posted in every comment on every story doesn't exist. Also, if the boss is clearly planning to pump and dump the company you work for, you should speak up and then quit. That's exactly what the Deadspin guys did.

43 minutes ago, elbobo said:

The boss is the boss, if you hate what they are doing you go find a new job. I have left jobs I have hated. If you want to continue to work at a business expect to have to do what they say. 

Jesus Christ.

I’ve now lost patience with anyone who thinks this is a thing they should say. 

You clearly have no idea wtf is going on. 

17 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Again, he didn't want them to talk only about sports to take the sure in some new, hyper-focused direction. That was always a bit to get them to stop complaining about the crazy number of ads that were pissing off readers.

Also, Deadspin was profitable. That's why those guys had now leverage here to complain about things. The entire problem with this entire collections of sites was that they wound up being bought by Univision that had no idea what it wanted to do with them after the Gawker fallout following the Hogan lawsuit. Deadspin was never a site that has issues attracting readers and the editors of Deadspin knew that and took advantage of that to the benefit of their writers. That's why, when internal issues popped up at Gawker, the long form essays about it would get featured on Deadspin and not, say, Gizmodo or Kotaku or Jalopnik.

You're seemingly just taking the CEO at his word here when there's literally no reason to.

I mean you’re arguing with a guy that said the recent Fallen Order launch trailer wasn’t and couldn’t be a launch trailer because the game hasn’t launched. So... thoughts and prayers.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I mean you’re arguing with a guy that said the recent Fallen Order launch trailer wasn’t and couldn’t be a launch trailer because the game hasn’t launched. So... thoughts and prayers.

No, I didn't say the couldn't call it a launch trailer (because clearly, they did).  I was making fun of them (and video game PR/marketing folks in general) for calling something a launch trailer that is released weeks before launch.

But, he wasn't arguing with me, he was arguing with @elbobo.

18 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I was making fun of them (and video game PR/marketing folks in general) for calling something a launch trailer that is released weeks before launch.

Yeah... I know.

18 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

But, he wasn't arguing with me, he was arguing with @elbobo.

He was quoting you.