America is under attack': Dem candidates call for gun control after shootings

11 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

Sadly it will be like whack-a-mole. It will just pop up someplace else. 

9 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Sure. But every time it is deplatformed it will likely lose users and garner a smaller audience. And that is a good thing.

The whack-a-mole approach did have a tangibly positive effect in frustrating the ability of jihadists to easily communicate/organize online.  It just requires a committment to continuous execution.

Regarding  Cloudflare's decision to drop 8chan, it was a different story exactly 24 hours ago:

And in a phone interview with the Guardian on Saturday night, Prince reiterated his belief that Cloudflare should not cease to provide services to sites such as 8chan based on their content.

“If I could wave a magic wand and make all of the bad things that are on the internet go away – and I personally would put the Daily Stormer and 8chan in that category of bad things – I would wave that magic wand tomorrow,” Prince said. “It would be the easiest thing in the world and it would feel incredibly good for us to kick 8chan off our network, but I think it would step away from the obligation that we have and cause that community to still exist and be more lawless over time.”

Someone got them to change their minds.

On 8/4/2019 at 7:49 PM, SFLUFAN said:

The whack-a-mole approach did have a tangibly positive effect in frustrating the ability of jihadists to easily communicate/organize online.  It just requires a committment to continuous execution.

It also worked well on Daily Stormer.

15 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

My understanding is they went back online not too long after. I would be interested to know if they really lost much of their user base.

They went back to a host who had previously banned them, who then promptly pulled the plug for circumventing the ban. 

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

They went back to a host who had previously banned them, who then promptly pulled the plug for circumventing the ban. 

Going through the wiki, it seems that they kept losing their domain name, so they kept switching TLDs until going to Tor in August of 2017. It was taken offline yesterday with 8chan when that host lost their provider.

So I imagine you're right. Going to Tor must have significantly reduced their traffic.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-cb-mass-shootings-language-definition-gun-violence-20190805-dv2g5lcumbeq3gji4dnycx7j74-story.html

The weekend shootings in Dayton, Ohio, and El Paso, where nine and at least 22 people were gunned down, respectively, clearly fits the term. But some readers wanted to know why two shootings on the West Side of Chicago over the weekend — one that injured seven people in Douglas Park and the other, just blocks away, that left one man dead and seven others injured — were not labeled as mass shootings. Here’s what some experts who study gun violence had to say about the issue:

Different organizations use a variety of measures to determine whether an act of gun violence meets the criteria of a mass shooting. The Gun Violence Archive, a nonprofit data collection group, employs a broad definition, characterizing every incident in which there are four people hurt or killed as a mass shooting, Executive Director Mark Bryant said. Yet other online databases that keep tabs on mass shootings use narrower criteria that differentiate injuries and deaths. The one maintained by the news organization Mother Jones defines a mass shooting as a single incident in which at least four people are killed in a public place.

How you define the term results in vastly different counts: The Gun Violence Archive has tallied 255 mass shootings in 2019 so far, while Mother Jones lists the number at seven.

Some databases also exclude gang-related or domestic shootings. Most counts also don’t include the shooters when they’re killed or injured.

6 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The whataboutism is great. So there were shootings in West Chicago too? All the more reason to have stricter gun control laws.

Assault weapons bans won't help alleviate the shootings in Chicago.  There needs to be large societal changes in Chicago and other cities afflicted with gun violence.

4 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

The societal change involves banning handgun ownership. 

Not going to happen for a lot of reasons.  

But we could lobby Congress and the states to enact other policies that would benefit minorities and minority neighborhoods.  Ending the war on drugs is a good start.  

8 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

But we could lobby Congress and the states to enact other policies that would benefit minorities and minority neighborhoods.  Ending the war on drugs is a good start.  

Nuking the second amendment from orbit would be a better one.

I’ll make a concession though. Ban all fully or semi automatic weapons.

10 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

They are super civilians with powers beyond that of a mere mortal civilian

If you're talking about demilitarization of police (taking back military surplus gear, basically getting rid of all guidance on black cars/uniforms/whatever from the feds, stuff like that) then yeah let's do that too

12 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Oh, well if you don't think so I guess we shouldn't even try to get there. 

• Haha 2