America is under attack': Dem candidates call for gun control after shootings

Just now, mclumber1 said:

I was at a store the day after El Paso and I got a look from a latino guy as if he was making sure I wasn't a crazy white nationalist.  I honestly don't blame him.  If I was targeted by a shooter (or an entire movement) because of my ethnicity, I would be wary of people who look like they belong to that group.

that can't be how you initially felt, right? i'd have felt uncomfortable in either role

24 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

My friend solved gun control: capitalism. 

Require gun owners carry liability insurance for wrongful deaths up to $1 million dollars per death as well as wrongful injury and cost of First Responders. Gun owners can either purchase insurance that's not underwritten from the Federal Government, or purchase a private underwritten plan. Private insurers would be forbidden from denying coverage but can set premiums based on risk models they develop. They can also develop risk reduction actions the gun owner can do to reduce their risk profile (take a safety class, be a Veteran, take a mental health evaluation). Instead of us trying to decide what is and isn't a risk factor, let's let the invisible hand figure it out. 

The invisible hand would make the rates for people who live in urban areas, like blacks and latinos, sky high compared to their white, suburban and rural counterparts.   A person living in these neighborhoods are going to be paying more than these people in these neighborhoods.

49 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

The invisible hand would make the rates for people who live in urban areas, like blacks and latinos, sky high compared to their white, suburban and rural counterparts.   A person living in these neighborhoods are going to be paying more than these people in these neighborhoods.

How many of those shooting in urban areas were lawful owned weapons? 

1 hour ago, Jwheel86 said:

My friend solved gun control: capitalism. 

Require gun owners carry liability insurance for wrongful deaths up to $1 million dollars per death as well as wrongful injury and cost of First Responders. Gun owners can either purchase insurance that's not underwritten from the Federal Government, or purchase a private underwritten plan. Private insurers would be forbidden from denying coverage but can set premiums based on risk models they develop. They can also develop risk reduction actions the gun owner can do to reduce their risk profile (take a safety class, be a Veteran, take a mental health evaluation). Instead of us trying to decide what is and isn't a risk factor, let's let the invisible hand figure it out. 

This idea has been kicked around forever. Forcing someone to do something hardly falls under the "invisible hand". And good luck with forcing insurers to cover people.

6 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Regardless of how lawful they are , insurance co. will see people in those areas as a larger risk due to the increase in chance of firing the weapon.

Sounds like a valid risk factor to me. If I own an AR-15 in an apartment complex and accidentally fire it killing my neighbor through the wall, I should be liable for that. The risk for that is lower in rural areas. Maybe the insurance company will reduce rates if you take a gun safety class. 

1 minute ago, SimpleG said:

This idea has been kicked around forever. Forcing someone to do something hardly falls under the "invisible hand". And good luck with forcing insurers to cover people.

Why's it work for car insurance? If we have so many safe and law abiding gun owners, they should be able to prove it with their wallets. 

16 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

How many of those shooting in urban areas were lawful owned weapons? 

Hardly any.  This would only affect those people who want to stay within the law.  You would effectively price poor people and minorities out of legal gun ownership.  

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

You know the government can require one set of insurance rates without those criteria that literally discriminate on the basis of race or ethnicity

2 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Why would I factor stats involving illegal guns into my pricing model? You're eliminating millions of customers that you can charge premiums. 

My boss lived in a  trailer park temporarily while his house was being built, and he had to pay twice as much in auto insurance as myself - it was a baaad neighborhood.  He just moved to a new neighborhood (gated community with low crime) so I wouldn't be surprised to see his premiums reduced drastically.

I find it hard to believe insurance companies wouldn't take overall crime rate and other factors in to determining what premiums a gun owner would have to pay.

13 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

My boss lived in a  trailer park temporarily while his house was being built, and he had to pay twice as much in auto insurance as myself - it was a baaad neighborhood.  He just moved to a new neighborhood (gated community with low crime) so I wouldn't be surprised to see his premiums reduced drastically.

I find it hard to believe insurance companies wouldn't take overall crime rate and other factors in to determining what premiums a gun owner would have to pay.

Or do those who are insured in that neighborhood present a higher risk to the insurance pool based on historical liability payouts? 

8 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

Or do those who are insured in that neighborhood present a higher risk to the insurance pool based on historical liability payouts? 

The bigger risk comes from having a gun in the house, period.

And all the "but but but never in my house/with my guns" idiots don't understand statistics or the effects of guns. Guns make domestic assault into homicide "easier", it makes a suicide attempt more likely to be successful, and access to guns makes these things possible. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The bigger risk comes from having a gun in the house, period.

And all the "but but but never in my house/with my guns" idiots don't understand statistics or the effects of guns. Guns make domestic assault into homicide "easier", it makes a suicide attempt more likely to be successful, and access to guns makes these things possible. 

Totally agree, which is why putting them on the financial hook for no real gun control should clear things up real fast. The gun manufacturing industry is going want the insurance cheap to maximize gun sales so I imagine many will start their own insurance companies, then they get hit with liability payouts and either have to raise premiums across the board or develop a model to filter out high risk sales to keep premiums low and sales up.

1 hour ago, Jwheel86 said:

Totally agree, which is why putting them on the financial hook for no real gun control should clear things up real fast. The gun manufacturing industry is going want the insurance cheap to maximize gun sales so I imagine many will start their own insurance companies, then they get hit with liability payouts and either have to raise premiums across the board or develop a model to filter out high risk sales to keep premiums low and sales up.

Owning a gun is high risk, there's no way around it.

5 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Owning a gun is high risk, there's no way around it.

No, it’s not. It is a relatively higher risk than not, but neither owning nor not owning are statistically high risk behaviors.

8 hours ago, sblfilms said:

No, it’s not. It is a relatively higher risk than not, but neither owning nor not owning are statistically high risk behaviors.

It actually is... statistics show that homes with guns in the house or more likely to have incidents of accidental shootings or a member of that family being shot than homes without. The gun lobby actively suppresses this data at the local, state and federal level.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It actually is... statistics show that homes with guns in the house or more likely to have incidents of accidental shootings or a member of that family being shot than homes without. The gun lobby actively suppresses this data at the local, state and federal level.

That is literally what I said :p

The relative risk of injury is higher in a home with a gun than a home that doesn’t, but the actual risk of injury in either case is very low. 

2 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

I wonder if we will see an uptick of attacks on synagogues by those eager to go after "disloyal Jews."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/08/25/alaska-school-shooting-threat-police-arrest-students-reported-plans/2116407001/

Alaska authorities arrested two 13-year-old students for planning to bring a gun to their school and shoot people, the Juneau Police Department said in a release. 

Officers took the juveniles into custody Thursday morning at Floyd Dryden Middle School after receiving a report the previous night, police said. It's among the latest in a string of arrests for mass violence threats since the back-to-back shootings earlier this month that killed 31 people in El Paso and Dayton, Ohio.

A classmate overheard the male students discuss the shooting plans, Juneau School District Superintendent Bridget Weiss told The Juneau Empire. The student's parents reported the threat to police.

Police questioned the juveniles before school began Thursday and arrested them for making terroristic threats, a felony offense in Alaska, according to the police department. Classes continued as usual, Weiss said, and the district emailed parents to tell them what happened. 

“We really want students to know there are significant consequences now to making threats like this,” Weiss told the Empire. “Words and pictures matter. They do indicate threat.”

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/man-woman-charged-after-loaded-gun-left-in-ride-share

recent arrest offers more evidence that Toronto is awash in guns.

Toronto Police say a bag left behind in a ride-share vehicle contained a loaded handgun.

Around 11 p.m. on Friday, police say a man and a woman put several bags into a ride-share car in the Eglinton Ave. W. and Dufferin St. area.

When they got to their destination, they left one bag behind.

The bag, which was turned over to police, allegedly also contained ammunition and cash. It is also alleged that the gun’s serial number had been tampered with.

Kingsley Dowrin and Vanessa Cosentino, both 19, face various firearms-related charges while Dowrin also is charged with two counts of failure to comply with probation and with recognizance.

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Can't wait for guns, legally bought in the US no doubt, to flood across the Canadian border, cause gun crime, and have conservatives here point to Canada and say "see? All them gun laws and still gun crime! #shallnotinfringe"

No way that happens. It's not like there's already a country to our south that's overrun with American guns.