Update: New Trailer for JoJo Rabbit -Taika Waititi's Hitler Comedy

The story follows an awkward young German boy (Roman Griffin) raised by a single mother (Scarlett Johansson), and whose only ally is his imaginary friend Hitler (Waititi).  His naïve patriotism is tested when he meets a young girl (Thomasin McKenzie) who upends his world views, forcing him to face his biggest fear.

How can this not be hilarious?

Also worth pointing out that as a Fox Searchlight film, this is now also a Disney movie. What a world.

• 1 month later...

I've got my TIFF tickets! 

1 hour ago, sexy_shapiro said:

The trailer looks great!

But apparently Disney execs are worried about how this could affect you brand. This movie was too far along for them to stop it, but this doesn’t bode well for future Fox Searchlight releases.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/08/disney-fears-taika-waititi-nazi-jojo-rabbit-edgy-studio-1202165495/

Gee Disney, if you were worried about your brand image, maybe you shouldn't have bought Fox! :rolleyes: I thought the whole point was so that Disney could start releasing more edgy material under the Fox label without directly associating it with the Disney brand. 

58 minutes ago, Brick said:

I've got my TIFF tickets! 

I would love to get TIFF tickets for this Do you know if they are still available? I guess I could check myself too

well only the monday showing I could attend at 10am but seems to be sold out. The other days I stuck out of town for my Brothers Wedding. Damn him

3 hours ago, sexy_shapiro said:

The trailer looks great!

But apparently Disney execs are worried about how this could affect you brand. This movie was too far along for them to stop it, but this doesn’t bode well for future Fox Searchlight releases.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/08/disney-fears-taika-waititi-nazi-jojo-rabbit-edgy-studio-1202165495/

too edgy for Disney? Yes. Seems perfect for Fox Searchlight

3 hours ago, silentbob said:

I would love to get TIFF tickets for this Do you know if they are still available? I guess I could check myself too

well only the monday showing I could attend at 10am but seems to be sold out. The other days I stuck out of town for my Brothers Wedding. Damn him

Yeah my girlfriend bought tickets for the Sunday night showing last night. 

17 minutes ago, sexy_shapiro said:

This was something that critics of the merger were afraid of from the beginning. Fox Searchlight is great and if Disney starts watering down their content then it will be a sad era for American cinema.

definitely agree it would be a shame if they drop Fox Searchlight, but hopefully they'll let it continue. I can't honestly imagine they are worried it would hurt the Disney image. I'm willing to bet 90% of the people out there don't even know that fox is now owned by Disney 

Ah fuck. I thought my girlfriend bought the tickets last night, but there was some miscommunication between us, so when she went to buy them now the website says they're sold out. I wonder when they actually sold out though. If they sold out today, and we could have bought them last night I'm going to be so annoyed with myself. 

All those Disney freaks that go to Disneyland 10 times a year will be OK if there is an edgy movie under Fox. I think it’s silly that Disney wouldn’t be okay with an edgy movie (I guess within reason). I think they’re more worried about a rated R movie under Fox losing money.

i mean Disney owns fuckin everything. What, JoJo Rabbit gonna make people so mad they go see an A24 movie instead of Toy Story?  

• 1 month later...

Went to see it last night and I thought it was perfectly enjoyable, but not extraordinary in any particular way. Despite the far more daring and bizzare premise, it actually felt a bit safer and more expected than something like Hunt for the Wilderpeople. It's never bad, and there are some good laughs, but I think Waititi struggled a bit to find the proper balance between the absurd and the serious, and ended up with something less ambitious than the premise would lead you to believe. I personally wanted it to go harder into the absurdity, because those were often the best moments.

Still, I continue to be impressed by how well Waititi works with children. JoJo is pretty good, and his friend Yorki is hilarious. While Jojo isn't essential viewing, it's entertaining and timely enough to be worthwhile.