HELP! I need some advice on how to handle a work thing

atom631

my company expanded and took over the suite next door to us, knocked out the walls and merged the spaces. they also put in these tinfoil-thick cubicles that act as amplifiers for just about every noise in the office. in the previous space, i was tucked away in a corner and had a lot of privacy. now im basically in the middle of everything.

my cube is next to the sales rep row. diagonally in front me is this new chick that they hired. shes really sweet and nice...but she has a mouth full of braces and SHE FUCKING SUCKS ON HER TEETH ALL DAY!!!!!! seriously, its every 3-5 seconds she sucks on them. at first i thought she was eating an apple and im thinking, there is no way shes eating all fucking day long. so i walked through the isle and struck up a fake conversation with a rep that sits across from her and watched... she is slurping on those fucking things and I CANNOT TAKE disgusting mouth noises like that. 

I have since been using earbuds and listening to spotify all day long, which isnt bad. The problem is as a sales engineer, I support the sales reps...and as we all know...sales reps are dumb. I have desk drivebys all day long. 5-8 of them an hour. So im constantly taking my buds in and out and I cant hear them coming. I also cant hear my phone ring since it sits to my side and I dont have room for it in front where i face. 

I am buddies with her manager so I said to him... dude - this chick is sucking her teeth all fucking day, its gross. and he was like yeah i went on a meeting with her and i was in the car and i noticed it too and it drives me nuts. Basically though he was like what do you want me to do? Completely spineless he is. He did say they are supposed to come out in a few months. I dont think I can take it that long. 

What the fuck do I do? I get to work from home usually 2 days a week but im thinking of upping that to 3-4, not sure if that will fly with my manager. I also thought about leaving an anonymous, typed out letter on her desk, but i feel like that will make her feel bad. its a habitual habit and i dont even know if she can break it. 

This may be the end of me. I may take my life in the office bathroom if I have to listen to this another minute. 

27 minutes ago, Pikachu said:

Can you ask to be moved to another part of the office?

hmmmm. these were assigned based on department. my row is "sales support" with sales next to us. i could maybe switch to the other side of the row. there is a girl who only comes in once a week. 

A couple of suggestions:

1. Get airpods. Keep one airpod in the ear closest to the sound and the other ear free to hear people coming and going. Plus the Airpods will ring or ding if you get a call or message. 

2. Get her gum or candy to chew on. It won’t stop her all day but should give you some reprieve. 

3. Get her fired

1 minute ago, Rachel said:

Yeah it’s like, a thing. I was relieved when I learned that there’s a name for it and other people experience it. I feel for you with what you’re trying to cope with at work man. I know how upsetting and completely infuriating it is. Hard to deal with that all day. 

theres only a few things that trigger me, and they are all mouth-related. 

heavy breathing, slurping/sucking noises. nail biting. sucking on teeth!!! vomiting.  even my when dog is licking her paw or something, i cant stand the sound of it. weirdly enough, burping doesnt bother me. 

15 hours ago, atom631 said:

holy shit, i have a condition!!! TIL

Nah it's not that. It's just sucking on your teeth is disgusting as hell. I have the same issue with a dude that sits in front of my desk at work. Dude talks to himself, smacks his mouth when eating anything and stomps his feet while humming to music. I have told him repeatedly to stop but it will for about a day or two and then it he just ends up doing again. I'm real close to bringing it up to HR because it's just so distracting. My current solution is just listening to music on my headphones.

19 hours ago, atom631 said:

theres only a few things that trigger me, and they are all mouth-related. 

heavy breathing, slurping/sucking noises. nail biting. sucking on teeth!!! vomiting.  even my when dog is licking her paw or something, i cant stand the sound of it. weirdly enough, burping doesnt bother me. 

I saw the worst nail biter at the grocery store a few weeks ago. He was a teen working the checkout register. His line was empty as my wife and I approached. He was turned away from us, biting the fuck out of his nail and didn't see us until I started putting things on the belt which startled him a bit. Half way through unloading the cart, while I was bagging, he turned away and again started biting his nail almost ferociously, then quickly turned back and continued scanning. When he was done scanning everything and I was swiping my card to pay,  he went right back to chomping away on his finger right in front of us. We were so grossed out. I sprayed Lysol into each bag when we got home. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

I saw the worst nail biter at the grocery store a few weeks ago. He was a teen working the checkout register. His line was empty as my wife and I approached. He was turned away from us, biting the fuck out of his nail and didn't see us until I started putting things on the belt which startled him a bit. Half way through unloading the cart, while I was bagging, he turned away and again started biting his nail almost ferociously, then quickly turned back and continued scanning. When he was done scanning everything and I was swiping my card to pay,  he went right back to chomping away on his finger right in front of us. We were so grossed out. I sprayed Lysol into each bag when we got home. 

Nail biting definitely bothers me but nail picking is the worst for me. As in when people pick at, say, their thumb nail's perimeter skin furiously with their other fingers and so on...that sound and usually deformed look of their nails makes me queasy as fuck for some reason. A woman in my office does this shit incessantly and it makes me supremely uncomfortable. 

1 hour ago, Rachel said:

Congrats, you have misophonia too. Mouth smacking, stomping, and humming are all triggers for it.

It's not even that, it's just annoying. I don't mind stomping if it's with rythym as I'm a drummer. Don't mind humming if it's the time and the place to hum. Mouth smacking can be down right sexy :daydream:. But at work that's not the place to hear any of that. 

Have you considered addressing the issue with her directly?  I know that it'll be very uncomfortable, but that's probably your best bet.  If you're considerate about how you approach the conversation, she'll probably adjust her behavior (or at least be more cognizant about when and where she does it), and you likely won't have to disrupt or threaten your working relationship with her.  If you're stuck sitting where you are for the near future, the least productive thing would be to do something that could breed hostility in your work environment.  You could also request to be moved, but it sounds like that might not be an option.