Mission: Impossible - Fallout Reviews and Tomatometer Watch

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mission_impossible_fallout

Currently at 97% with an 8.3/10 rating. 292 total reviews.

v1.bTsxMjc0MjEwMjtqOzE3Nzg3OzEyMDA7Njk2O

Critics Consensus: Fast, sleek, and fun, Mission: Impossible - Fallout lives up to the "impossible" part of its name by setting yet another high mark for insane set pieces in a franchise full of them.

A few select review from top critics: 

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-mission-impossible-fallout-review-20180712-story.html

https://slate.com/culture/2018/07/mission-impossible-fallout-starring-tom-cruise-reviewed.html

http://ew.com/movies/2018/07/12/mission-impossible-fallout-review/

I've heard a few people on twitter saying it's the best action movie since Fury Road. That's a hell of an endorsement. Even if it's not quite that good, at least it seems we've avoided another Quantum of Solace / Spectre scenario.

With this movie coming out, it's been nice to see so much praise for the Mission Impossible franchise. It' really is a bit of an oddity, but it's been consistently enjoyable and exciting. I'm happy that this one continues that streak.

On 7/13/2018 at 2:38 PM, TwinIon said:

I've heard a few people on twitter saying it's the best action movie since Fury Road. That's a hell of an endorsement. Even if it's not quite that good, at least it seems we've avoided another Quantum of Solace / Spectre scenario.

With this movie coming out, it's been nice to see so much praise for the Mission Impossible franchise. It' really is a bit of an oddity, but it's been consistently enjoyable and exciting. I'm happy that this one continues that streak.

What is odd about it? Tom Cruise only has a couple bad movies on his resume and I imagine generally rejects the role for any script he feels is bad (I really don't know why he accepted the role for The Mummy tbh). Honestly I am disappointed he doesn't diversify a little more playing it safe is his downfall but it is hard to argue against his action hero resume.

13 hours ago, DPCyric said:

What is odd about it? Tom Cruise only has a couple bad movies on his resume and I imagine generally rejects the role for any script he feels is bad (I really don't know why he accepted the role for The Mummy tbh). Honestly I am disappointed he doesn't diversify a little more playing it safe is his downfall but it is hard to argue against his action hero resume.

Maybe his agent did a good job selling the cinematic universe they were trying to go for, as though he could be that franchise's Tony Stark, making big money for even just small cameos. 

28 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Maybe his agent did a good job selling the cinematic universe they were trying to go for, as though he could be that franchise's Tony Stark, making big money for even just small cameos. 

That would be a good explanation for it and I bet you are right.

3 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

They were definitely trying to set his character up as the glue.

I just got all 5 MI movies on digital 4K. I re-watched the first one after having not seen it since the movies. It was better than I remembers (i hated it when i first saw it)...but man does it look so old and outdated. Its weird bc its not really that old. 

2 hours ago, atom631 said:

I just got all 5 MI movies on digital 4K. I re-watched the first one after having not seen it since the movies. It was better than I remembers (i hated it when i first saw it)...but man does it look so old and outdated. Its weird bc its not really that old. 

Mission: Impossible is over 22 years old. That's pretty fuckin' old for a film (I'm 31 years old). 

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation may be the best M:I movie. All of them are entertaining in their way, though all of them lack any real character depth or substance, they are fun action-espionage films. 

I look forward to a second go-around with writer-director Christopher McQuarrie. 

20 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Mission: Impossible is over 22 years old. That's pretty fuckin' old for a film (I'm 31 years old). 

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation may be the best M:I movie. All of them are entertaining in their way, though all of them lack any real character depth or substance, they are fun action-espionage films. 

I look forward to a second go-around with writer-director Christopher McQuarrie. 

Jurassic Park is 25 years old. It still holds up today. 

For some reason MI:1 looks likes its a movie from the mid-80s. 

13 minutes ago, atom631 said:

Jurassic Park is 25 years old. It still holds up today. 

For some reason MI:1 looks likes its a movie from the mid-80s. 

You think so? I think both look like movies from the 1990's. I think both hold up today, but both look like they are from the 1990's. 

Absolutely - Jurassic Park still looks great, esp the CGI. 

MI:1 just looks old and the sound is very 1 dimensional. Im not saying its a bad movie bc of it...it was just off-putting after not having seen it since it was in the movies. 

On 7/14/2018 at 5:42 PM, DPCyric said:

It's an odd franchise because it's an action series spawned from a TV show that completely threw away every possible relation to that show in the first 15 minutes of film. It's a series that has spanned six movies over more than 20 years and has been propelled almost exclusively by its star in an age when movie stardom matters less than ever. It's a series that started with a film by veteran Brian De Palma, had an entry by John Woo, was the vehicle for JJ Abram's first feature and Brad Bird's first live action film. It's a series where the box office success has been all over the place, from being De Plalma's and Woo's biggest successes, to being JJ's least impressive earner. It's a series that grew up during the rise of CG effects but has always put a premium on and really set the bar for physical stunt work. The MI franchise is an anomaly of modern movie making.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, atom631 said:

Absolutely - Jurassic Park still looks great, esp the CGI. 

MI:1 just looks old and the sound is very 1 dimensional. Im not saying its a bad movie bc of it...it was just off-putting after not having seen it since it was in the movies. 

I dunno if I agree. M:I plays like a great 1970's John Le Carre-lite spy thriller. On bluray I thought the film looked and sounded fine. Both show their age similarly I feel. 

8 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I dunno if I agree. M:I plays like a great 1970's John Le Carre-lite spy thriller. On bluray I thought the film looked and sounded fine. Both show their age similarly I feel. 

Haven’t watched the first MI in a while, but I remember the ending helicopter sequence looking rough. 

1 hour ago, Bataar said:

That's a tough one. It definitely has its low points. It's been years since I've seen 1 and 2, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say 2 was better than 1.

As much as I love M:I II, it's barely a real movie. M:I is very easily the better film. They are so different as to be barely comparable though.