The Outer Worlds - Information Thread, update - "Spacer's Choice Edition" announced for $60 ($10 if you already own base game + both DLC expansions)

3 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

That could be why the combat hasnt changed much. It took a back seat while they focused on great writing, fun characters, and interesting quests.

I'm ok with that.

Wouldn't it be wild if the guys writing the story weren't also somehow the same guys making the combat system? Likewise, if your combat is gonna suck, why not just skip having combat? If you're gonna gloss over something because another item is your focus, just don't add it to begin with. No one wants mediocre or shitty systems.

55 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Wouldn't it be wild if the guys writing the story weren't also somehow the same guys making the combat system? Likewise, if your combat is gonna suck, why not just skip having combat? If you're gonna gloss over something because another item is your focus, just don't add it to begin with. No one wants mediocre or shitty systems.

Judging from the reviews, apparently they're okay with it too.

2 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Judging from the reviews, apparently they're okay with it too.

Reviews have always been extremely forgiving of every piece of shitty design in Bethesda-style games. The only one to not get a pass was Fallout 76, and even that didn't get properly criticized for how vapid and lifeless the garbage-tier combat is. And then we get defenses like this that amount to "well the reviewer man said it was good" or "it solded a whoooole bunch" so the developers think: "Holy shit! They love our bad combat! We don't need to improve it at all! Fuck the haters!" and so the genre stagnates.

4 hours ago, Bacon said:

Really, it just depends on how good the story is. I mean, the stories in the ES games and FO games kinda suck, but the adventure is pretty fun.

As good as the adventure was in those games the combat always made it feel shallow somehow and never made me want to come back after a short while. Quickly had my fill no matter how good characters and writing was. But Dark Souls on the other hand, lore and story in background, excellent combat in the forefront and I can't get enough of that series. 

20 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

As good as the adventure was in those games the combat always made it feel shallow somehow and never made me want to come back after a short while. Quickly had my fill no matter how good characters and writing was. But Dark Souls on the other hand, lore and story in background, excellent combat in the forefront and I can't get enough of that series. 

That's exactly it. If only part of a game feels fleshed out, the part that isn't brings everything else down, only a little if it's a minor element, but combat takes up so much time in Bethesda games, it's not some secondary thing you can pretend isn't there. Luckily from some videos I've seen, the combat looks significantly better (if worryingly similar) to Fallout's combat. Less like you're fighting against a game that was never designed to have combat in it and more like you're playing an okay-ish FPS. Not incredible, but a big step up if that remains true. I'll take it, but I want more in the future.

15 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Well be able to play at 9 on the West Coast,  right?

4PM, my man! At least on PC.

I think my character will be a smooth talking scoundrel that is good with a gun and has some stealth ability... also good at getting others to do his fighting. I'm calling this "The Lando build".

EDIT: Console gamers wont be able to play until 9 at the earliest on the West Coast.  That's cool... gives me time to maybe put Control to bed. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think my character will be a smooth talking scoundrel that is good with a gun and has some stealth ability... also good at getting others to do his fighting. I'm calling this "The Lando build".

EDIT: Console gamers wont be able to play until 9 at the earliest on the West Coast.  That's cool... gives me time to maybe put Control to bed. 

In most games I almost always end up doing the stealth archer build (or sci-fi equivalent) since they are usually OP. But this time I am definitely doing the "Dumb but Beautiful" Han Solo archetype. I want people to love me as I blunder through horrible decisions and situations. Plus, I love that the game has proper dumb dialogue!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

One more thing - I hate when developers show off the first 20 minutes of a game or whatever, because they always use slow walk mode and play incredibly slow and boring. Show me actual realistic gameplay!

I don't know if we need to watch as they sprint to each corner of the room, hastily scanning for every tin can and piece of cheese they can cram into their inventory.

21 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

In most games I almost always end up doing the stealth archer build (or sci-fi equivalent) since they are usually OP. But this time I am definitely doing the "Dumb but Beautiful" Han Solo archetype. I want people to love me as I blunder through horrible decisions and situations. Plus, I love that the game has proper dumb dialogue!

It really goes to show you just how lazy Bethesda is. In Fallout 4 a 1 intelligence means absolutely nothing, you just get less skill points every level. In previous games you'd barely be able to speak and many dialog options and thus different ways to handle different situations would be unavailable to you. It will be nice to see what Obsidian can do going forward with a real budget and backing and not being rushed with a shit budget. 

As I understand it, developers in Game Pass tend to be VERY happy with Game Pass performance, so I wouldn't feel too guilty about getting it that way. They almost definitely get more money via buying it directly, but your individual slice of $60 won't be the dealbreaker, I'm sure. :p

It's good to know this game has proper dialogue options based on your stats. That's like the entire concept of Disco Elysium, watching Abby make a character with 1 intelligence and high physical attributes and then being shocked and offended that he was a retarded sex maniac is EXACTLY WHAT IT SHOULD BE.

Since MS owns Obsidian now I wouldn’t worry much about the giving money to the devs thing. They will be watching gamepass subs and downloads just as closely as full purchases.

Also you can play now on Xbox if you are using game pass and set your console to New Zealand.

• Shocked 1