Baldur's Gate III - Information Thread, update: Larian doesn't plan to release DLC/expansions for BGIII nor develop BGIV

4 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I'm gonna kick your ugly avatar until you go back to the Bastion one

how you like that

:(

Also boy is it if fun getting around with triple jump distance plus featherfall, just leaping off of cliffs and shit, halfway across the island. Just like the Divinity Original Sin games, the silly spells and freedom to do lots of dumb shit (like use Speak to Dead to talk to people I just killed or corpses I found) just makes the world infinitely more interesting.

Hard saving as soon as any dice roll completes as well. I will BURN THE PAST! Livin' with those mistakes!

Also every new party member gets mandatory genital inspections. Just preparing for our real life future!

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Bacon said:

While not nearly as funny, I tricked a bunch of bandits into thinking there was danger and got them to leave but when they had their backs turned I killed them.

Tricked them like you tricked me :feelsgood:

• True 2

I'm about 5-6hrs into the actual game (probably spent an 1hr in character creation. Also started with a Dark Urge character and then read its strongly advised to no chose that as a newcomer or a first playthrough, so i rerolled to just a custom character). So far, I'm loving it. I picked a Drow Ranger with the Beastmaster subclass. I have a wolf companion. and this was really cool:

Spoiler

I'm on my way to goblin camp to find the Druid and defeat the goblins so the refugees can have safe passage to Baldurs Gate... and bc I'm a Drow the goblins are kinda worshiping me so far and letting pass through without fighting them. 

I would say that while I love there isn't a ton of handholding, I wish there was a little more to explain the mechanics. As a relative newcomer to CRPGs, its overwhelming and Im really not 100% sure what I'm doing in combat and how the mechanics work. Like I dont get what Cantrips are. What rolling advantage is doing. Some of my weapon skills say "2 turns". Im assuming that means I can use it once every 2 turns? 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, atom631 said:

I'm about 5-6hrs into the actual game (probably spent an 1hr in character creation. Also started with a Dark Urge character and then read its strongly advised to no chose that as a newcomer or a first playthrough, so i rerolled to just a custom character). So far, I'm loving it. I picked a Drow Ranger with the Beastmaster subclass. I have a wolf companion. and this was really cool:

Hide contents

I'm on my way to goblin camp to find the Druid and defeat the goblins so the refugees can have safe passage to Baldurs Gate... and bc I'm a Drow the goblins are kinda worshiping me so far and letting pass through without fighting them. 

I would say that while I love there isn't a ton of handholding, I wish there was a little more to explain the mechanics. As a relative newcomer to CRPGs, its overwhelming and Im really not 100% sure what I'm doing in combat and how the mechanics work. Like I dont get what Cantrips are. What rolling advantage is doing. Some of my weapon skills say "2 turns". Im assuming that means I can use it once every 2 turns? 

Spells and Catrips

Different magic spells have different levels. Any given character has a number of "spell slots" for each level (well, you don't have any levels of higher level spells at first or any at all if you're not a magic user). You can cast any spell you know with the appropriate-leveled spell slot, but you don't get your slots back until you long rest. Because of that, you need to be careful about when you choose to use your spells and check how many slots you have left of each level. You can also usually "upcast" a spell. E.g., use a level 2 spell slot for a level 1 spell. When you do that, upcasting it usually means the spell is made more powerful based on how high of an upcast you did.

Cantrips are an exception: they are spells that don't require any spell slots to cast and they automatically get stronger as your character level grows.

Advantage

Many rolls, such as attack rolls, ability checks (e.g., deception, persuasion, insight, etc.) require you to roll a d20 to see if you can pass a difficulty threshold. Usually you also have some bonuses to your dice roll So it's the number the dice rolls + any bonuses you have. For example, when you attack, you will have some attack bonus (such as strength bonus for a melee attack) and the number you roll (plus bonus) must be higher than the opponents armor class to land. 

Bonuses are usually not that big especially early level. Maybe +5 or so. Consequently, failing is pretty common! However, when you roll with advantage, you roll two d20s and whichever d20 rolls the higher number is the roll you use. Disadvantage works the opposite way: roll two d20s and take the lowest roll.

2 Turns

This is something specific to BG3, not DnD, but yes I believe that means you can use it again in two turns.

• Halal 2

16 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

For those who have played both, how similar is this to Dragon Age: Origins? I've heard the two games being comnpared to each other. DA:O is one of my favorite games of all time so if I like DA:O would I like this?

I'd say so. Wish some things were more simple. Like, I hate how stealth works and I just want a normal turn invis for a sneak attack and so far I haven't noticed any backstab crits. Like I'd be willing to call this Dragon Age: Origins: Tactics. I'm pretty sure I would prefer the simplicity of DA:O over this tho. The biggest thing that makes it feel not like DA:O is how you can't just hit things. Kinda nuts how low some of the percentages get. I know there is the advantage system, not really sure how it works, but setting up advantage isn't a thing I care for, and aside from a few moments, I haven't really had an advantage outside of high ground and stealth. At times I wish I could just walk up and hit someone.

Also, it's annoying when a fight starts out with very poor rolls. I've restarted once or twice because literally nothing happened on my end due to poor rolls.

• Thanks 1

This is how I feel about a lot of spells and abilities in the game.

I once casted true strike from a character who wasn't in range to melee to a character who was. The character who was in melee range missed. I've used it once.

2 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

For those who have played both, how similar is this to Dragon Age: Origins? I've heard the two games being comnpared to each other. DA:O is one of my favorite games of all time so if I like DA:O would I like this?

I’m not sure about origins, but have you played Divinity OS 2? It feels very much like that but with dice rolls for conversations and DnD rules in battle. 

• Thanks 1

Also, I'm still not far at all into the game because I have restarted 4 times. I really should have stuck with my 3rd restart which was going fighter as it was a flawless experience. I was level 3 before I even made it to the attack outside of that one village on my fighter. I think I have nailed what I want now tho.

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'd say you'd like it. This is more hardcore than DA:O, but at the time DA:O was the closest thing to something as hardcore a full DnD ruleset other than the original BG games. So I have to imagine if DA:O was one of your favorite games that you like something more strategic with more focus on highly customized player experiences, which this does better than any other game.

I don't know if you've played DnD proper, but it's astonishing how closely they've matched the rule set with very few deviations. And the best part of their matching is how much they let all the different skills, classes, etc. shine. There are so many different ways to tackle situations and ways interactions can unfold.

The only thing that is maybe a variable is whether you'll like switching to full turn based vs the pseudo turn based of DA:O. I'm also a big fan of the Pillars games which are the pseduo turn-based games, but I prefer the full turn-based for something like this.

3 hours ago, Bacon said:

I'd say so. Wish some things were more simple. Like, I hate how stealth works and I just want a normal turn invis for a sneak attack and so far I haven't noticed any backstab crits. Like I'd be willing to call this Dragon Age: Origins: Tactics. I'm pretty sure I would prefer the simplicity of DA:O over this tho. The biggest thing that makes it feel not like DA:O is how you can't just hit things. Kinda nuts how low some of the percentages get. I know there is the advantage system, not really sure how it works, but setting up advantage isn't a thing I care for, and aside from a few moments, I haven't really had an advantage outside of high ground and stealth. At times I wish I could just walk up and hit someone.

Also, it's annoying when a fight starts out with very poor rolls. I've restarted once or twice because literally nothing happened on my end due to poor rolls.

The not hitting things is very true to form of DnD :p Bear in mind that the whole armor class system is based around increasing the odds of a miss, not reducing damage. Because of that, misses are common and you have to roll with it. A lot of the gameplay strategy comes down to thinking about how to manage that. For example, magic missle is not a lot of damage, but is a guaranteed hit. That can be really useful if you (1) just need to finish someone off or (2) need to break their concentration. Stuff like that.

But yeah, it can feel grueling in both this and proper DnD. We all have our stories of crit failing 4 times in a row :p  BG3 actually has "Karmic dice" on by default to bias things in your favor when you fail because it can feel rough.

Oh, I'll add that if anyone feels like the dice is painful get the Lucky feat. It's well known to be one of the best feats for any class in DnD proper and it works very well here. Basically, fail your roll? It will ask if you if you want to reroll it, and you get to do that 3 times every long rest.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Also, I'm still not far at all into the game because I have restarted 4 times. I really should have stuck with my 3rd restart which was going fighter as it was a flawless experience. I was level 3 before I even made it to the attack outside of that one village on my fighter. I think I have nailed what I want now tho.

Battlemaster fighter is a phenomenal class for newcomers. It's just plain good in general, adds a lot of combat options, gives you defense so you can't flub as easily and ist more stragihtforward in the mechanics. Things like getting your superiority dice back on short rest make it easier to think about.

• True 1

1 minute ago, legend said:

Bear in mind that the whole armor class system is based around increasing the odds of a miss, not reducing damage.

I knew that but had forgotten. It took me two dungeons to remember that. As in I just today remembered that lol.

And missing attacks isn't too big of a deal unless it is all at the start. Like I don't want to restart, but boy oh boy am I not sticking to the fight after one guy gets proned, another guy critical misses, and another just regular misses 2 chromatic orbs via the twinned spell metamagic. It's just like, yeah, nope, fuck that.

1 minute ago, legend said:

Battlemaster fighter is a phenomenal class for newcomers. It's just plain good in general, adds a lot of combat options, gives you defense so you can't flub as easily and ist more stragihtforward in the mechanics. Things like getting your superiority dice back on short rest make it easier to think about.

Yeah, I haven't messed with the dice yet but man fighter is so nice with just point-and-click-no-think. Missed? Oh, sorry, just let me action surge. If I wasn't so committed to being a Storm sorc cuz the RP sounds cool, I'd be playing fighter right now.

• Like 1

Also, I cannot stand the small/regular male body type. I'm not really wanting to be a muscle wizard, but I refuse my character to be so short 'n scrawny. I was hoping to make a fat lazy noble sorc who revels in indolence (I swear it's not a self-insert **he lied**)  but alas, muscle wizard it is then.

This game is on track to being a GOTY contender for me which is amazing because I absolutely adored TOTK which came out this year too. Both these games are like once in a generation kind of games, and they came out the same year. If it weren't for TOTK, I'd feel like it was already decided that this would be it.

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

Also, I cannot stand the small/regular male body type. I'm not really wanting to be a muscle wizard, but I refuse my character to be so short 'n scrawny. I was hoping to make a fat lazy noble sorc who revels in indolence (I swear it's not a self-insert **he lied**)  but alas, muscle wizard it is then.

In the Pillars games, the "Might" stat increases the power of a wizard's spells. Mostly it was an attribute mechanic reason, but Josh Sawyer (the lead dev) worked it into the lore that casting spells takes a toll on your body so that muscle wizards were common :p 

3 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It definitely channels DA:O in how dialogue works with a custom character and how it transitions to cut scenes. It’s like playing DA:O in isometric view more of the time, with D&D rules on top with turn based combat. It’s more accessible than something like Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous, but more complex than DA. Overall I’m loving it. 

7 minutes ago, legend said:

In the Pillars games, the "Might" stat increases the power of a wizard's spells. Mostly it was an attribute mechanic reason, but Josh Sawyer (the lead dev) worked it into the lore that casting spells takes a toll on your body so that muscle wizards were common :p 

Did you play Kingmaker and WotR? If you haven’t, I recommend them both. I’m a fan of Pillars too. 

5 minutes ago, legend said:

I can't remember what story I was reading, or maybe it was some kind of game mechanic, but in one story magic was extremely calorie-consuming. Mages were practically always eating and always hungry if they regularly used magic.

Anyway, thanks to WoW and my FFXIV character I know how to embrace the muscle wizard so I'm not really bent out of shape about it.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

Did you play Kingmaker and WotR? If you haven’t, I recommend them both. I’m a fan of Pillars too. 

I played a bit of Kingmaker. It wasn't quite as free feeling as this, but I ultimately fell off not because of that but because the story just wasn't gripping me. I might still give WotR a shot at some point though.

• Halal 1

The e-peen is definitely OP. My rolls are all on point. 

I will echo what atom said and wish there were more explanations. It definitely feels like the game expects you to know DnD rules and terms which is not the case for me. I also feel the Wizard class is definitely not the most beginner friendly class. I have no clue what I am doing during leveling. 

I am enjoying the game and rolling with the punches and not worrying about outcomes. First game in a long time where I won’t look anything up. I completed the cathedral. Back to exploring. 

The biggest mistake I made was taking debuffs and utility spells. As I have learned, fuck that shit like 90% of the time. Just take different types of damage.

That's how I usually play video games. Just stack up on damage. I thought this game would be different but it sure ain't at the start.