Castlevania Collection released on Steam yesterday

dualhunter

2 hours ago, mikechorney said:

Seems to be missing a lot of the games (i.e. didn't see SOTN).

Castlevania is a massive series with a ton of good games. They aren't going to put them all in one collection and they're going to release further collections. This one specifically focuses on the beginnings of the series.

That said, I'm not interested in this since it's digital only, has issues, and I have the most epic Castlevania collection ever. 

3 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Castlevania is a massive series with a ton of good games. They aren't going to put them all in one collection and they're going to release further collections. This one specifically focuses on the beginnings of the series.

That said, I'm not interested in this since it's digital only, has issues, and I have the most epic Castlevania collection ever. 

:shrug:

I'm not a big Castlevania fan -- but I'd always heard the best games were Symphony of the Night, Rondo of Blood and Aria of Sorrow.  None of which are here.

Should this be called the Castlevania Collection (Excluding the REALLY good ones)?

2 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

:shrug:

I'm not a big Castlevania fan -- but I'd always heard the best games were Symphony of the Night, Rondo of Blood and Aria of Sorrow.  None of which are here.

Should this be called the Castlevania Collection (Excluding the REALLY good ones)?

What part of "they're going to release multiple collections" do you not understand?

4 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

:facepalm:

I don't even know how to respond to this kind of stupidity. 

You must be the only Konami apologist left on the planet.

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

He didn't like donut county and bought it off EGS so his opinions are invalid from here on out.

It was boring, and was barely a game.  If you liked "move the cursor (shaped like a hole), over the smallest thing on the screen" -- more power to you.  But to me, it barely felt like a game.  More like a (very) poorly written (barely) interactive flash game.  I bought it on the Epic Game Store -- because it was cheap -- I have no loyalty to any store/platform.

13 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

You must be the only Konami apologist left on the planet.

ROFL! Not even close. I've talked at length here about how awful Konami has been and how I have all this contempt for them, despite them being on of my all time favorite game producers. Konami is practically dead to me. You're just being a massive dolt about this. There have been countless, countless, countless collections over the history of gaming. They've often come in series. I know, because I own a ton of these retro collections across multiple platforms. Konami will be releasing multiple Castlevania collections. This has been established. This is a series with roughly two dozen unique games released in the West, alone, plus many more Japan only exclusives. They were never going to release a complete collection of the series in one package. This first collection here clearly focuses on the origins of the series, the early games, the original style of 2D platforming/action. 

There is nothing remotely controversial about this release. Particularly when there will be more down the road. the only potential gripe about the selection of games one could make is that it doesn't include Rondo of Blood. But I expect it to be on the next collection. If not, then I'll call them stupid.

• Shocked 2

I bought it on Xbox and I'm enjoying it, but there's one huge over-sight for me, and that's the inability to change control schemes. I realize the buttons for Castlevania are mapped similar to the old NES controller, with the B button being 'attack' and the A button being 'jump' but the problem is, 90% of all the platforming games that have come out since the SNES mapped the A or X (playstation) button for jumping. I can't un-train my brain to press the other button for jump.

I finally had to resort to using my Xbox Elite Controller and mapping the buttons through the controller software. It was fine in the easier levels but once I had to rely on pure reflexes, I just couldn't do it. I needed my X 'attack' and A 'jump' config. 

If I didn't have my elite I'd be rage quitting right now. (For the record, Super Castlevania IV kept the original control scheme to the SNES and since the button placement is the same, it controls like a dream.)

If it were called “The Castlevania Collection,” I would agree with @mikechorney

But it’s not, it’s called “Castlevania Anniversary Collection,” which is still not a great name but it doesn’t imply that it’s the only collection or that it’s a collection of the premier games in the series. 

I dunno why you’d dig in on that point. It seems they will release more collections (there are a lot more games in the series than people realize).  

Where in the fuck does it say 'Complete' in the title? Something composed of a group of games is a fucking collection. Why are people arguing over something so straight forward. It doesn't have the games you want, cool that is a valid argument and a reason you won't buy. Has not fuck all to do with the name.

Now onto the release, I dl it last night but only got to play 2 mins of Kid Dracula. I mostly bought the collection to play the Genesis game and maybe a bit of C3. I have the rest in cart form. I do hope these eventually get a short production release later in cart form. 

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

Where in the fuck does it say 'Complete' in the title? Something composed of a group of games is a fucking collection. Why are people arguing over something so straight forward. It doesn't have the games you want, cool that is a valid argument and a reason you won't buy. Has not fuck all to do with the name.

Now onto the release, I dl it last night but only got to play 2 mins of Kid Dracula. I mostly bought the collection to play the Genesis game and maybe a bit of C3. I have the rest in cart form. I do hope these eventually get a short production release later in cart form. 

One person was arguing otherwise and he seems to have relented. 

• Thanks 1

I love how all these "collections" aren't actually proper collections, just a handful of games, filled with garbage or side-games.

Gimme all the games. All of 'em. Or don't bother.

I can fucking emulate all of them very easily and probably more accurately, so at least incentivize me by giving me the good shit all in one package. They're only charging $20 anyway, so just gimme everything for $60.

• Guillotine 1

yeah, they will patch in the music as an option..

they will also eliminate the censorship...I love castlevania before the “metroid-vania” dumb down

i must be one of the few weirdos who enjoyed the N64 Castlevania... specially the “improved” Legacy of Darkness... bad camera, stiff controls but great levels and gameplay scenarios.

I really want to pick this up. I just can't deicide PS4 or Switch. I'm thinking which is less likely to go on sale in the next 8 months. I might end up with both. I don't care as much about the portability. I like the DS4 more than the Pro Controller. While I don't have as such an epic Castlevania Collection mine is not half bad. All these game I have the originals. Even the Japanese versions. I also expect Konami to release a second Castlevania Collection. That I hope has Rondo, SotN and all the GBA and DS games.

7 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

i must be one of the few weirdos who enjoyed the N64 Castlevania... specially the “improved” Legacy of Darkness... bad camera, stiff controls but great levels and gameplay scenarios.

I liked Castlevania 64.

...but I also liked Shadows of the Empire. I don't think I could go back to either one of them. :sick:

13 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

I blame my friend in high school but I also sort of enjoyed the n64 games. Hell my friend beat them multiple times and we’d play them every so often at his place.

N64 “felt” Castlevania in some weird way that other 3D games that tried to be castlevania  didnt...  gothic decor, whip wielding hero, platforming and whatever the hell else goes into the special sauce..  plus the boss battles were great ... stupid dracula kid

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I love how all these "collections" aren't actually proper collections, just a handful of games, filled with garbage or side-games.

Gimme all the games. All of 'em. Or don't bother.

I can fucking emulate all of them very easily and probably more accurately, so at least incentivize me by giving me the good shit all in one package. They're only charging $20 anyway, so just gimme everything for $60.

I could see all the 2D games, though I wonder if they have difficulty getting access to put some of them out? I dunno if Nintendo published some of those GBA ones or not - I just have no clue. 

I don't think it's realistic to want a full series collection with the 3D ones and whatnot. 

The only reason it's not realistic is because gamers love bad deals. Go buy a Seinfeld box set and see how many seasons they randomly pick and choose. Oh, wait, you buy the collection and get the whole collection.

I could understand a cutoff date to keep it to "classics" if they're still actively selling any of the modern games, otherwise it's all just ROMs, and if they want my money, they've gotta offer more.

A series of smaller collections of (COMPLETE) groups of certain games, like the handheld games, the 2D console games, and the 3D games, sure. But on top of that, also include an option for a full collection, like buying a season of a show vs. buying the complete box set.