HBO's "Watchmen" - SDCC trailer

Is this taking place after the comic or in the same time frame? Seems like it is the after affects of the comics with the group of Rorschach’s banning together. I wonder if this is a calling from what was found in the journal Rorschach left behind to be found.

Even though Alan Moore had nothing to do with this(?), that trailer has sparked my interest.  If the story is mostly self-contained instead of trying to be a direct sequel to the original it could end up being something special I think.  There's just a lot of interesting imagery and mysteriousness in that footage that makes me want to watch it.

28 minutes ago, fuckle85 said:

Even though Alan Moore had nothing to do with this(?), that trailer has sparked my interest.  If the story is mostly self-contained instead of trying to be a direct sequel to the original it could end up being something special I think.  There's just a lot of interesting imagery and mysteriousness in that footage that makes me want to watch it.

It looks a lot like a direct sequel, though, right? This looks like the world that we probably get as a result of Rorschach leaving his journal with that paper. I don't see any other scenario where he gets imitators and/or admirers.

1 minute ago, SFLUFAN said:

It's a direct sequel.

There you go. It looked like one to me and I hadn't actually been keeping up with this one.

Eh...I'll probably watch it. I love the book, so I'll go in with tempered expectations and my fingers crossed.

It can be a sequel and still a mostly self-contained story though, no?  There are plenty of movies, comics, games, books etc with sequels like that.  I'm sure it will acknowledge events of the first Watchmen, but not to what extent.

Seems like everyone forgot just how good The Leftovers (Damon Lindelof's most recent work) was. I'm all in for this.

It's a direct sequel taking place 30 years after the Watchmen graphic novel ended. It incorporates elements from the prequel/sequel Watchmen material that was more recently written but this is otherwise its own thing. Should be very interesting. 

Looks bloody fantastic. Guys, it's from the dude who did The Leftovers. It's gonna likely be great. And yes, it's a direct sequel, taking place 30 years later. I believe it takes material from the prequel and sequel novels that were written more recently by other famous comic book writers, as well as doing its own thing.

14 hours ago, TheRealSmallville said:

I'm hoping they got Billy Crudup back as Dr. Manhattan. 

Me too but I doubt it. Given Ozymandias in this trailer says the iconic line Manhattan told him from the graphic novel ("nothing ever ends") that wasn't in the film (one of the film's biggest missteps, Sally Jupiter says it to Night Owl II instead) this seems like a direct sequel to the graphic novel, and is ignoring the film. And I like the film a good bit (the director's cut version that is). Still, that'd be cool. 

7 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Me too but I doubt it. Given Ozymandias in this trailer says the iconic line Manhattan told him from the graphic novel ("nothing ever ends") that wasn't in the film (one of the film's biggest missteps, Sally Jupiter says it to Night Owl II instead) this seems like a direct sequel to the graphic novel, and is ignoring the film. And I like the film a good bit (the director's cut version that is). Still, that'd be cool. 

D'oh! Yep, I actually meant to say "I hope they got Crudup back even though this is a sequel to the comic"...I must have had a stroke or something to forget to type the rest lol 

But yes! I'm hoping for now that they got him in there anyway...I know Doc is CG mo-cap, but Crudup's voice was just perfect for him. He nailed the tone perfectly. So I'm hoping against hope they got him in the studio to record some lines.