Cracked: 5 Reasons The DCEU Is Poised To Make A Comeback

That's a pretty dumb list. Most of the points also apply to Marvel. Yes, Marvel is only introducing more diversity now. But they will do so at the same rate as DC, likely. Yes, Marvel has to rebuild after End Game. But so does DC in its entirety.

The only valid point is that DC can go after more hard-R ratings if they want. 

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

That's a pretty dumb list. Most of the points also apply to Marvel. Yes, Marvel is only introducing more diversity now. But they will do so at the same rate as DC, likely. Yes, Marvel has to rebuild after End Game. But so does DC in its entirety.

The only valid point is that DC can go after more hard-R ratings if they want. 

I think the point of the list is that while most people already wrote the WB/DCEU off, it really isn't in as bad shape as the internet would have you believe. There is a slight element of DC fanboyism in the article, but outside of Justice League, has the WB had what would be considered an outright flop yet? Was Justice League technically a flop financially? If Shazam is a hit, then DC may be back in business. 

45 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I think the point of the list is that while most people already wrote the WB/DCEU off, it really isn't in as bad shape as the internet would have you believe. There is a slight element of DC fanboyism in the article, but outside of Justice League, has the WB had what would be considered an outright flop yet? Was Justice League technically a flop financially? If Shazam is a hit, then DC may be back in business. 

Are people really arguing that the DCEU movies are financial failures or that they're just bad movies? The MCU movies aren't exactly high art, but there's a considerable step up in quality from what DC has been pushing out the last decade. I love comic book movies, so I'd be all in for DC getting their act together. Their problem has been direction and DC doesn't really know what that means. Wonder Woman was a success so someone over there thought it means their movies shouldn't really be all that connected because that's what success looks like...maybe? 

Also, that list is ridiculous because of their number 1. Their number 1 is basically, after Snyder, they can't get any worse.

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

Are people really arguing that the DCEU movies are financial failures or that they're just bad movies? The MCU movies aren't exactly high art, but there's a considerable step up in quality from what DC has been pushing out the last decade. I love comic book movies, so I'd be all in for DC getting their act together. Their problem has been direction and DC doesn't really know what that means. Wonder Woman was a success so someone over there thought it means their movies shouldn't really be all that connected because that's what success looks like...maybe? 

Also, that list is ridiculous because of their number 1. Their number 1 is basically, after Snyder, they can't get any worse.

People were actually making that argument, yes. Suicide Squad in particular.

12 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Ummm... and that hasn't happened yet because why?

Because they had executives that were dumb and thought that Zack Snyder is a some visionary director when he is basically only a visionary cinematographer? This is a company that made The Dark Knight and they squandered that prestige overnight. They could totally beat Marvel in quality with director-focused movies, instead, but they had zero vision and decided to complete with Marvel building a forced shared universe. 

Fox was able to make interesting movies because while the people there made dumb moves, at least a lot of the directors they picked had some kind of vision. 

I personally would love to see them try the more "magical" side of the DC universe.R rated Dark Justice League that really leans into horror aspects or a Constantine film thats more Seven/Silence of the Lambs but with that same "magic" presence. 

On 3/13/2019 at 1:28 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

People were actually making that argument, yes. Suicide Squad in particular.

Yep. I see the argument every time a DC film doesn't break a billion. 

As for Justice League, I do believe it was technically profitable and not a flop. The profit might have only been enough to eat at Burger King, but it avoided the flop label :p 

Ultimately I think they just need to get the budgets down a bit & all of their films would be very profitable. Justice League sold ~$640 million worth of tickets, and would have been very profitable if they hadn't reshot half the film. $640M is still a buttload of tickets, and 90% of films out there would kill for that kind of business. I think even JL proved that there IS a market for DC stuff, and the general public does dig their output (not as much as MCU, but they still like it) , regardless of what the internet might say. They just need to up the fun factor & get people to want to come back 2/3/4 times like Aquaman did (and like how Shazam! looks). 

The fourth reason of this list is the only "wtf?" statement I see. Marvel built their film franchise from nothing to where they are now, and the veteran actors involved are simply done and going out on a high note (Endgame not ruining the franchise withstanding). And now with the Fox buyout and newer franchise movies being touted as the 'end-all-be-all' of top tier social statements, Marvel is simply repositioning on a well established platform.

DC is the one who has painful rebuilding to do. Batflek is gone, Superman is gone, Suicide Squad is rebooting, Flash is in developmental hell, Green Lantern is being avoided for some reason, no one cares about the Cyborg character (and never will as a stand alone franchise character), while Martian Manhunter is still lost. About all they have is a franchise based on an okay Wonder Woman movie getting a sequel, a well received Aquaman movie that will most likely get a sequel, an upcoming Joker movie that people are more interested in the character than they are the actors and staff, and....? Some people clamoring to see a Snyder cut of the Justice League movie :thumbdown:

DC might have everything to gain while Marvel has only to ruin the success they have right now. But DC has a lot of rebuilding to do.

Most of the DCEU's lack of success stems from dumb creative decisions, doesn't it?  The mishandling of Superman vs. Batman, the Hot Topic aesthetic of Suicide Squad, the lack of character/story/dialogue writing that can hold a candle to Marvel's EU.  If not for the success of a few movies like WW and AM, I'd say the obvious thing to do is starting from second one again with a complete reboot/reimagining, just as if it were any other superhero franchise, but it's not that easy.

On 3/16/2019 at 7:42 PM, IdeaOfEvil said:

The fourth reason of this list is the only "wtf?" statement I see. Marvel built their film franchise from nothing to where they are now, and the veteran actors involved are simply done and going out on a high note (Endgame not ruining the franchise withstanding). And now with the Fox buyout and newer franchise movies being touted as the 'end-all-be-all' of top tier social statements, Marvel is simply repositioning on a well established platform.

DC is the one who has painful rebuilding to do. Batflek is gone, Superman is gone, Suicide Squad is rebooting, Flash is in developmental hell, Green Lantern is being avoided for some reason, no one cares about the Cyborg character (and never will as a stand alone franchise character), while Martian Manhunter is still lost. About all they have is a franchise based on an okay Wonder Woman movie getting a sequel, a well received Aquaman movie that will most likely get a sequel, an upcoming Joker movie that people are more interested in the character than they are the actors and staff, and....? Some people clamoring to see a Snyder cut of the Justice League movie :thumbdown:

DC might have everything to gain while Marvel has only to ruin the success they have right now. But DC has a lot of rebuilding to do.

I think they also have Green Lantern Corps, two Jared Leto’s Joker movies and Ezra Miller working on The Flash script.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2468483/the-flashs-ezra-miller-is-now-working-on-the-script-with-a-dc-comics-heavyweight

14 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

I think they also have Green Lantern Corps, two Jared Leto’s Joker movies and Ezra Miller working on The Flash script.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2468483/the-flashs-ezra-miller-is-now-working-on-the-script-with-a-dc-comics-heavyweight

I just read that the Cyborg actor isn't returning to his role and that a stand alone movie is cancelled. But I haven't heard it from any of the websites I frequent, let alone from other like-minded know it alls who care about these kinds of movies, lol

https://fandomwire.com/2019/03/18/ray-fisher-reportedly-not-returning-to-cyborg-role/

2 hours ago, Dre801 said:

They need to figure out what they want to do with Batman and Superman going forward.

They had a solid Superman(IMO), and I didn't hate Affleck's take on Bats.

Matt Reeves is doing Batman, it’s in good hands.